Lose internet connection whenever i try to use my wirless router with my cable modem.

Moiee

Weaksauce
I just bought a D-Link wireless router and I cant get it working properly with my internet connection. At first it was working fine it was hooked up to my cable modem and a line was going to my ethernet card on my pc. But then after I ran the wizard for the router (an adress i had to type in IE) I set it up following the oncscreen instructions and after that lost internet connection completely. Ran ipconfig and it said media disconnected and didnt show my ip address even though the cable modem light were all on and working like normal. So I disconnected my cable modem from the router and plugged it back into the computer like before and for some reason I still wasn't getting an internet connection. The Router must have done something to my IP address or something. So I had to call my ISP and they said to go into services.msc and dns and dhp option stop and restart it. After this it started having a working connection but not with the router only with the cable modem to pc like before.
I have no idea why the router messed it up everytime i connect it to the cable modem. Like I said it only started happening after I ran the wizard it told me to in the manual of the router. It was working fine hooked up the router before this. In the wizard it asked me some basic stuff like my ip adress whether its static (which it is) and my dns servers etc. I should have just left it without going into this wizard thing. I even pressed the reset button afterwards on the router to restore factory settings but that didnt help either.
How can I get a connection with the wireless router?

it can be funny with routers, I had one that dropped my connection almost every day for a week.. it hasnt dropped it in over a year now..

I'm sure its in the instructions but power it all off.. turn on the modem and wait about five minutes then turn on the router and then the computer. Then try and log into the router thru IE.. and change the settings manually. its not that hard and in reality most people never change a single default setting aside from the password

one more thing.. how are you connecting to the router? are you still using a cable .. or are you attempting to convert your system to wireless...

I don't recommend D-Link for crap like this. Countless people I know have D-Links with problems like this.

Back