Looks like Win 10 is slowing down in adoption

After an explosive January, Windows 10's gains slow dramatically -- even though Microsoft has switched on upgrades auto-delivery

The growth falloff varied by source, with one pegging it as the slowest rate since October, the second the most sluggish since November, and the third the most leisurely since December. All were in agreement, however, that Windows 10's growth was significantly smaller than in January, in some cases by just half as much.

Windows 10 growth hits the brakes

On the plus side, Windows 10's 14.2% user share put it ahead of the combined share of 2012's Windows 8 and its 2013 upgrade, Windows 8.1, for the first time in Net Applications' tracking.

Not so much a slow down in adoption, people are now wise to the assimilation techniques and there are some decent tools to help :p
I'll dual boot to play DX12 games with a clean OS and no data drives, no data to filch MS. Ha ha
Theres no way I want it as my main OS, they cant be trusted.

January no doubt had some holiday sales numbers boosting growth. 10 is still proving to be popular with gamers, Windows 10 x64 is virtually tied with Windows 7 x64 on the Steam Hardware Survey 34.01% vs. 34.21%. The growth slowed from January as well but 10 x64 will be the #1 PC gaming OS this month and 7 is going to continue to slide. The big story for 10's growth this year will be enterprise adoption. The surveys are showing what should be good start for business adoption this year.

While there are obviously those that have their issues with 10 and while some are claiming many dirty tricks with the upgrade which is indeed aggressive, I think the upgrade on consumer side has played most of its role. We'll have to see if the upgrade stays permanent and I'm thinking that it won't, at least not at first. Microsoft might put a $10 charge or something on it for a while and then come back and make it free a year or so later perhaps. But eventually I'm thinking that Windows upgrades are going to be free as is standard with consumer OSes now.

I think the only disappointment is with anyone who expected it to have phenomenal growth (i.e. corporate adoption), which it doesn't. Windows 10 seems to be doing OK in the consumer segment.

There will be a push going into the summer "last chance to get your free upgrade to windows 10"... etc.

I think the only disappointment is with anyone who expected it to have phenomenal growth (i.e. corporate adoption), which it doesn't. Windows 10 seems to be doing OK in the consumer segment.

Catch being that "OK" is solely due to 7 not being available at all. You buy a new laptop-you have no choice in Windows OS. You need a new system builder's license, you don't have much of any choice.

Gamers are people who fiddle around their systems on a constant basis. They are on the cutting edge.

Many reinstall their OS daily. Many try out various systems in hope of gaining precious FPS and visuals.
Every new OS has been popular with gamers! They're early adopters for the most part. They don't see the OS that much aside from their games' shortcuts.
Also, they're usually savvy enough to install 3rd party mods to games AND their Operating Systems - who knows what 'those people' actually run.

Yes, 64 bit 7 is tied with 64 bit 10. But if one wanted to split hairs, it's more like: Windows 7: 42,1% (32 bit AND 64 bit), Windows 10: 35,31% (32 bit AND 64 bit).
And the bizarre part is there's a tiny rise (0.03%) for 32 bit Win7 (as I'm typing this).
I do realize that newer OS come out along with new hardware as tech progresses, and that hardware is mostly more and more 64 bit at this point, but it's still a big gap.
And what about the people who got hit with their own stupidity (didn't research the 'nagging' enough) or faced accidental forced push upgrades - how do we estimate that percentage? What part of that ~36% are 'oops' deployments?

Of course "x64 Win10" will be eventually #1 for a while either due to gamers (consumers?) adoption or to enterprise adoption.
The 8.1 numbers show up at around 14%... phased out or thrown out - depending on who you ask.

Because that's the tendency with every Windows iteration. It's 'bundled' with new computers. And Windows 7 was pulled from many mainstream retail channels - so how can it GAIN new ground?

I have bought three Windows 8.1 Professional boxen for work and I literally can't downgrade to 7 (I would like to have an uniform playground at work, and basically everything is upgraded to 7 from XP). Where I live, MS removed (or hid well enough) a lot of means of direct communication like e-mail or phone. I could do that without a hitch in, say, 2010.
When I did get ahold of a MS representative, he basically told me to 'just use any key for the 7 you're downgrading to, and make sure you keep the 8.1 disc'. Well, I don't have 'any' keys. I don't want to mess up an activated install somewhere else. I just can't risk it at work. There's probably a solution - there must be - someone help me out on this one if you can.

And why do we keep having these discussions - 'why no more win10 threads' 'uh oh, windows 10 is grinding to a halt'. I'm comfortable with anything really- except 8. 10 is fine - from what I can see at my clients'.

There will be a push going into the summer "last chance to get your free upgrade to windows 10"... etc.
The trick with that "last chance" thing is it's completely arbitrary. Microsoft could just be like "hey, we REALLY want people on 10 so we've extended our gracious offer out to 2017!" or whatever.

One thing I need to do is figure out all the old laptops we have that we could potentially use for Win10 Pro, which have Win7 Pro licenses already, and get them all upgraded. 8)

Gamers are people who fiddle around their systems on a constant basis. They are on the cutting edge.

Many reinstall their OS daily

Reinstall daily?! Really?

Bugger that, IMO that's representative of a very poor OS, and Windows is a PIA to install at the best of times compared to what I'm used to now...

I'm a gamer and I have been on this install of 8.1 since 2013. Reinstalling everything on my PC is a week long job that I certainly do not want to do even yearly, never mind, daily.

This guy makes a very good point about Win10.

Part Two: Resisting Windows 10?

“But Lee,” I hear you saying, “… isn’t it incredibly hypocritical of Microsoft to use computer security as an excuse to force users to upgrade to Windows 10, while W10 itself is riddled with privacy and security concerns?”

Yes. Yes, it is incredibly hypocritical.

I am gamer and both of my main machines have their original Windows 7 installs from August of 2009,

win-install-dates-2016.jpg

Reinstall daily?! Really?

Bugger that, IMO that's representative of a very poor OS, and Windows is a PIA to install at the best of times compared to what I'm used to now...

Please don't take one sentence out of context. Don't get me wrong, by 'many' I most certainly did not mean 'all'. Not even 'most'. However I personally do know a few hardcore tweakers that do so.

I haven't had a legitimate reason to reinstall Windows on my personal and work computers for years.

I was referring to people who benchmark, try out various GPUs, drivers... I know because I used to do just that. I mean - how many of you know - say - plan 9 or ReactOS? :)

Edit: As I'm typing this, on my ancient work laptop with XP _still_ on it :)D) it has an install date of 10th December 2008 :) This year I had put an SSD into it, cloned my OS to it and it's still truckin' along (AHCI!)

Last edited:
Catch being that "OK" is solely due to 7 not being available at all.
Windows 7 preinstallation for desktops and laptops wound down around the end of 2014 for consumer systems (i.e. non-Pro versions of Windows 7). Windows 7 is a legacy OS in extended support, 2 major versions old now. I don't think that's a valid complaint against Windows 10, unlike the situation with Windows 8.1 where Windows 7 could have been more widely available since system preinstallation was still allowed when 8.1 was introduced and for the next year.

Back