Lots of BSOD may lead to new i5 or i7 build

cpnhowdy

Limp Gawd
Two fold question:

Recently Ive been getting BSOD every time I try to copy a file to another device, such as copying to an external HDD or even streaming file to my xbox xbmc. Sometimes will get BSOD right after a reboot. This machine has been in use for about 5 years so I cant really complain.
I get alot of memory leaks lately with various applications. So could it be a RAM problem?

If Im unable to find the cause, Ill be looking to upgrade while using some of the leftover parts.

I was looking to get the i7-860 for about $280 but saw I could save about $80 on the
i5-750 and then in a year or two buy a used i7 for cheap.
Anyone foresee any problems with the following build?

Thanks

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Web surfing, trading ( tradestation, Metatrader), GNS3 dynamips, some gaming but not hardcore ( 5 hr/wk)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$800
3) Where do you live?
Tokyo
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Intel Boxed Core i5 i5-750 2.66GHz 8M LGA1156 BX80605I5750

Intel Boxed X25-V Value SATA SSD 40GB SSDSA2MP040G2R5

Corsair DDR3 6GB CMX6GX3M3A1600C9

MSI P55-GD65

Windows 7 Home Premium

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

DVD Pioneer DVR-AO6J
PS Antec TP-550 watt
XFX 8800 GTS
Lian Li case
2x 1T hdd
LCD Benq 24"
SB X-fi ( but will most likely just use onboard sound from new mb)

6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
24"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
This week or next

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Do no need SLI/Crossfire, nor RAID
Need stability and and hopefully 4+ years life

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
No

The parts you selected looks good. Memory modules are at 1.65V and MSI mobo uses all Solid State Capacitors. Looks good.

Back