Loudest/Fastest fans

zipdrive

Limp Gawd
Despite the trend for "silent" pc's, I want to go in the opposite direction. I want the fastest, high cfm fans available, and I don't care if they drown out a 747 on take-off.
Anyone with recommendations for highest cfm fans for me, please post. I need 3 120mm, one 92mm, and 2 80mm.

they're going in a cms stacker case...i'll post pics, and a wave file when all is said and done.

Chernobyl1 said:
careful not to stick a finger in one :D

Yeah, those will definately hurt you badly unlike the normal fans which just make you whince. And keep any pets away from them.

lol, you will live with that for about 5 min... good luck!

i want some a/v footage! :D

pawstar said:
Yeah, those will definately hurt you badly unlike the normal fans which just make you whince. And keep any pets away from them.

yea.. say goodbye to the tip of your finger.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I was just about to start a similar topic...

I'm building a rack mounted rig which will be used in harsh (read: hot) environments and as a result will need a few high speed fans to cool the thing. Noise isn't an issue at all.

The server case I'm using only has provision to mount fans that are the standard depth of 25mm... and all the high performance Deltas and Vantec Tornados are 38mm thick.

So, what are the fastest, highest airflow 80mm and 120mm fans that stick to the standard 25mm depth?

the vantec tornadoes are the highest cfm fans I know of BUT the are loud as hell......

i ave two of the thermaltake blue LED fans. they are a 25mm depth fan that flow just over 90cfm. you can use the included thermal sensor to automatically adjust fan speed, or the included rheostat to manually adjust speed and noise to your taste. i also have a panaflow 120mmx38mm fan that flows around 100cfm i believe and also a 120mmx38mm delta that flows just a hair over 130cfm.

right now current config is

thermaltake 120mm smartfan for front intake
generic blue led 80mm side intake
panaflow 120mm exhaust
delta 120mm on SI-97A heatsink via 92-120mm adapter - hole in side of case so it draws in cold air (no ductwork)

and yes...bastard is loud - very loud...then again the barton core XP is hitting 2380 at roughly 1.875v to 1.9v and never sees more than 43c under full 100% load for 24+ hours in enclosed room. case temps at that time are 30c.

i figure i can do better with some scythe silent fans and a near silent 120mm option if i run some ductwork to the CPU heatsink. i do not anticipate losing any overclocking speed.

scoob8000 said:
I got a couple of 7000 rpm 60mm screamers laying around that I bought by accident once..

Shaved a good chunk of skin off my knuckles more than once with that bad boy... :/

http://sidewindercomputers.com/de12gf.html

HOLY 220 CFM?

Thats nothing. Look at the TFB1212UHE it dumps out 234.35 CFM. Now if you go into 172mm fans, Delta has got a fan that pumps out in excess of 400CFM.

used to be you could get fans similar to these at mpja.com for about 8 bucks each, i had two and kind of wish i hadn't thrown them away. they are pretty killer fans not only in size but in air pushing capability, but i went the noise nazi route and decided that quiet > cfm and now everything is undervolted.

rotron

what's really irritating right now is that i figured out that the chipset fan on my mobo is the loudest thing in the case, and it sits underneath my gfx card so i can't stick a large passive heat sink on there :(

only 141 cfm?

weak.

Remember to buy fan grilles. if your significant other sticks their finger into the fan.. expect the doghouse.

I thought my two 120mm 114cfm fans were nuts.. ZOMG! I'm upgrading.

But $50 a piece?!

-Brandon

He has 6, not 3.

I recommend a fan controller. They're pretty cheap.

Bbq said:
He has 6, not 3.

I recommend a fan controller. They're pretty cheap.

The cheap ones are not going to work. Each 80mm or 92mm delta draws @ ~20W and the 120mm draw almost 40W. You would need like 2 bigNG's (as those have four 40W channels in PWM mode)

thats why i chose the triple bladed deltas. 141cfm at 10 watts each. the best fan controller i could find for handling a high load was the sunbeam rheobus...20 watts on each channel.
i have 2 fans on each one. i couldn't find a controller that could handle a higher wattage than that...

zipdrive said:
guide me towards a fan controller that'll work with these monsters.

Like I mentioned, the T-Balancer bigNG is capapble of running those fans. Its actually four channels each capable of 40W in PWM mode. So that would be able to run three 120mm deltas and two 92mm deltas in parallel. http://www.mcubed-store.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_35&products_id=169

There is also the miniNG can also run them and it has 50W per channel in PWM mode but it only has two channels http://www.mcubed-store.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=135

Oh yeah, and you can also slave the miniNG under the bigNG.

the fans came with a single wire for speed readings and a double wire for power. I would use the single blue lead to control the speed?
pict0333iq6.jpg

The single wire only reports speed... It cannot control it.

Controlling is all voltage based, and you might need a 3pin to MOLEX adaptor if you want to use that fan controller.

zipdrive said:
I hate to say it...you people were right. The noise is relatively unbearable for the benefit. Still, I had to try...just wish it had'nt cost me $150 to tryit. Short video, but loud!
http://media.putfile.com/loud-fans
[url=http://media.putfile.com/loud-fans]Click here to watch loud-fans[/URL]
Props to you for biting the bullet and ordering them! Had I extra money, you can bet I'd order the UHE model of every size Delta just because. I've got four Deltas in my system now, but they're of the wimpy EFB-L variety :p

I love Deltas, though, for their robustness and quality.

You really don't need the tacho wire (the blue one) for most speed controllers. It just tells the controller how fast its running.

I see from the pic you got the GHE version of the 120mm. Did you get the UHE of the 92mm & 80mm or just the GHE for those ones as well?

Excessively loud fans were maybe in style four or five years ago (LOUDER = FASTER), but not so much these days. :eek:

I wonder if the heatsinks got warm enough to actually activate the heatpipes...

pawstar said:
You really don't need the tacho wire (the blue one) for most speed controllers. It just tells the controller how fast its running.

I see from the pic you got the GHE version of the 120mm. Did you get the UHE of the 92mm & 80mm or just the GHE for those ones as well?

got the Delta 80x38mm TFB0812UHE and the Delta 92x38mm TFB0912UHE but the Delta 120x76mm GFB1212VHW was just too big to fit in the front panels of my Coolermaster Stacker case. Also, it was too wide for the exhaust outlet with the Monsoon 2 Tec cpu heatsink.

You should duct the monsoon right to that beast :O. Mount it on the outside with a fan grill ;).

Knew you would ;).

BTW... could you maybe please rapidshare that movie? Putfile isn't working for me :)

I'm quite interested XD

Back