LOTR case - check it out!!

dunedan

n00b
I've been working with Robert Harvey of So-Trickcomputers in developing a LOTR "theme" case. This was to be "Mt. Doom" and after a few months, the product is finished and I'm speechless!

The case started out as a Lian-Li 6099B. Front bezel was cut out to accomodate two anodized grills, all fans replaced with red LED fans, power and HDD LEDs changed to yellow and red, respectively. Back outside grills are Black Riders and back inside grills (not shown) are Nazgul.

All the cables are sleeved in yellow, IDE cables in red or yellow.

And the best part, a custom-etched window with glow-wire illumination, showing the two lines on the inside and outside of Sauron's ring!

Robert really got into the design and really exceeded anything I could have come up with!

Motherboard is an Abit IS-7, which has a red PCB. I used Geil Golden Dragon RAM with a golden yellow PCB and red dragon eye LED. CDRW and DVD drive started out life beige, and I used black vinyl dye to finish them black.

mt-doom-2.jpg

mt-doom-3.jpg

If you're interested in more pix, here are the URLs:

Link1
Link2
Link3

not too bad at all, nice and clean :)

got a better pic of the inside?

looks good, but blue power supply = teh noes in that case;)

you should also get something cut into the opposite side panel (motherboard side) and into the front plexi cover.

cool theme:D (the third one really really kicked ass)

I'm working on getting an applique for the other side -- the stylized "eye of sauron" from the second edition printing of the books.

Sent the design off to shatteredweb.com for a quote.

That is impressive work. ;)

Been thinking about doing my own mod. I've got the cutoff wheels, the time, the boredom, everything... Just don't know what to do. :p

It was sort of a comedy of errors with the case -- Robert was super busy (he's moving to Texas); some parts were on backorder, and KoolPCMods laser etcher had broken down.

It was all a matter of being patient - I think it paid off quite well.

I know this is probably going to come off sarcastic or be interpereted wrongly but for my own edification...how much of the work/design did you actually do on that case/computer? Other than pay for all of it?

And just so I don't come off as a real big ass, I do think its pretty cool. I'm actually in the process of making my own LOTR case. I'll post pics and everything when I finally get it done.

Should make use of some of the space on the top of the case.

Like add something more LOTR-y

Because, IMO, aside from the window, that case really doesn't have alot of do with LOTR :p

Nice work though.

I always feel that I can do more to a case *after* I get it, rather than go full tilt at the very beginning.

I did design the window and I worked with Robert to figure out the glow wire vs. CCL window lighting - this was an issue of not only looking great, but having a cool technology behind it. We also worked out the cut out on the front. Airflow for the front fans in these cases is not really optimal and it was fun to do some laminar flow analysis.

We also worked out a lot of internal stealthing for the case. I should have taken pictures below I started loading the components. :(

OK, lot's of folks have CCL lighting in a case. Depending on your environment and your sense of hearing, the inverters and the tubes can be an annoying and buzzing distraction. Plus, they use more power. Plus they are more delicate. Here, I have a subtle glow effect, the same way Frodo saw the fiery letters "as from a great distance"

My next steps are getting a red or red/yellow applique for the mobo side. I'll be using the eye of Sauron (here) from shatteredweb.com and probably a lighted bezel from the guys at KoolPCMods. I may also anodize the inside of the case if I get the itch :)

To me, the journey is more fun than the destination. Same way, I also have a "Green Lantern Classic" (Hal Jordan vs. Kyle Rayner) case that I'm working on.

Originally posted by dunedan
I always feel that I can do more to a case *after* I get it, rather than go full tilt at the very beginning.

I did design the window and I worked with Robert to figure out the glow wire vs. CCL window lighting - this was an issue of not only looking great, but having a cool technology behind it. We also worked out the cut out on the front. Airflow for the front fans in these cases is not really optimal and it was fun to do some laminar flow analysis.

We also worked out a lot of internal stealthing for the case. I should have taken pictures below I started loading the components. :(

OK, lot's of folks have CCL lighting in a case. Depending on your environment and your sense of hearing, the inverters and the tubes can be an annoying and buzzing distraction. Plus, they use more power. Plus they are more delicate. Here, I have a subtle glow effect, the same way Frodo saw the fiery letters "as from a great distance"

My next steps are getting a red or red/yellow applique for the mobo side. I'll be using the eye of Sauron (here) from shatteredweb.com and probably a lighted bezel from the guys at KoolPCMods. I may also anodize the inside of the case if I get the itch :)

To me, the journey is more fun than the destination. Same way, I also have a "Green Lantern Classic" (Hal Jordan vs. Kyle Rayner) case that I'm working on.

Thanks for that link. ;) I think it gave me a great idea for my XBox dome mod. :p Possibly NERV or something else...

I'm also considering doing some front panel mods on my case, although with the USB and front audio, it might not be possible. :(

Hi all,

Well, my loss is someone's gain. Casemods.com had made a slight error and sent me a left-side (window side) panel for my Eye of Sauron. I needed a right-side (mobo side) panel to finish the rig. Josh Kindlesparker made everything OK with a new panel.

So ... I have a black Lian-Li PC-60xx window-side panel available with the Eye of Sauron on it. As I mentioned before, this was the "older" illustration from the earlier printings of the trilogy.

Below is a link to an image of the panel.

LOTR side panel

If interested, please email me

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong forum section - I figured I started the thread here and should continue it here.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

The case looks nice and all, but it's nothing really that fantastic. Stealthing, fan grills, lighting, and a window, and the wiring still needs work.

That being said, it still does look quite lovely, and I definitely like the dark speech etching on the side.

Back