Looks like NO official driver/support for Ryzen on Windows 7

ir0nw0lf

Supreme [H]ardness
This is going to increase the sales of pitchforks for sure... :cautious:

http://digiworthy.com/2017/02/09/amd-ryzen-drivers-for-windows-7/

Recently, a report from ComputerBase emerged online which indicated AMD’s upcoming Ryzen processors would support Windows 7, despite Microsoft having already said that the chip would only be supported under the latest Windows 10. Today, AMD clarified on the issue and confirmed it won’t ship Ryzen drivers for Windows 7.

“To achieve the highest confidence in the performance of our AMD Ryzen desktop processors (formerly code-named ‘Summit Ridge’), AMD validated them across two different OS generations, Windows 7 and 10,” AMD said in a statement. “However, only support and drivers for Windows 10 will be provided in AMD Ryzen desktop processor production parts.”

This confirms AMD isn’t going to revert from its stance that it, along with Intel, has held for the last year. Last August, Microsoft said that Intel’s Kaby Lake and AMD’s Ryzen chips will officially be supported only under the company’s flagship Windows 10 operating system.

As for why it’s tying Windows 10 to Kaby Lake and Ryzen, Redmond said this is to maintain deep integration between Windows and the silicon, in order to ensure both are fully compatible with each other. Older operating systems simply couldn’t anticipate features that chip vendors would roll out later.

But, what would happen if you attempt to run Windows 7 on Kaby Lake or Ryzen system? Well AMD apparently has “verified” that its Ryzen chip would boot, though it seems likely that the Win7 PC won’t be able to take advantage of all of its capabilities.

To check out what happened when Heise Online tried to run Windows 7 on Kaby Lake Core i3-7100, click here.

Without specific support for a chip’s features, there’s always a decent chance of something breaking. Which is, of course, not an acceptable risk for gamers who are continuously trying to eke out the last little bit of performance from their graphics card.

In other words, PC gamers will have no choice but to choose between the latest hardware or Windows 7. What’s your take on AMD’s announcement of no official Ryzen drivers for Windows 7?

Microsoft decides this, not the IHV. So it shouldn't be a surprise.

did you really sign up just to argue aboot win10? do you use a smartphone? do you see how silly it is to argue win10 if you carry a smart phone? most if not all the thing you "hate" aboot w10 can be disabled in one way or another, it asks aboot ads and location during setup.

So your logic is the end-user must download third party apps to get the same experience they already have? That's okay, how?

The logic is you modify any OS to please yourself in any case, whether that's graphic drivers, something cool from Stardock to change the interface or a better firewall than Microsoft's. This concept of using software to further refine telemetry and patch management isn't at all foreign or even particularly difficult to implement.

No one said you MUST do it, you can choose to. You can also use the standard VGA drive for your 980Ti. I bet you don't choose to do so.

Windows 10 kind of sucks. I use it cause no matter what Microsoft is going to force it. But the updates for 10 suck, never had so many problems with updates before. Luckily I have pro and I can suspend them but it still is a mess. I liked windows 7 tho, but I knew they were going to kill it off as fast as they can.

The logic is you modify any OS to please yourself in any case, whether that's graphic drivers, something cool from Stardock to change the interface or a better firewall than Microsoft's. This concept of using software to further refine telemetry and patch management isn't at all foreign or even particularly difficult to implement.

No one said you MUST do it, you can choose to. You can also use the standard VGA drive for your 980Ti. I bet you don't choose to do so.

Yes, look at Shintai's post above: "They need to face reality and move on.". That's a pretty subtle way of undermining and throwing W7 users under the bus for no reason.

But you still have not explained to me how it's okay to install 3rd party apps just to get the same UX? Ofcourse, modifying the OS to please yourself is pretty nifty. Hell, I could do that on my W7 to make it look like 10 if I wanted.

The concept of using software to further refine telemetry =/= having a OS being fed ads 24/7 while they basically feed your os to advertisers/marketers. That's not okay, and not something that motivates me to upgrade. Quite frankly, I'm just sick of the passive aggressiveness that W10 users emit for no reason, they are not motivating anyone to upgrade, they are making it worse.

Yes, look at Shintai's post above: "They need to face reality and move on.". That's a pretty subtle way of undermining and throwing W7 users under the bus for no reason.

But you still have not explained to me how it's okay to install 3rd party apps just to get the same UX? Ofcourse, modifying the OS to please yourself is pretty nifty. Hell, I could do that on my W7 to make it look like 10 if I wanted.

The concept of using software to further refine telemetry =/= having a OS being fed ads 24/7 while they basically feed your os to advertisers/marketers. That's not okay, and not something that motivates me to upgrade. Quite frankly, I'm just sick of the passive aggressiveness that W10 users emit for no reason, they are not motivating anyone to upgrade, they are making it worse.

it only feeds ads and collects data if you let it, it can be turned off.

If you don't want Windows 10 then stick with Legacy hardware. The companies are going to do what they want. They design and produce the product. MS isn't the only company that has led the customer around by the tail kicking and screaming. Sometimes for good reasons. Sometimes not. Regardless this is one of those out of your direct control scenarios.

I don't know why people try to over complicate this. It is what it is.

If you don't want Windows 10 then stick with Legacy hardware.

I agree with this, 100%. I just don't like how people subtly and passive aggressively throw W7 users under the bus. There is no need for that. People know that W10 is out there and an option.

nobodys getting "thrown under the bus". this is called progress. are you angry you cant run leaded fuel in your new car?

I thought I never see the day when someone would call MS operating system progress. At best it is a meagre attempt at an improvement never any of it is based on technology just another form of market monopoly and new ways to shaft the consumer.

Like it or not, going forward it's either use Win10 or use legacy hardware. So I can either 1). Whine about Win7 some more or 2). Use Win10 with a few add-ons. 3 years from now when MS stops supporting Win7, you won't have much of a choice either way.

In fairness, I loved WinXP, but you change with the times.

When you're required to make use of third-party utilities to make the OS usable in most any degree, you're fucking doing it wrong. :D

I agree but I'm not the CEO of MS. And I'm not going to write my own OS anytime soon.

I agree with this, 100%. I just don't like how people subtly and passive aggressively throw W7 users under the bus. There is no need for that. People know that W10 is out there and an option.

I'll aggressively throw you under the bus since you seem to be a little slow. Windows 7 is 7 and a half years old. The high-end video cards at the time were the GTX275 and HD4870. It's *old*. If you don't want to use Windows 10, then fine, whatever. What you shouldn't do though is go on a rage about shit that can be easily turned off. OMG ADS AND TRACKING! Nearly every fucking website in the world runs tons of telemetry, that's how they stay in business. Same thing for ads. Do you run an ad/script blocker? Then shut the fuck up about maybe needing to use 3rd-party software to make your OS exactly the way you want. You're already doing it with web software, there's no difference.

Disappointing but w7 is 7 years old at this point. Won't discourage me if it is indeed a performer.

Linux is looking better every day.

Sorry, somebody had to be that guy. :p

Personally, I dual boot Win10 and ArchLinux, but you do whatever teh fook you want.

I'm not surprised at all. Tying specific hardware to specific versions of an OS has been happening since, well, forever: Printers and imaging devices (scanners, cameras, etc), GPUs, sound cards, chipsets, the list could damn near go on infinitely.

Ehh so they tested it and it works, which is the same you could say for Kaby Lake -- minus the iGPU, which Zen doesn't have.

Ehh so they tested it and it works, which is the same you could say for Kaby Lake -- minus the iGPU, which Zen doesn't have.

Oh yeah, I was surprised when I saw my dad's Kaby Lake rig booting from an ancient Win 7 install (Atom D510, yep) just fine. Didn't try messing around with the iGPU though as I still quickly replaced it with Win 10.

Here come the slapped arses still crying about the start screen that no-one on a desktop ever sees.

Magical :D

Here come the slapped arses still crying about the start screen that no-one on a desktop ever sees.

Magical :D
Disable telemetry service, disable advertisements, uninstall unwanted apps. Bam, windows 7 with better hardware support.

Where do you see these? I have been using W10 for a year and after flipping 3 toggles in settings, I haven't seen a single ad since.

I upgraded from 10 Home to Pro on this laptop just to be able to shut off Cortana and I still get pop ups and ads on my lock screen and desktop fucking constantly. All the time. Hell, I've had my games minimized several times so it could pop up some bullshit ad or "try this" thing, and I'm disabling a lot of the stuff at a process level. Microsoft has so thoroughly integrated the advertising that it is making me crazy just trying to do every day tasks.

Couldn't go back to Win 7; there must be several gigabytes of hotfixes alone by now!

It's easier to just install & activate Windows 10 LTSB than to strip out the bloatware with DISM and deal with all the other limitations from Home & so-called Pro editions.

In the longer term moving/or at least learning more of Linux seems like the best option.

Especially if the open standards catch on - Vulkan, etc.

There's so many embedded devices around now containing cheap ARMv8 SoC's (phones, tv boxes, tablets etc)

A low powered desktop PC in a tiny 10W box is marvellous!

I can still remember the old ZX Spectrum - half an hour to boot off a cassette tape.

Last edited:
Meh.. I was considering a Ryzen based system in the future.. But not sure now with the lack of Win7 support.. Windows 10 has given me nothing but problems in stability, drivers, and games/software since I started using it a year ago.

I upgraded from 10 Home to Pro on this laptop just to be able to shut off Cortana and I still get pop ups and ads on my lock screen and desktop fucking constantly. All the time. Hell, I've had my games minimized several times so it could pop up some bullshit ad or "try this" thing, and I'm disabling a lot of the stuff at a process level. Microsoft has so thoroughly integrated the advertising that it is making me crazy just trying to do every day tasks.

You have 2 problems.

1st - The popup that minimizes games is not normal Windows functionality. You have malware or something going on with your system. You will probably post back saying that you have a fresh clean install or that you have never had a virus/malware infection.. but this is not something that happens in a clean windows environment.

2nd - The tiny text ad that shows up in the lock screen is because you have Windows Spotlight picked as your lockscreen picture. You can easily turn that off by not using windows spotlight and turning off the ad in the settings. If you see anything more than a small text only ad on your lockscreen, you have malware.

http://i.imgur.com/qtxlnk7.jpg

Last edited:
Meh.. I was considering a Ryzen based system in the future.. But not sure now with the lack of Win7 support.. Windows 10 has given me nothing but problems in stability, drivers, and games/software since I started using it a year ago.

If those problems were related to your motherboard would that not solve the issue ?

You have 2 problems.

1st - The popup that minimizes games is not normal Windows functionality. You have malware or something going on with your system. You will probably post back saying that you have a fresh clean install or that you have never had a virus/malware infection.. but this is not something that happens in a clean windows environment.

2nd - The tiny text ad that shows up in the lock screen is because you have Windows Spotlight picked as your lockscreen picture. You can easily turn that off by not using windows spotlight and turning off the ad in the settings. If you see anything more than a small text only ad on your lockscreen, you have malware.

http://i.imgur.com/qtxlnk7.jpg

Hey look, someone else blaming windows 10 bullshit on the user, how mainstream.

Back