Lost PPPoE password, can I retrieve it from the router?

theacoustician

[H]ard|Gawd
I'll start from the begining so this makes more sense.

I have Bellsouth DSL service and its paid for through work (woo hoo). I'm currently using a Linksys BEFW11S4 V4 as my router. Its set up and running fine right now. For Christmas, I got a wireless G router. Sweet, I thought. I spend the next 3 hours rifling through my home office looking for the PPPoE password so I can set it up. I can't find it.

No problem, I call Bellsouth and ask. Bellsouth says they'd love to help, but since I'm not paying the account, they can't tell me anything. They suggest that I go through the account rep. at work and they could authorize Bellsouth to give it to me.

So I get to work and I get one of the two responses from people I ask : 1. huh? 2. Oh, you have to call Bellsouth for that. We don't have that information. :rolleyes:

I have now been bouncing between Bellsouth and my office for 2 months and still haven't gotten anyone to tell who can give me the password or how to get it. I've had enough of the run around and was wondering if anyone knew a was to extract the PPPoE password from Linksys router directly?

The new wireless G router that's been sitting in the box for 2 months and I would appriciate the help.

Just an idea, but you could try saving your config file and then uploading it to the new router. Might work if they are both linksys routers.

You could keep your current router as the router and disable DHCP on the new one, using it as a switch/WAP

Atragon said:
You could keep your current router as the router and disable DHCP on the new one, using it as a switch/WAP
That's actually not a bad idea, although I'll still be screwed if for some reason the router dies. But at least I can get the G flowing in the mean time.

inzane123 said:
Just an idea, but you could try saving your config file and then uploading it to the new router. Might work if they are both linksys routers.
Unfortunately the new one is a Belkin. But that makes me wonder if I could save the config file and pull it out of there somehow. I tried saving it and reading it in Notepad, but it just looked like jibberish. Is there some way to decode the config. file to be able to read it?

the default password for bellsouth dsl is the 7 digit phone number.

try that first, otherwise just call bellsouth and give them the four digit code on any of your bell south bills

Back