Lords of the Fallen....hardcore rpg for next-gen consoles and PC

is copying Dark Souls a bad thing?...I don't mind if they do that...if they even get 70% of the Dark Souls experience I'll be all over this game

Nope, wasn't suggesting it was a bad thing, more just pointing it out, hence I ended with "I'll def be buying this game".

I love Dark Souls, and I think FROM software are genius, but let's face it, they're not moving fast enough with improvements, and they're obviously still stuck in a 360/PS3 development mindset as evidenced by what happened to DarkSouls2 and the engine being toned down to run on the oldgen consoles, which the PC version also suffered for. And I fully expect FROM's next Souls game to be "more of the same".

Lords of the Fallen developer seems much more aggressive about embracing PC and leaving the mid-2000's idiotboxes behind. They state that development on the game began in early 2011, so obviously well before nextgen consoles were announced, and as such I'll assume PC has been the lead platform, as they didn't get Xbone/PS4 dev units until years later.

Bottom line, LotF *looks* like what Dark Souls 2 should have been on PC in an ideal world.

Last edited:
Nope, wasn't suggesting it was a bad thing, more just pointing it out, hence I ended with "I'll def be buying this game".

I love Dark Souls, and I think FROM software are genius, but let's face it, they're not moving fast enough with improvements, and they're obviously still stuck in a 360/PS3 development mindset as evidenced by what happened to DarkSouls2 and the engine being toned down to run on the oldgen consoles, which the PC version also suffered for. And I fully expect FROM's next Souls game to be "more of the same".

Lords of the Fallen developer seems much more aggressive about embracing PC and leaving the mid-2000's idiotboxes behind. They state that development on the game began in early 2011, so obviously well before nextgen consoles were announced, and as such I'll assume PC has been the lead platform, as they didn't get Xbone/PS4 dev units until years later.

Bottom line, LotF *looks* like what Dark Souls 2 should have been on PC in an ideal world.

I'm honestly having a hard time motivating myself to play Dark Souls 2 just because the graphics were hardly an upgrade from the first game. They really didn't change that much of anything when you think about it. The graphics for DS2 are like 2005 ish. I almost think games like Fable, Oblivion, Dragon Age...have better graphics.

I hope you can save your game in lords of the fallen lol

I'm honestly having a hard time motivating myself to play Dark Souls 2 just because the graphics were hardly an upgrade from the first game. They really didn't change that much of anything when you think about it. The graphics for DS2 are like 2005 ish. I almost think games like Fable, Oblivion, Dragon Age...have better graphics.

I hope you can save your game in lords of the fallen lol

Gameplay > graphics

Some of the best looking games are only ok games.

Have to agree on this.

Lords looks interesting though and I look forward to seeing more.

Don't worry, I feel stupid for saying what I said. I now have 200 hours into DS and DS2 and wouldn't even think of mentioning poor graphics. The game itself is incredible....it's pretty much everything I've wanted in a game for the longest time.

I keep forgetting about this game but I'm going to get it Day 1...a next-gen Dark Souls clone sounds great...the combat and difficulty look impressive...hopefully it lives up to the hype as I need something to occupy my Dark Souls fix after the 3-part DLC ends

looks like LOTF has a Limited Edition GameSpot exclusive which includes a new story based DLC and weapons pack

nx0Mn9a.jpg

Looks-wise (which is all we have to go off of), it definitely looks like a "nextgen Dark Souls". It looks fantastic and I'm half hoping its one of those titles that forces me to get a new video card if it turns out its able to take advantage of the extra power.

I liked in the beginning of the trailer how the "boss intro" transitions seamlessly into the action, a nice change from how DS's boss intros tend to be a prerendered QTE and then rough cut back to the 3D engine. Not a huge in itself but to me demonstrates a real polish on this game as it was one of many nice little touches that I noticed.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting, but so little info to go off of, just have to keep the eyes open and hope for it to look good.

Looks interesting, but I just can't get into the games like Dark Souls due to the difficulty. As limited as my time is, when I sit down to play I want something relaxing and not something that is going to frustrate me. It is why I always loved things like Dynasty Warriors.

I haven't heard about this game at all. Not surprising considering all the marketing for witcher 3, the new dragon age game, bloodbourne, and dark souls 2 on the pc. I would be interested in it if it is more forgiving than the masochistic dark souls series.

15 minute playthrough of LOTF from this year's GamesCom...we get to learn about the game's bosses, the combat, some skill traits and tons of other stuff...it's an exceptionally informative 20 minute video and a must-see for anyone interested in a serious, dark-fantasy, medieval RPG...

** there are spoilers in the video on how to defeat certain enemies/boss so beware...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQftQE3w-TI

I'm really excited about this game, I think it will be similar to Dark Souls in a good way.

Anyone else a little unsure about the graphic style? It reminds me of cartoon almost...not sure why.

mmm this does look cool! I hope there's an option to disable the floating text for damage though, looks really tacky after having played Dark Souls.

it's funny to me, i've always loved floating damage, but after playing a game like dark souls a lot of one's gaming preferences are likely to change.

Last edited:
mmm this does look cool! I hope there's an option to disable the floating text for damage though, looks really tacky after having played Dark Souls.

Dark souls has floating damage text (well, cumulative) but I agree that the presentation of the numbers could use some work. They feel too much like a MMO / gamey, something that never bothered me with Dark Souls.

That being said, the game itself is looking great, hoping it doesn't disappoint.

Dark souls has floating damage text (well, cumulative) but I agree that the presentation of the numbers could use some work. They feel too much like a MMO / gamey, something that never bothered me with Dark Souls.

That being said, the game itself is looking great, hoping it doesn't disappoint.

Wow that's funny. I just had to look up some gameplay to confirm.. sure enough it does have damage text, lol wtf was i thinking. I guess it just blends in so well that I didn't notice or something :confused:

or, well, it's monday.

Looks interesting but think I'll wait for reviews before purchasing. One thing that bothers me is that all the bosses and enemies I've seen have been typical fantasy humanoids. The creature and boss design in the Soul series is some of the best in gaming and really add to the atmosphere.

Looks interesting but think I'll wait for reviews before purchasing. One thing that bothers me is that all the bosses and enemies I've seen have been typical fantasy humanoids. The creature and boss design in the Soul series is some of the best in gaming and really add to the atmosphere.

Much of the enemies and NPCs in the Souls games are actually very typical, even 'classic' fantasy and/or horror types. The artists just take a lot of care in the individual design and overall integration into the world and art direction.

I mean, Dark Souls 1 and 2 have undead as a major focal point for lore, in a time when zombies and undead are huge in pop-culture. I don't think that's an accident. *and as someone who is SUPER BORED by zombie stuff; am fine with Dark Souls/' undead emphasis and even like aspects of it a lot.

IMO it's because Dark Souls undead aren't just "zombies" but rather the entire world/story/setting is seeped into this "undead" atmosphere. It just feels about as far away from your normal "zombie" setting and game as you can get.

I do hope Lords of the Fallen is a good game, I'm looking forward to it.

It reminds me of Dark Souls and Darksiders mixed together (The design/art style looks more DArksiders with the combat bieng more Dark Souls and less fast paced/flashy).

Looks so much like Dark souls life meters above the characters some of the enemies look the same interface is different character is a little more fluid good or bad.
I think I'll pick it up or maybe wait for reviews first =)

Demon souls is like the new Call of Duty people are going to make Demon souls Dark Souls clones until the franchise is milked =)

The thing is Dark souls Demon souls isn't groud breaking it was just something nice for the consoles and the PVP lore and bosses CO-OP took off like wildfire.

I have Vacation for lords of the Fallen =) wasn't planed but great news!

Last edited:
Looks so much like Dark souls life meters above the characters some of the enemies look the same interface is different character is a little more fluid good or bad.
I think I'll pick it up or maybe wait for reviews first =)

Demon souls is like the new Call of Duty people are going to make Demon souls Dark Souls clones until the franchise is milked =)

The thing is Dark souls Demon souls isn't groud breaking it was just something nice for the consoles and the PVP lore and bosses CO-OP took off like wildfire.

I have Vacation for lords of the Fallen =) wasn't planed but great news!

I'm totally fine with that. No it's not a "new" concept but damn are Dark Souls some quality quality games.

I personally don't care if there was online play or not. I absolutely love a gold old fashioned RPG that's challenging!

Because one game looks similar? That's a little silly. Sorry but I just don't see a flood of these games coming out.

And personally I'd rather see developers attempting to expand upon and improve the Dark Souls model, than mindless copy-pasted CoD clones.

Demon souls is like the new Call of Duty people are going to make Demon souls Dark Souls clones until the franchise is milked

I don't see this happening...the majority of people don't like challenging games...Lords of the Fallen is the first copycat Dark Souls game I've seen...games like this will always be the minority no matter how popular they become

I'm keeping an eye on this game, not sure if it's a buy yet or not, it seems like it could go either way.

What's the info on the class/skill system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17gNh1yXFzA

I just watched this and no way am I'm gong to pre order this.... Game looks like a constipated God of War III or Darksiders in slow mo no way can this be fun the problem they have they rendered everything realistic without giving it any fluid motion like Darksiders does good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17gNh1yXFzA

I just watched this and no way am I'm gong to pre order this.... Game looks like a constipated God of War III or Darksiders in slow mo no way can this be fun the problem they have they rendered everything realistic without giving it any fluid motion like Darksiders does good.

o_0

Dark Souls is "slow" combat and it's a blast. The combat does look questionable but I wouldn't rule it out.

The thing I really don't like is the color scheme. It's all dark and dreary with lots of blues/grays...not a whole lot of contrast...

I'll wait to see the other classes before I make any assumptions about it, since the warrior is the bulkiest and slowest of them - reminds me of DS with a full Havel set. I've seen other gameplay footage with another class where it didn't seem as slow.

Naturally people are going to compare this to Dark Souls, but I see some people bitching that its not EXACTLY LIKE DARK SOULS. That's a little silly, and I think you'd have to play the game a few hours to give it a chance to reveal its own unique identity.

Graphically speaking it does look great - like a nextgen Dark Souls, or how many people hoped DS2 was going to look. But ofcourse gameplay is king, so we'll see. And besides, not like there are a whole lot of other options for PC only players to get that Dark Souls type fix -- Bloodborne will be PS4 exclusive so for anyone burned out on replaying DS and DS2, this might be a breath of fresh air.

Hands-on with Lords of the Fallen: Is it anything like Dark Souls?

While Souls players will feel at home here, this is a game that certainly feels and plays differently...for one, combat is faster-paced...from player movement through to swings and recovering from a blow, everything is quicker, meaning you have to react that bit faster in a battle...Lords of the Fallen also has a different atmosphere...despite there being a real sense of desolation and loneliness to the Souls games, this is more in-tune with the likes of Darksiders; a gothically styled world with a shiny, glossy art design, and has more uptempo music that better reflects its more action-styled underpinnings...

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/fe...anything-like-dark-souls.html#~oRECysoksY72iU

Hmm, faster? I guess I'll have to wait and see because all the videos of combat it looks much much slower to me (and to most people going by the comments on the various videos).

Though I played a light armor/spear type of player in Dark Souls so yeah.

Maybe the non-warrior class is a lot quicker then what we've seen so far.

Yeah I just seen the Warrior didn't even know the game had classes I might reserve it today along with COD =)

only thing that worries me is the lack of multiplayer pvp...one of the major appeals of Dark Souls is the infinite replay value...invasions/summoning is one of the best parts

Back