Lose Weight With This HTC Vive Workout

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here's something you might not have thought about when it comes to playing room scale VR games. You can actually use games to get some exercise and have fun at the same time. Although we own an Oculus Rift, we use the HTC Vive here for our VR performance reviews because of the fact that it does room scale VR.

That’s when Donahey decided to challenge himself and kickoff a 50-day VR fitness challenge. The goal — lose 2 pounds a week, from a starting weight of 180.4 pounds, using only the VIVE in one-hour sessions. We were able to checkin with Donahey who started his fitness challenge 40 days ago and he has already lost 12 pounds — exceeding his weekly weight loss goal of 2 pounds a week by 0.4 pounds. With an average calorie burn of around 700 per workout session, Donahey is right on track to hitting his goal of losing 14.3 pounds in 50 days.

I'm all for this! People really need to enjoy a fitness activity it to really work. You can commit to hitting the gym for a while but if you're forcing it then you'll go right back to your old habits once you reach your goal.

I'm a daily cyclist and I truly love riding my bike and I never view it as doing a workout because I just like being outdoors. It's why I can't do a stationary bike or even use a trainer at home because it isn't the true riding experience. Do what you enjoy and let the fitness/health benefits be secondary.

I really think that he should put that computer onto the floor. I'd hate to pull that down on my foot whilst wearing the VR headset!

Way ahead of you.

Waiting to see how the next iterations of the tech pans out. Looking for higher def and higher refresh wireless headset type deal...

most people would trip on this cord! accidents can happen, everything should be wireless these days.

Way ahead of you.

Waiting to see how the next iterations of the tech pans out. Looking for higher def and higher refresh wireless headset type deal...

In one of the threads around here there is a company working on a wifi transmitter that will fit in your pocket. That would be hard for me not to get.

Wifi I can see. Higher res and refresh... I am not sure how high on the priority list that is for them. For the current system AMD doesn't even have a card that can drive most games. You basically want a 1070 or above. If they raised the requirements the bare minimum is a Titan XP?

Wifi I can see. Higher res and refresh... I am not sure how high on the priority list that is for them. For the current system AMD doesn't even have a card that can drive most games. You basically want a 1070 or above. If they raised the requirements the bare minimum is a Titan XP?

Upgraded wife's AMD 7970 to an NVIDIA 970. Definitely ultra low latency wireless first, but UHD/Refresh a gen after that would be nice. I'm in it to win it.

most people would trip on this cord! accidents can happen, everything should be wireless these days.

There are a few ways to resolve that issue as it currently is... Our solution was old green screen gear, specifically the telescopic stand.
- Ceiling fan is nice to have for circulation, overhead was sub-optimal for us...

1559522354660739925%253Faccount_id%253D1

Going to add a retractable ID badge holder to pick up a few extra feet of slack while still allowing uninhibited motion.

Without this it gets tangled, pulls on your head, and gets under your feet in general. PITA

Last edited:
How are the headsets when you get exercising? I just imagine a sliding, sweaty, steamy uncomfortable mess.

Way ahead of you.

You should try Blackened by Metallica recorded live in Russia. That's a work out. I missed like 900 and still got a 93% on hardest!

to be honest i think the work out stuff on the Wii just feels better to use than on the VR stuff for most the reasons everyone else has described with the headset getting sweaty, wires in the way and honestly not really doing much more than what buying a used 50 dollar wii original and a few workout games would get you.

How are the headsets when you get exercising? I just imagine a sliding, sweaty, steamy uncomfortable mess.

As you're aware, I clearly don't float like a butterfly, nor do I sting like a bee. So with the limited motion I do, it feels perfectly fine atop my fat head.
- These help. They're more comfortable, stock foam soaks up sweat like a bitch, and did I mention they're are also more comfortable?

You should try Blackened by Metallica recorded live in Russia. That's a work out. I missed like 900 and still got a 93% on hardest!
- If it's difficult unmodded, we just amped shit up... So it might give me a heart attack...
-
to be honest i think the work out stuff on the Wii just feels better to use than on the VR stuff for most the reasons everyone else has described with the headset getting sweaty, wires in the way and honestly not really doing much more than what buying a used 50 dollar wii original and a few workout games would get you.

Bitch, I ain't working out, I'm punching space balls like a fucking ninja!
- This isn't utility, this is fun as shit! And boy does it feel good to have a nice shit...

use-your-imagination-bitch!_1414124606.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The new Space Pirate Trainer update is a pretty good workout if you use dual laser whip/baton things. Plus you feel like a badass whipping enemies into each other and slicing them apart. :cool:

Sounds like there's a need for a g[H]etto mod with a 40mm fan. :D

For hard core exercise I'm sure it's still best to just get your ass outside. I do like the idea of enjoying video games walking around though.

I saw someone made some sort of fan mod where they piped the air into the headset via a straw or something. I'll see if I can find it again.

EDIT: Actually it was an anti-fogging thing but I imagine it might accomplish both?

Can't imagine how hot the headset will feel. All that sweat. Those things are gonna get moldy very soon and/or get some kind of fungus. Reminds me of the fleshlight fungus and mold pic doing the rounds a while back.

Can't imagine how hot the headset will feel. All that sweat. Those things are gonna get moldy very soon and/or get some kind of fungus. Reminds me of the fleshlight fungus and mold pic doing the rounds a while back.
Well, if things get really bad you can just take it off and wash it......

Looks fun, until i get wrapped up in the cables pulling my PC off the desk, cause im a bull in a china shop. Yeah, i will stick with my power lifting routine, cannot break my pc that way. :)

You can't yank your PC around even if the cables got completely snarled since they are connected to a breakout box designed exactly to prevent that from happening. The worst part of the cables is that sometimes you step on them.

If you don't like moving your body in real life, you won't really enjoy moving it in VR either. Try the Rift instead. The cables are short enough that you won't be tempted to try and stand up or walk around anywhere.

If you don't like moving your body in real life, you won't really enjoy moving it in VR either. Try the Rift instead. The cables are short enough that you won't be tempted to try and stand up or walk around anywhere.

Even if you do like moving you body in real life, most people probably won't want to exercise wearing sweaty goggles, and trailing a bunch of wires. You can also get a better aerobic workout just going for run/bike outside, or a better strength workout with weights.

I run outside regularly, exercising in VR doesn't have ZERO appeal, it has negative appeal to me. It's even less appealing than doing Wii fit type stuff.

Last edited:
Sure, but as others have said: enjoyment makes a huge difference in the success of a workout routine. If someone enjoys working out in the Vive, more power to them. Just do you, especially when it comes to fitness.

I do not use my Vive for exercise, but I haven't noticed problems from either sweat (just pull the velcro off and rinse it if it starts to get funky) or the wires (they go flat when you step on them, even after 20 or more rotations of tangling) even in a 2 hour session.

You can't yank your PC around even if the cables got completely snarled since they are connected to a breakout box designed exactly to prevent that from happening. The worst part of the cables is that sometimes you step on them.

Breakout box, that makes sense. Still, hard to get a good workout in if your worried about tangling up in cables. My Bluetooth headphone cables get in my way sometimes and it just goes around my neck. Could not imagine having all that gear on.

As for "don't like moving your body in real life" not sure how you determined that one.

Actually i use my GearVR all the time, sure its not high end like the dedicated setups, but the content is actually really good, and oculus is adding more all the time. No cables, and even though there is no room-scale setup its still pretty fun. Hopefully the dedicated setups will be cable-less in the future, cause I'm not wearing a backpack either. :)

Even if you do like moving you body in real life, most people probably won't want to exercise wearing sweaty goggles, and trailing a bunch of wires. You can also get a better aerobic workout just going for run/bike outside, or a better strength workout with weights.

I run outside regularly, exercising in VR doesn't have ZERO appeal, it has negative appeal to me. It's even less appealing than doing Wii fit type stuff.

If you exercise regularly I don't think the Vive would bother you at all. His heart rate was around 150 avg even with his routine. I work out while working on my laptop on an elliptical... my HR is 150, in a 60*F room I don't even sweat.

If you don't want to work out with the Vive - fantastic, there are plenty of other things to do. :)

Last edited:
If you exercise regularly I don't think the Vive would bother you at all. His heart rate was around 150 avg even with his routine. I work out while working on my laptop on an elliptical... my HR is 150, in a 60*F room I don't even sweat.

There are plenty of complaints about sweaty VR goggles even playing seated games.

I'll stick to running/hiking/biking out in the real sunshine/elements, you can enjoy your basement.

There are plenty of complaints about sweaty VR goggles even playing seated games.

I'll stick to running/hiking/biking out in the real sunshine/elements, you can enjoy your basement.

lol - you're hilarious, my basement. I have no plans to use the Vive to work out.

This thread in general... I am surprised people are afraid they might sweat a little during exercise...

Last edited:
Looks fun, until i get wrapped up in the cables pulling my PC off the desk, cause im a bull in a china shop. Yeah, i will stick with my power lifting routine, cannot break my pc that way. :)
Well, I guess if you were shortsighted enough to configure your setup that way it might be possible, but you would have to be very ignorant to make that happen.

You can also get a better aerobic workout just going for run/bike outside, or a better strength workout with weights.
How many flying drones, orcs, and space game moments do you encounter running the park? Correct on the virtual weight lifting.....they are working on that for muscle heads though. A complete virtual gym where they tie you up with resistance bands from all angles.

I am sure I get MUCH better work out going for a run, than shooting aliens in a video game.

This is just an excuse for isolated pasty nerds to be pastier and more isolated.

I think you are 100% wrong, but you are entitled to your opinion.

I think VR is a great way for "pasty nerds" to get exercise, because they would never have gone outside to run in the first place.

I can speak from experience...I definitely work up a sweat playing VR sometimes, but I don't notice too much because I'm immersed in the game. I think that is the best kind of exercise: the kind where you are "tricked" into doing it.

I am sure I get MUCH better work out going for a run, than shooting aliens in a video game.

This is just an excuse for isolated pasty nerds to be pastier and more isolated.
Do you even lift brah?!?!?!

I think VR is a great way for "pasty nerds" to get exercise, because they would never have gone outside to run in the first place.

I can speak from experience...I definitely work up a sweat playing VR sometimes, but I don't notice too much because I'm immersed in the game. I think that is the best kind of exercise: the kind where you are "tricked" into doing it.

True, you can elevate your heart rate playing games, especially VR, but you still have limited mobility, now the guy who runs, could get on a treadmill/VR combo and get his cardio in, but after all the setup and prep, cost, you could just throw your running shoes on, and head outside. There are some cool applications for games and fitness, but when i train, i want to lift. When i game, i just want to play. Don't really feel like merging the two.

True, you can elevate your heart rate playing games, especially VR, but you still have limited mobility, now the guy who runs, could get on a treadmill/VR combo and get his cardio in, but after all the setup and prep, cost, you could just throw your running shoes on, and head outside. There are some cool applications for games and fitness, but when i train, i want to lift. When i game, i just want to play. Don't really feel like merging the two.

And that's fine. I guess for me, I would not have the motivation to go out and run so, it makes sense to get exercise where I can.

I didn't buy the Vive solely for the purpose of exercise, but it's a nice benefit.

And that's fine. I guess for me, I would not have the motivation to go out and run so, it makes sense to get exercise where I can.

I didn't buy the Vive solely for the purpose of exercise, but it's a nice benefit.

Totally understand, i hate running, flat feet and bad knees. So i pop in sweat-n-to-the-oldies...hahaha.. just kidding.
VR might be your avenue to fitness. Some people just cannot get into it, but they still love a challenge, i remember people playing that Dance dance game in the arcades years ago, many of them lost weight doing it. Same goes with poke mon go.. or what ever. Getting kids outside... to get robbed, but still they get outside... :D

How am I 100% wrong when you are making the exact kind of excuses to stay inside that I was talking about.

Here's something you might not have thought about when it comes to playing room scale VR games. You can actually use games to get some exercise and have fun at the same time. Although we own an Oculus Rift, we use the HTC Vive here for our VR performance reviews because of the fact that it does room scale VR.

That’s when Donahey decided to challenge himself and kickoff a 50-day VR fitness challenge. The goal — lose 2 pounds a week, from a starting weight of 180.4 pounds, using only the VIVE in one-hour sessions. We were able to checkin with Donahey who started his fitness challenge 40 days ago and he has already lost 12 pounds — exceeding his weekly weight loss goal of 2 pounds a week by 0.4 pounds. With an average calorie burn of around 700 per workout session, Donahey is right on track to hitting his goal of losing 14.3 pounds in 50 days.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but considering I'm just seeing this for the first time, and that I'm Tim Donahey, I feel entitled. ;)

Here's my story.

About 11 months ago I was rowing Crew for Ohio State University, biking around 14 miles a day to school and back, and power lifting. A month later my father-in-law was given 6 months to live; it was lung cancer. He only made it two. Jack, my FIL, soon required 24-hour care, the majority of which my wife provided. At the time our son was 10 months old and suffering from a severe case of eczema which required a lot of attention. While my wife took care of her father, I was forced to drop out of school and stay home with our son, and my fitness regime had to be discarded in light of these greater concerns.

After Jack passed away, things slowly got back to normal again, with the exception of my fitness. 8 months of sedentary living and incremental weight gain left me in the worst shape of my life. The prospect of stepping back into the gym arena again as a total novice held little appeal to me. Enter VR.

I had heard celebrities like Joe Rogan and Terry Crews expound on the possible fitness implications that VR could provide and it really struck a cord with me. One day I strapped on a Polar heart rate monitor and challenged myself to push myself as hard as I could for an hour in VR. That first workout I did 10 minutes of Longbow, as a warmup, 20 minutes in The Thrill of the Fight, 20 minutes in Holopoint - squatting to dodge - and 10 minutes in Holoball as a cool-down. After the hour was up I was astonished to see that my heart rate monitor estimated that I burned approximately 870 calories. In that moment I was sold.

VR gaming was something I was already doing, but by adapting my playstyle and play time to emphasize maximum mobility and a high-intensity pace, I knew this was the best way to transition from sedentary to fit in the funnest way possible. That's when I came up with my "50 Day VR Fitness Challenge." 50 days later - now 59 days - I'm down 16 lbs, and I just started jogging and strength training again. If not for VR and the prospect of using it as a tool to recover my lost fitness, I don't think I'd be where I am now.

I think one of the most exciting prospects of VR is its capacity to affect actual reality, and my experience over the last 8 weeks is the literal embodiment of that.

Back