Loud & Hot- Help!!! - Lian Li PC65, TruePower480, 9800XT

bnason

n00b
My system with all of the above is loud!!! I'm using the stock HSF which, according to AsusProbe, is generall about 4000 RPMs. The monitor on the AsusProbe is showing the Chassis fans operating at about 2000 RPM. The 9800XT fans are going at about 4-5000 RPMs too (and the facking chip is at like 65 C? Is that safe?)

I cut up some anti-static foam and taped it inside the case (about 5 strips places around the case), hoping that would absorb some noise, but it didn't much. Am I just stuck with a loud case with all of these fans, or is there something I can do?

Maybe a new HSF?

how do you guys get annoyed with the sound of yours fan?
i have like maybe 6 fans plus the heatsink, and psu running at the same time and i still dont get bothered.
get one of those quiet psu and try to reduce the amount of fans u have in there. unless u really need it. i put those extra 4 case fans because they were jus sitting in a box.

It doesn't bother me; it bothers the missus :(

She was pissed enough at my 7.1 speaker setup, with the noise whlie she studies in the office (we share an 'office' - my games, her laptop station), I can't leave my comp. on without bugging her silly.

Anyway, yah, I may get a diff. PSU... maybe I'll need to RMA mine from newegg. Any recommendations on a nice, quiet PSU? It needs 450+.

Thanks!

I may be mistaken but the trupower is supposedly one of the quieter psu's. It's fans speed up if your system is too warm but otherwise mines fairly quiet.

Buy some lower rpm fans for your case and cpu from www.svc.com or www.bestbyte.net first before you go whole-hog on your other hardware...i doubt that your gpu fan & psu is that loud to begin with.

The foam idea won't work well because it isn't dense enough, a cheap solution would be to buy several mousepads made from that mushy dense foam stuff and cut it to fit in your case (you can get em for $1 each). Or get that akasa paxmate soundproofing material available at the stores above.

65C for the PC is fine, and maybe you should look into larger, slower rotating case fans. I love my 120mm fans. You should also look into a heatsink with a 92mm fan.

Originally posted by bnason
Maybe a new HSF?
....I could not believe how quiet my new Zalman 7000 Cu is. I didn't even use the little rehostat that comes with it; it runs about 2700 RPM W.F.O. and my P4 is currently running around 32C idle / 42C full load with Artic Ceramique between the two. That, and a Vantec Thermo Flow thermally controlled case fan.....and the main box is quiet as can be. Wow....what an improvement.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

Okay, an hour of Neverwinter Nights, and I'm at 53c... this seems high! If anyone could help offer advice on why this might be the case, and what I could do to bring it down, that would be great.

Okay, an hour of Neverwinter Nights, and I'm at 53c... this seems high! If anyone could help offer advice on why this might be the case, and what I could do to bring it down, that would be great.

Were you sure to apply some type of thermal paste between the heatsink and the cpu core? If not that could be your problem for not having a good contact between the cpu and the heatsink.

Take some of these other guys advice and pick up and nice quality heatsink with a large 80mm or 92mm fan that you can allow to spin with lower rpms and create less noise.

I gummed a lot of the antec silver thermal paste on the cpu and heatsink before attaching the hsf. not too much, but everything was covered. if i install a new hsf, how do i get the old paste off the cpu?

what cpu are you running?

I have a pc-60, with rifle bearing cooler masters at 7volts on the rheobus

I also use a thermalright slk-800u + thermaltake smartfan II for my cpu. the smartfan is set around 3400 rpm's with the rheostat (the edge of the quiet zone) and my 3.2c runs at 36c max.

Use come arctic silver ceramique on your cpu, get a better heatsink, and better fans. As i recall the stock fans with the lian li aren't the greatest.

You can also get a decent fan controller. Also, Not sure how you did on cabling, but you probably need to clean that up. It can restrict alot of airflow. Check the cool case's forum for some advice.

If it wasn't for the lights on my fans, I wouldn't think my system was on most of the time, it's that quiet.

I suggest getting a new quiet HSF and new thermal paste...Some AS5 would be good...

That would give you better temps and a quieter computer also...

Just ordered a super quiet Zalman HSF. Should arrive on Tuesday - I'll post if there's any difference.

Thanks all!

I gummed a lot of the antec silver thermal paste.....
....whoa. Stop right there.

Take five and read the instructions on how to apply AS. "Gummed a lot" may be one reason your temps are a little high.....

For cleanup, "rubbing" alcohol is good, but a little can of isopropal alcohol from the paint section at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. is lots better. The stuff from the SMT lab is even better......:D Rubbing alcohol usually has water and fragrance and lanolin in it (read the label) so if you use that, use a dry Q-tip or very soft cotton cloth to wipe things off really well before the thermal paste goes on.

Good Luck with the Zalman - I'll bet you'll think it kicks ass......:cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

Interesting!!!

"On an Intel P4 type CPU with a large metal heat spreader, put a small amount of Arctic Silver onto the center of the heat spreader as shown in the photo.
Only a small amount of Arctic Silver is needed, about the size of an uncooked grain of short-grain white rice or 1/2 of a BB"

So... for a k8, which has the heat spreader, you don't actually spread the compound on it with a razor blade / cc?

You just:

1) Spread compound on the HSF. Do you wipe it away after it's applies as in step 7 here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Then...

2) Drop the 1/2 bb of paste onto the CPU, but you don't spread it right? Just drop and cover with the HSF?

If this is correct, I totally f'd up even though my CPU temp is staying 40-55. I put a good sized LAYER on the CPU and spread it, and didn't wipe off the HSF after I applied it there. Meaning way too much paste?

So a dot on the cpu, and you don't spread it around -- y ou just place the HSF on the dot and let it squish?...

For the HSF, please tell me if this is right (Thanks!)

Apply to only the area the CPU will touch (which is damend hard to figure out). Spread around with plastic bag.

Then wipe ALL of it off with a lint free rag, leaving only the remains in the microscopic cracks.

is that right?

....yes. That's what they say to do. Worked great with A.C. I put down a spot not quite the size of a BB. Hey, try it and watch your temps. You tell us if it worked or not.

B.B.S.

Back