Losing respect for Cooler Master... [Update: somewhat rescinded]

oryan_dunn

n00b
[rant]Seems they only offer their driver downloads in rar format. I'm well aware that I can download 3rd party compression tools that will allow me to open this file format. The thing is, it is a completely unnecessary step. They could provide the .exe download like the rest of the civilized world, or at the very least, if they determined they need some extra compression, throw the exe in a zip format, or even better, a self-extracting zip.[/rant]

So, any way possible to open a rar file on Windows 7 without a 3rd party tool?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no....

Edit: It seems that the drivers they offer for the CM Storm Recon on the www.coolermaster-usa.com page is version 1.19 in rar format.

http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/peripherals/Recon/

Via the cmstorm.com page linked above, they offer version 1.22 in zip format. So, they do offer at least one of their driver downloads in a standard format, but why the two sites are not synchronized, I do not know.

Last edited:
Just download 7-Zip. It's a pretty nice, free and lightweight utility which handles every compression format I've run into.

Just download 7-Zip. It's a pretty nice, free and lightweight utility which handles every compression format I've run into.

Yeah, I kinda found out they use rar after buying a CM Storm Recon, so that's probably what I'll do. I've used 7-zip before.

The rant was really more about the principle of the matter. I shouldn't need extra software to install the driver.

I sent their support an email asking why they use RAR. I knew the answer I'd get wouldn't be what I wanted to hear, but I always hold out hope a company will surprise me. I asked why the provided files in a rar format, and I got the typical "you'll need to download a 3rd party software package to open it", which I had acknowledged in my original email.

I also asked on their Facebook page. I doubt they'll address it properly there either.

The rant was really more about the principle of the matter. I shouldn't need extra software to install the driver.

The nice thing about 7-zip is that has a small footprint, has no bloatware, supports a lot of file formats, and furthermore... it's FREE!

[rant]Seems they only offer their driver downloads in rar format. I'm well aware that I can download 3rd party compression tools that will allow me to open this file format. The thing is, it is a completely unnecessary step. They could provide the .exe download like the rest of the civilized world, or at the very least, if they determined they need some extra compression, throw the exe in a zip format, or even better, a self-extracting zip.[/rant]

So, any way possible to open a rar file on Windows 7 without a 3rd party tool?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no....

I don't think so. I agree with you though. It is stupid for them to have their Windows drivers in a format that isn't usable with a stock system.

Back