Louis C.K. Quit The Internet

HardOCP News

[H] News
Louis C.K., one of the funniest people in comedy today, says he has quit the internet. Well, at least for now. Although he jokes around in the clip from Conan's show below, a lot of the stuff he says about the internet is spot on.

You don't quit the internet, It's like saying I quit the TV. You might quit social media, if you were retarded enough in the first place to get lured into it.

Having nearly instant access to all information is addictive, it's hard to stop!

The Internet is pretty big. You may quit WWW, Facebook, Twitter, etc., but email is still pretty valuable. Netflix/Hulu/other's are great. VoIP.

It's hard to completely unplug from the internet if you're already in pretty deep.

I love vacations where I unplug for a week or so, though. Just zero contact with anything. I LOVE taking my kids camping - not even a cell signal. :D I love it.

The Internet is pretty big. You may quit WWW, Facebook, Twitter, etc., but email is still pretty valuable. Netflix/Hulu/other's are great. VoIP.

It's hard to completely unplug from the internet if you're already in pretty deep.

I love vacations where I unplug for a week or so, though. Just zero contact with anything. I LOVE taking my kids camping - not even a cell signal. :D I love it.

I do a week every year nearly unplugged. "Nearly" meaning only checking weather reports as possible. Much slower paced and relaxed.

I don't think he's spot on about anything. In fact the things he mentions are completely alien to me.

Why would you google anything that you don't want to see? I never ever did that. I usually google things that I want to see. And sometimes I'm even desperate enough to use other search engines.
My phone has internet disabled, unless I need it for some reason, so it will never go "bling". Of course when I turn it on once every week maybe it goes bling 100 times. But I don't give a shit. I wish I could turn off notifications completely.
I'll go on facebook maybe once a month just in case some long lost friend tried to contact me there. And I never had an instagram on twitter account. In fact I still don't understand how twitter works, and what's the point of it.

Who are we discussing again? Some guy that isn't all that funny (really, he's not) that partook of Internet fame and fortune to flame his fire a bit brighter then decided "ok, enough of that shit, I'm established now, fuck the Internet and the lamers that live on it..." or something to that effect?

So, who? ;)

quite honestly, i'm so burnt out on technology, that I've been turning myself off so to speak. Phones away in the evening, no fucking texts. I think the smart phone is a great and terrible device. Learn to live away from it after hours.

Who are we discussing again? Some guy that isn't all that funny (really, he's not) that partook of Internet fame and fortune to flame his fire a bit brighter then decided "ok, enough of that shit, I'm established now, fuck the Internet and the lamers that live on it..." or something to that effect?

So, who? ;)

If you watched the video you would realize he did it for his kid, not himself. I think he is spot on, too many parents stuck to devices rather than parenting.

If you watched the video you would realize he did it for his kid, not himself. I think he is spot on, too many parents stuck to devices rather than parenting.

So, you want me to watch a video on the Internet of some guy talking about not using the Internet ?

The inherent irony there is Titanic in proportion, seriously. :p

This was a bit he did for the show. It was something funny to talk about and filled time. Thus the segment producer walking to get the letter.

Louie likes to bring his kids into his act/show, like the quitting Cinnabon bit, and talk about the craziness of being a parent.

The fact it made national news is the most funny part.

Who knows? People like this are always on late night talk shows for no apparent reason.

He just completed a TV(?) series that he completely funded and distributed on his own called 'Horace and Pete'.

LouisCK.net

Last edited:
To those who aren't familiar with Louis CK and didn't think that was funny, your're right, he actually wasn't in that interview. But if you listen to his stand-up and don't get your knickers in a knot over a crass comedian, he's about as funny as it gets in my opinion. Him and Bill Burr are my favorites at the moment.

As someone who grew up before the internet, I can see his point. The internet is a great tool and it's super useful, but it's not something I would center my life around.

I can't believe you guys don't think Louis is funny! He's brilliant. I'm honestly curious who you think is funny?

Watch this bit. The video is a little choppy, SJW warning- it's a little offensive and 100% NSFW, but funny as hell -

He doesn't need to 'quit the internet' but just assert some self control. For some people I'm sure a timely response to particular emails or messages is necessary but for most of us, things can just wait.

I can't believe you guys don't think Louis is funny! He's brilliant. I'm honestly curious who you think is funny?
He has some moments in stand up, but when his TV series Louie first started I found it disturbing, it was self loathing and self shaming to the point where I was feeling bad about it. And when I watch entertainment I expect to feel good about it, not bad.

Who I find funny? Ricky Gervais, George Carlin, Henry Rollins, to name a few famous ones. Which is funny because Louis CK said that his inspiration for comedy was George Carlin, but I don't think he'll ever achive that level.

You are right on:
You might quit social media, if you were retarded enough in the first place to get lured into it.
The internet itself is mostly okay. It's the way people use it that's the problem.

Who I find funny? Ricky Gervais, George Carlin,

You might also like: John Mulaney, Bill Burr, Dave Chapelle, Patton Oswalt, Bill Hicks, Lewis Black, David Cross, Brian Regan, Zach Galifianakis, Steven Wright, Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr, Russell Peters, Brian Posehn, Richard Pryor, Jeff Ross, Doug Stanhope,

:D

Thanks everybody. We really appreciate knowing you don't think Louis C.K. is funny. How about contributing to a conversation?

If you watched the video, you'll see he was actually making an interesting point about how you interact with people (especially your children) when you're on your device all the time. For as many people on here that seem to think that's not them (which maybe it isn't, I don't know) there sure as shit are a lot of people out there that DO do this, and frankly that's probably the audience for TV talk shows. So drop the pretentious act and learn to think or gtfo.

Back