“Lord of the Rings”: Amazon, Warner Bros. in Talks for Series Adaptation

better off doing a Wheel of time series.

As much as I love WoT, I feel there's a much greater chance of it being a disappointment when transferring to the screen: So much in the WoT world is visually apparent only to some characters, and there is lots of cool but hidden internal dialogue. I feel like on the screen this would all be simplified in some way that reduces the magic of it.

But if they ever do have a crack at converting it, I'd still watch it!

I wouldn't mind seeing The Belgariad and Mallorean taken to a quality series. They would not work for HBO though as there is practically no adult situations.

Another great series that would translate to the screen would be the Magic Kingdom for sale: Sold! books.

However, if the Tolkien estate is dead set on supporting a new series, I wish they would start with the Simarillion and the Lost Tales. So much great back story and characters in those books.

Gonna be awkward doing his origin story when you have to include the part about his sister trying to have sex with him. Unless it

No way they could do his origin because of that fact. While the city proper (Menzoberanzen) is lit somewhat it is still pretty dark. Plus a good bit of it he is in the Underdark on training patrols and such, almost pitch black. Alsothe whole attempted incest (Drizzt's sister wanted to have sex with him at his Melee Magthere fighting school graduation celebration/orgy) You would have to start at book 4. But that would be hard as Wulfgar was pretty much the main character and Drizzt kind of a mentor/sidekick role. But he was such an interesting and popular character he took the lead. So while I love the books (currently reading them again actually) I don't see it working on film.

Or give me a video game movie of Marvel quality. Bioshock 1 and Dishonored would both be amazing if done with Marvel's MCU polish. If any movie big wigs are reading this... Would you kindly make it happen?

Considering that GoT had full blown incest intercourse multiple times what happened in Dark Elf Trilogy was rather benign compared to that. IIRC in the book there was a graduation ceremony where both the fighting school (males with no magic talent) and priest students and teachers (all female) took part in and the ceremony hall was filled with aphrodisiac gas and an orgy of epic proportions ensued. Drizzt being one of the few rare Drows with any moral standards was horrified and ran away. Her sister (probably still high on the aphrodisiac gas) saw it and followed him, pressing against him bare chested thinking he was not into public sex and wanted private good times instead. Obviously Drizzt was rather disgusted and was like "WTF is wrong with you sis?" shooting down any sexual tension the situation may have had. :D Except for the massive gangbang, which Drizzt did not take part in, the whole scene was rather mild compared to shit in GoT, IMHO.

Regarding darkness, they could get around it by using dark blue filters to simulate darkness and introduce warm colors only when there are real lightsources around. And when the above ground scenes happen they could use massive blooming to simulate how painfully bright Drow's perceive sunlight, until at the end where Drizzt finally gets used to it and starts to see normally as any surfacer does.

I just don't see the point.
The movies were as long as a 13 episode TV season, so it's not like you would have so much more time to tell the story. Their casting, writing, cinematography, makeup, effects, music and editing were all superb, so it's not like there was some deficiency that you need to correct. Moreover, the casting, locations, and effects will likely not be even matched on a TV budget (not even close), much less surpassed. Also, everyone and their grandmother knows of and watched the movies, so it's not like they are trying to bring a hidden gem to a wider audience.

So why would you spend lots of resources to make an inferior copy of something that already exists and everyone has seen?
If this is all to include the few things that the movie skipped, they might be better off making a series of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.

Uh, so they didn't specify which books.

I REALLY doubt they would go out of their way to make a series based on the main stories, as that's been done plenty of times now.

There is a TON of content outside of those stories, namely the Silmarillion, Histories of Middle Earth, etc. Any fan of the series would bust a nut over the possibility of those stories being produced (as some of them are more interesting than the actual trilogy). Reason we haven't seen anything from them so far is because the Tolkein Estate has been entirely unwilling to give up the rights....the fact they seem to be involve in this process is more proof to me that they aren't making another Lord of the Rings.

I'm stoked, can't wait to find out what they plan on doing. I hope they come to a deal!

^ That's because Christopher Tolkien, like me, doesn't want to see his father's work turned into trash (more than it has been already). I'm sure a lot of people are waiting until he croaks, which probably won't be a whole lot longer as he's well into his 90s now.

It's already got 6 movies... Here's an idea... WHEEL OF TIME.

Exactly what I was thinking. i LOVE LotR - but if you want to have a GoT competitor that should be better in every imaginable way... it'll be the Wheel of Time series. Probably the only series i've ever read where I'm disappointed if the book was less than 700 pages long.

It'll be a long time before they try again with the Sword of Truth series (which is also good - but obviously made after the same fashion of Wheel of Time) - the show started to get better before it was canceled... but MAN horrible casting. ugh.

Back