Lots of Power, Nothing to use it on...

Zxcs

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, since I work away from home during the week, my main rig just sits at home crunching FAH 5 days a week. I was thinking of something to let my computer "do" while im not at it, of course I will still keep folding.

I've thought of games servers, but due to the crappy UK connection speeds, I only have 2mbs down, 256k up. Anyone have any ideas what I could do? I'm open to suggestions, maybe even ones that require me to install nix, I just dont like this beast sitting and home hammering the hell outta protein folds.

Thanks, Zxcs

P.S. System specs in sig

Damn, thats quite a computer you have there. Isnt there some program that lets your computer help solve cancer or something? I remember hearing about ti a while ago, you could try that I guess.

You could subscribe to NetFlix and rip/encode DVD's to DIVX or XVID and then make them available on Bit Torrent. Or you could crack hashed passwords. Of course, you'd want to make sure you are doing this legally first, not violating copyrights or intruding into private systems. I would probably look into some kind of photo/video editing systems that utilize dual processors, or games that do the likewise.

Just curious, why did you buy a dual processor system?

Naldo said:
Damn, thats quite a computer you have there. Isnt there some program that lets your computer help solve cancer or something? I remember hearing about ti a while ago, you could try that I guess.
Yup, its called folding at home, and its what I currently do.
mryerse said:
Or you could crack hashed passwords
I already have 30 gig of md5/lm hashes that I made on my crappy p3 for all my rainbow needs, and I dont really feel like making 1 - 15 md5 numeric-alpha hashes.
mryerse said:
Just curious, why did you buy a dual processor system?
To be one of the few dual CPU overclockers, also I had £5k to burn. Making a gaming/overclocking/benching rig soon when I get the cash.

Zxcs said:
To be one of the few dual CPU overclockers, also I had £5k to burn. Making a gaming/overclocking/benching rig soon when I get the cash.

Now that you have accomplished that, considered selling it? Just a thought.

UK connections, I'm sitting on a crappy 512k, hopefully going to 1Mbps in the very near future. PS: You live unbelievably close to me (within reason), I'll be going to Sheffield tomorrow for Uni :)

memphis_1220 said:
Now that you have accomplished that, considered selling it? Just a thought.
Why would I want to sell this beast? I wouldn't get anywhere near what I payed. Plus I enjoy being able to rip/encode dvds/music, render the few maya things I actually make in a few minutes and play all my games on highest graphics. I just dont know what to do when I'm not on my computer

Jason711 said:
run SETI :D .... what if the ET's have the cure for cancer?
If they did it would take us billions of years to reach them so they can tell us it =P
I'd rather find a cure for cancer here on earth :D

You could start a CS server and give me admin :p

Someone posted a cool thing in the amd forum, its a start of life program, the faster your computer is the faster it reproduces and starts new strands of bacteria and such, and after a couple of weeks possibly get animals :D

You could always setup the box as a development box with user-mode Linux on it and done out shells/CPU time to open source projects. This will allow them to port more software to work on the AMD64 platform. The problem for most people is lack of access to the equipment.

You could always setup the box as a development box with user-mode Linux on it and done out shells/CPU time to open source projects. This will allow them to port more software to work on the AMD64 platform. The problem for most people is lack of access to the equipment.

That is actually a decent idea in theory.

Wolf31o2 said:
This is a very good idea, but there's two slight hitches:
1. I'm very very very nooby to nix, as I have only ever had one computer with it on, and all I did with it was surf webpages.
2. Due to this fact, I think the shells would be quite a big security hole.

btw, the OCs are stable, will get higher when I get 3500 RAM

bump
Aegri Somnia said:
Micron doesn't list it on their site, but....

http://www.komusa.com/1gbkit5fcopc.html
That isn't registered, I dont really careabout ECC as I disable it anyways (4 gig with ecc can stress memory controller). There is pc3500 registered out there, I'll post a link when I can be bothered to find the webpage =P

Yeah, ECC isn't important to me either but I'd love to have registered 3500 in my system...

that setup doesnt need pc3500. it will smoke just about every other desktop/workstation in the world as is.

unless that extra ~3% will nudge him up one more slot. :D

Zxcs said:
That isn't registered, I dont really careabout ECC as I disable it anyways (4 gig with ecc can stress memory controller).

And registered doesn't? I thought both added latency.

Also, do you disable in the BIOS? If the memory controller is integrated on the CPU, how is that possible?

This would be really cool to learn about.

Lots of Power, Nothing on which to use it... :D

nice rig. You mentioned you already dable in graphics and video, you run F@H, that doesn't leave much else thats actually purposeful that will run unattended. There are other distributed computing projects besides Seti and Folding, such as predicting weather and finding primes. Without high upload speeds a game server wouldn't be able to utilize very much of that power, but you could try anyway. Or you could always donate it to the corran_horn314 fund, its a very charitable organization i assure you :)

Hopefully you fold for the [H]orde with that beast. The folding will max out both CPU's, with a pair of WU's folding at the same time. I'm positive some of the folks over in the DC forum would love to hear the kinda times you get with a monster like that. My P4 3.2E takes roughly 31.5 minutes per step on a 600 point Gromac. Team 33 is always interested in the experiences of it's own, as well as other teams members. Folks from OCAU keep dropping by to tease. We need all the help we can get.

Ok, you are on the team (thankfully). Even the folks on our team with 50+ boxes folding for us, would be impressed with the power of you're rig. Checked you're stats at ExtremeOverclockers, and that one box outfolds all 4 of my rigs. I guess I'd better figure out how to install the Lightspeed I have, gathering dust, due to my own ignorance.

Why has no one asked this? Can we see some pics of this monster. I'm curious about the vapochill setup. That just sounds SICK.

Zxcs said:
If they did it would take us billions of years to reach them so they can tell us it =P
I'd rather find a cure for cancer here on earth :D

if is a large word. what if it would not take them long at all? what if it would take us billions of years to find a cure?

but back on subject, he should run SETI. :D

Just curious Zxcs, but what are the details on your board (BIOS, etc). I haven't kept up with hardware for the past several months. I know that board didn't allow OC'ing at first, so I'm wondering if you modded it or anything. :)

And I still vote for solving crimes and getting into adventures. :D

dont run prime95. you are aware of what they do with the primes they find right? like, the 100k$ is nothing for em.

Dark_Orison said:
dont run prime95. you are aware of what they do with the primes they find right? like, the 100k$ is nothing for em.

what?

QHalo said:
Why has no one asked this? Can we see some pics of this monster. I'm curious about the vapochill setup. That just sounds SICK.
I'll take some pics of the nekkid green monster this weekend. Its not pretty :D
Moog said:
Just curious Zxcs, but what are the details on your board (BIOS, etc). I haven't kept up with hardware for the past several months. I know that board didn't allow OC'ing at first, so I'm wondering if you modded it or anything
The board doesn't allow overclocking via BIOS. I am looking for a soft/hard mod that would let me enable HT via bios. At the moment I use clockgen, it registers the PCI speed raising with my overclocks but it doesn't, only the SilliconImage SATA ports do, and I don't use those.
paulmofyourhand said:
so im guessing the pci/agp lock works?
Yup
I've heard of some newer boards coming out with OC'ing features, but it'll be a few months before I get one of em.

prime numbers are used for credit card encoding. they take 2 huges primes numbers and multiplicate em together to get a nearly impossible to break key. it is possible to break it but it would take a few years for a normal desktop cpu to get it. Thats why i said their is a lot of money to make there :)

Dark_Orison said:
prime numbers are used for credit card encoding. they take 2 huges primes numbers and multiplicate em together to get a nearly impossible to break key. it is possible to break it but it would take a few years for a normal desktop cpu to get it. Thats why i said their is a lot of money to make there :)

primes are the basis for pretty much the entire e-economy right now, they are also used for other data that needs to be kept secret not just credit cards. $billions rest on not being able to factor large numbers. that having been said, you need to work on your english... unless you don't natively speak english, in that case good job :p

planetary said:
Here is a link to some interesting stuff.
Good link, I find some of the cryptography ones pretty cool but they aren't really productive, I mean crunching numbers till I find a prime with 10 million digits may sound cool (geeky?). But it doesn't do me alotta good.

Ageri: I'm not sure what the significance of that link is with regards to my statement. I'm not condemning you for posting it in response by an means, by the way. I didn't mean there wasn't a detrimental effect on the memory latency when using ECC, I just was saying that ECC wasn't something that I cared about on my particular system and would buy RAM without it. I was more interested in where one could obtain PC3500 that would work in an Opteron MB.
Thanks for the link, though. It is pretty cool to see actual benchmarks that show the performance differences between ECC and non.

Order said:
Thanks for the link, though. It is pretty cool to see actual benchmarks that show the performance differences between ECC and non.

Sorry, should have posted text too...

That's the only reason I posted it. Was a cool article. I always thought the large benchmark hit came with ECC, with a smaller one for registered. It's the opposite.

I have always prefered to not use either.

Yeah, I don't see why any "normal" user would use ECC on a gaming-type system or other enthusiast oriented platform. I do see why it can be good to have on a dual-Opteron used in databases and stuff would want the added protection, though. The more RAM, the more chances that there would be some type of error down the line. I'm probably going to opt for ECC with my upcoming system as I will be having 8gb. I don't know, though.

Are you running more than one instance of FAH on it? You could set up 2 instances of FAH on each cpu, you'd have 4 proteins going at once at pretty descent speeds. I can't think of anything better for it to be doing than crunching proteins. You are folding for team 33 right? :) We need all the help we can get right now. Hit the dc forum and you'll see why.

Back