Lotes TR4 Socket on the ASUS ROG Strix X399-E Gaming Motherboard

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Lotes TR4 Socket on the ASUS ROG Strix X399-E Gaming Motherboard

Just put together a 1920x with Asus Zenith motherboard. I had difficulty in screwing down the socket, had no idea that you could screw backwards to catch the thread until I saw this video...... That was the part I had trouble with.....

Old mechanic's trick for the turning the bolt / screw the opposite direction of tightening to "seat" the threads. Been doing that for years with spark plugs and steel / titanium bolts with aluminum or magnesium composite engine components.

Old mechanic's trick for the turning the bolt / screw the opposite direction of tightening to "seat" the threads. Been doing that for years with spark plugs and steel / titanium bolts with aluminum or magnesium composite engine components.
Yep, learned that trick out in the garage. Has saved me a many a cross-thread.

This has been my experience with MSI and Asus boards using the Lotes socket. Easy peasy.

I like the nifty torque tool provided to bolt fasten the bolts with. Is this procedure specific to the Lotes socket or is this common to all Threadripper sockets?

Reactions: erek
like this
When names of the motherboard are longer then the actual motherboard or getting close to it. Nice looking board and install system.

I like the nifty torque tool provided to bolt fasten the bolts with. Is this procedure specific to the Lotes socket or is this common to all Threadripper sockets?
Same for all TR4/SP3 sockets.

I learned that trick repairing HP printers. Lots of iron screws into plastic, so they're really easy to crossthread, so they instructed us on that technique in the repair class. It's been invaluable in the 20 years since. Also, the technique of, when there are multiple screws going into one item, starting each screw a little to make sure they all catch and are lined up before tightening them all down is an invaluable item to know with these threadripper sockets, as well as motherboards and laptops.

I feel more manly putting my entire body weight against my $1000 processor and $300 something motherboard for the foxconn socket to catch a tiny screw tbh :p

was there already a video posted about the foxconn socket? Would be interesting to see the differences as like you said, the foxconn one seems to be earning all the complaints.

was there already a video posted about the foxconn socket? Would be interesting to see the differences as like you said, the foxconn one seems to be earning all the complaints.

the original install video's kyle did when TR4 first released are on the foxconn version i believe. pretty much installed the same way.

I feel more manly putting my entire body weight against my $1000 processor and $300 something motherboard for the foxconn socket to catch a tiny screw tbh :p
What is funny is that I TRIED to break those sockets on a couple of dead boards. I could not. The pins are fragile as angel hair, but everything else is built like a brick shithouse.

This is also the board jayztwocents posted a video showing how hard it is to get the socket to close.
I have had a couple of sockets that did require a good bit of force to get closed when we had prototype boards before launch. I never thought much of it because I understand the mechanism and did not see any real danger in it. Now frame that against someone that just spent a few thousand dollars on hardware, and having to use that much force just does not "seem right." I think that is where most of it comes from and I can totally understand that. The TR4/SP3 socket mechanism is built like a tank. But we are not used to treating motherboards in that way. It can surely be a different experience that what we are used to.

thanks for the link, that foxconn socket looked as effortless as the lotes. I may be ordering that gigabyte board, I will be sure to post my findings.

Just put together a 1920x with Asus Zenith motherboard. I had difficulty in screwing down the socket, had no idea that you could screw backwards to catch the thread until I saw this video...... That was the part I had trouble with.....

This trick also works for wood, plastic and anything that had a bolt or screw in it that you want to re-insert !

Thanks. That looks simple enough. And yeah, old gearhead skills are useful outside the garage too. :p

Atmospherically Actuated Fastener Fucker

41rZptRJveL.jpg

Seating threads... MADNESS!

My dad used to work for Goodyear as a truck tire center manager for many years, and I was around when these first started coming around. It takes intelligence to work them right, but they are useful when removing and installing 30-40 tires a day. I remember watching my dad's employees take off and put on wheels for tire replacements and getting it done incredibly fast because they had these things.

they just have to pretend theyre in the nascar pits.

New trick for me.

Good to know about the force needed on the sockets.

I remember getting the clamp down on some of my older mobos with the stock cooler could be a bitch. Even bent the bar a few times. I hated doing those. The first am socket I wasn't sure I could be putting it on right, was too easy.

-edit
Auto correct didn't want to let me swear.

Looking forward to the review on this board - its the one i'm currently looking at getting.

Back