Looks like Ryzen will support Windows 7 and 8.1 after all

DPI

[H]F Junkie
So much for Microsoft trying to get AMD to artificially limit Ryzen to Windows 10, on the basis of some "deep integration" b.s. -- Ryzen board partners aren't having it. They're understandably interested in selling hardware without limiting their market to only one version of Windows.

BOOM - http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370-GAMING-5-rev-10#support-dl

Last edited:
Actually that is not a M$ choice that was the choice of Gigabyte to go out of their way to "support" the OS.

Now maybe other board makers will grow a pair of balls and do the right thing for their customer base...

Actually that is not a M$ choice that was the choice of Gigabyte to go out of their way to "support" the OS.

Well that was the point. Microsoft is desperate to create any artificial Windows 10 lockin through backroom agreements, and believed that having AMD corporate on board was enough to keep hardware partners on a short leash.

Last edited:
There are to many apps that are not currently compatible with Windows 10. One prime example would be Rockwell/Allen Bradley software. Windows 7 support is still a must.

Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are not supported on Ryzen.

If you somehow managed to get it installed, it's sill not supported.

That means that if you ever have a problem, MSFT will say: "Sorry, can't help you. Bye!"

Besides, it's time to move on from an eight years old operations system!

You shouldn't complain too much because the upgrade is free.

There are to many apps that are not currently compatible with Windows 10. One prime example would be Rockwell/Allen Bradley software. Windows 7 support is still a must.

That's why there are virtual machines.

Yeah but unless you have a machine with serious balls which most companies wont buy, they run like shit.

AMD still sell plenty of processors that are supported by Windows 7.

If companies need Windows 7 (for compatibility reasons), they still have plenty of options to choose from.

Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are not supported on Ryzen. If you somehow managed to get it installed, it's sill not supported.

"Somehow manage" -- Oh yes, it'll be incredibly difficult to manage to get 7 or 8.1 installed with official, signed AM4 chipset drivers for Windows 7 and 8.1. Especially since AMD themselves validated Ryzen across 7, 8.1 and 10.

Besides, it's time to move on from an eight years old operations system!

Says who? You? Sorry, I'll decide when its time to move to another version of Windows, which will be as soon as Microsoft creates one I deem worth upgrading to - meaning it actually adds more new features than the ones it removes, and I'm not having to waste hours beating it into submission with hacks to turn off the telemetry, advertising, forced updates and app bloat.

You shouldn't complain too much because the upgrade is free.

You shouldn't worry about which version of Windows people choose to run.

Last edited:
"Somehow manage" -- Oh yes, it'll be incredibly difficult to manage to get 7 or 8.1 installed with official, signed AM4 chipset drivers for Windows 7 and 8.1. Especially since AMD themselves validated Ryzen across 7, 8.1 and 10.

Says who? You? Sorry, I'll decide when its time to move to another version of Windows, which will be as soon as Microsoft creates one I deem worth upgrading to - meaning it actually adds more new features than the ones it removes, and I'm not having to waste hours beating it into submission with hacks to turn off the telemetry, advertising, forced updates and app bloat.

You shouldn't worry about which version of Windows people choose to run.

In that case, why even bother to upgrade to Ryzen?

Why don't you just keep using the computer that you have now?

In that case, why even bother to upgrade to Ryzen?

Why don't you just keep using the computer that you have now?

You sound like one of those "ermagerd its new must use, everything else sucks" twats.

Windows 7 will work just fine on Ryzen. If Microsoft chooses not to support it then W7 users will probably only lose out on some obscure features that only W10 takes advantage of anyway.

You sound like one of those "ermagerd its new must use, everything else sucks" twats.

Windows 7 will work just fine on Ryzen. If Microsoft chooses not to support it then W7 users will probably only lose out on some obscure features that only W10 takes advantage of anyway.

I use Windows 10 because it has all the under-the-hood improvements that Microsoft has added in the last eight years (faster boot/shutdown time, memory optimizations, performance optimizations, better support for SSDs, DirectX 12, DPI Scaling, etc. etc.)

If you don't care, why bother to upgrade to Ryzen?

There will still be some features that are not present. Gigabyte, thank them for doing this, cannot patch the Windows kernel to add CPU feature support.

You'll still be better off running Ryzen on 10.

Back