Lost...BF3 crashing (gtx570 driver restarts)

Ron FTL

[H]ard|Gawd
This is beyond frustrating.

Okay here is my issue. After about 15-20 minutes of playing BF3 my graphics driver stops responding. In the middle of battle I get a black screen then 3 seconds later im at my desktop. The game is still running but I cant maximize it and get back in. Im forced to end BF3.exe through the task manager and restart.

Things Ive tried that have failed:

1. Tried beta driver latest 290.36
2. Removed all Overclocks
3. Properly wiped graphics driver, everything Nvidia related and went back to 280.26 drivers (august 9th)
4. Went from Ultra settings down to Medium
5. Reinstalled BF3
6. Reinstalled Windows 7
7. Tested each stick of ram.
8. Reseated CPU with fresh ShinEtsu and reseated GFXcard.
9. OCCT'd my rig all night.
10. Set tried setting task priority level to, above normal, high, and realtime.
11. Tried 285.27, 285.38, 285.62, and 285.79 drivers.
12. Tonight (12/4/2011) I formatted my drive, installed a fresh copy of windows again, downloaded a new copy of BF3, and driver still crashes...

Im lost. Graphics card temps are in the 50-60 loaded and CPU is around 50's at stock clock.
Every other game is fine. Even stress testing the whole system is stable but as soon as I start playing BF3 20 minutes in the driver resets. While playing the game I used to get lock ups and BSOD's with code (BCCODE 124), but after I dismantled my system and reassembled it the BSOD's stopped and now its just the driver crashing.

What should I do next???
I feel like this is hardware related or something because my friend(aFive) has the exact same card as me and he never ever has problems.

Should I RMA my card? buy a new motherboard? HELP!!

Last edited:
Solely with BF3.

The only other games I have installed and play for long periods of time are Batman Arkham City and Counter Strike Source.

I see you have the SC model 570. Just for shits and giggles, could you try increasing the voltage on your gpu a bit?

I see you have the SC model 570. Just for shits and giggles, could you try increasing the voltage on your gpu a bit?
Tell me how to do it and ill give it a shot.

Oh and btw I underclocked the memory, core, and shader clocks with eVGA Precision last week and still crashed.

Even though it appears stable otherwise, try dropping the ram to 1333 with relaxed timings?

Even though it appears stable otherwise, try dropping the ram to 1333 with relaxed timings?
Okay. My bios was cleared to default so ram should be near that speed. Everything should be on auto.
Ill try it as soon as they finish the maintenance on their site. I think battlelog is down for about 4 hrs, so I cant even try.

What's your card perf3D voltage ?
I'm asking this, because many GTX570 users with TDR problems resolved their issues with upping the voltage from 1.025 to 1.038 V. ;)

Hopefully today patch will help a bit with the crashes. it seems to be a app problem

Try lowering the memory speed on the v cards and upping the voltages. it help but is not a solution crashes will happen but less often.

Use Msi afterburner to manipulate you v card settings

I have tried any and every thing I know to make this game stop crashing.
You are not alone, I have three friends that have the same problem, 2 of them with new systems.
"EA games... ruin EVERYTHING!"

Every Battlefield game I've had I experienced the crash to desktop issue and it's never been fixed. I've always had a nice rig as well. Now my computer just locks up at any given time. It's playable but it will crash every once in a while.

I've had the same problems, thinking of going to AMD, but I heard there are problems there with their drivers.

What's your card perf3D voltage ?
I'm asking this, because many GTX570 users with TDR problems resolved their issues with upping the voltage from 1.025 to 1.038 V. ;)
Thanks for the advice. I upped the voltage to 1.038 and was able to play 1 full round.
Im about to start a long session so I hope this fixes the issue.

Giant Screenshot, sry:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well I think its fixed. Thank god. I just played for about 2hrs straight.
I guess the Core voltage is just too low. I wonder if its an Nvidia thing or a BF3 thing..

Going to go re-overclock everything and play again.

Evga has new bios in the forums. Not sure if u tried that yet... I believe that they up'd the standard voltage a little.

@ Ron FTL I told you... :D

You don't have the latest BIOS for sure, because the card has a max. fan-speed of 85%, the newer BIOS's allow to change in a range of 30-100%.

There are a lot of GTX 570's from eVGA, what's your card part number ??? (the eVGA GTX 570 SC has 012-P3-1572-something, but there is a GTX 570 HD SC too)

Unfortunately I could not find a new BIOS file to check if they changed anything in the voltage department... but anyway, the voltage is controlled by ASIC.

@ Ron FTL I told you... :D

You don't have the latest BIOS for sure, because the card has a max. fan-speed of 85%, the newer BIOS's allow to change in a range of 30-100%.

There are a lot of GTX 570's from eVGA, what's your card part number ??? (the eVGA GTX 570 SC has 012-P3-1572-something, but there is a GTX 570 HD SC too)

Unfortunately I could not find a new BIOS file to check if they changed anything in the voltage department... but anyway, the voltage is controlled by ASIC.
Its a 012-P3-1572-AR.
I hope its fixes the voltage. Ill try and flash it tonight.

I've been having the exact same problem since I got this 570 less than a month ago. Good to know it could be solved with a simple V tweak. I was curious why my Galaxy 460 1GB ran at 1.012 stock and the EVGA 570 (standard ed.) defaults to less than 0.980.

A bit late here, but yeah, stock voltage is too low. I was having the same problem with BF3. Set core voltage to 1000 mV and dropped my core clock to 808 MHz (stable at 825 MHz for all other games and benchmarks) and the problem went away.

Hope you fixed yours.

Very weird man, did you think its a virus?
sig.jpg

I put my 480gtx soc by galaxy at 1.125 volts and it is much happier now. Stock volts led to occasional crashes.

@Dr John - spot on the money, I think. Judging from the official nv forums also, I'd say even on stock cards for BF3 apparently, V is too low / MHz is too high. Ouch. Annoying design fault, but at least an easy solution is a couple clicks away with MSI AfterBurner or whatever.

Hi,
contact EVGA support or check EVGS's forum. There is a firmware patch for upping GPU voltage and fanspeed , specially for Dx11 games. Certainly worked on my GTX5570 SC. Also use the Evgas lagacy precision tool . PrecisionX is not stable om BF3.
Hoop that helps

Back