Lost in a sea of motherboards

Bellator

n00b
Hey guys,

I am currently building a new computer, and which motherboard to opt for really has me stumped. Here are the factors affecting my decision:

-Have decided on an Athlon 64 3200+ Newcastle CPU.

-Have no intention to overclock, so am looking for a mobo that offers good stock performance.

-New rig will be used primarily for gaming, music, and movies.

-Prefer a VIA chipset, although am unsure whether i should go for mobos with the newer k8t800 pro chipset, or the older but more mature mobos featuring the vanilla k8t800 chipset.

-Intend to put two WD 74gb Raptors in RAID 0

Any recommendations on some mobos that would be good for my purposes? As far as price goes... I'm willing to shell out for a quality product.

For the socket 754, I have used the KV8-Max3 and liked it. It uses the K8T800 and has plenty of SATA channels inculding RAID. As long as you don't care about the PCI/AGP lock for overclocking with the K8T800 Pro then this is your best bet.

my I say get a Gigabyte board, they tend to be very stable and offer a lot of features, overclocking is not a point on this board, but are stable....

Asus K8V SE Deluxe, rock solid, broad Ram compatability, and lots of features, no northbridge fan gives it the edge over the Abit in the quiet stakes.

Very good board, happy with mine, just wish i had AGP/PCI locks to overclock.

Rob

The Abit KV8-Pro has the K8T800 Pro chipset.

Basically, there are several good mobos out there. The two Abits I mentioned and the comparable Asus mobo(same chipsets) would be at the top of my list. Gigiabyte is ok, but I have had mixed experiences with them(several DOA 754 mobos) and some great performing ones. Overall though, I think Gigabyte is overpriced for what you get.

What you need to do is look as which of these mobos have the features you want and get the one you can get for the best price IMHO.

Back