Looks like I was sent a pirated game from gogamer...

raz-0

Supreme [H]ardness
I've ordered a lot of things from gogamer, and while some of them have been gray areas (imports, bundled disks, etc). This time I got an outright pirated copy. Bought freedom force for like $7 on 48 hour madness for a friend. Finally get around to giving it to them, they open it up while I'm fixing their PC, and what's inside but a durabrand digital-audio CD-R. Doesn't function in most CD drives, and the ones it does function in take forever to recognise it. It appears to be a burnt copy of the game, but done very poorly.

Definitely not cool ripping me or the game's developers off.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

they do plenty of legitimate sales, heck, the game they gave me for free with the order is legitimate. Old, but legitimate. I have no idea why they would start messing with outright illegal stuff.

hmm thats odd, I just bought ground control II from them, and got the original game, manual and everything
although the box design looks different than the one you get to see at the local store

Wow...I've always thought of gogamer as a very good and reputable site for buying games for good prices. Is this just a mistake or is this something everyone should be worried about?

That's wierd. I've ordered a ton of stuff from them without a hitch. Plus they give you free crap like keychains.

I bought Prince of Persia the old one for 99 cents. All three CDs look authentic and so have all the other games I have bought from them (they are usaully in the retail box though. If you are getting even grey area disks, I would be surprised. I have always held a positive image of gogamer.

Can you get a picture of it? I want to see it.

There is a store in the UK that i know of where you can go in and ask for some software, and they wil burn it to CD as per your order. This is a fully legitimate business as long as they have permission to do so from the software companies and the appropriate licenses.

Maybe its like that?

in a rush, quick pic of it. has what looks like a key on the back of the booklet. whereas retail boxed FF either had no booklet, or I lost mine, completely different art on the back of the case, and the key was on the back of the case.

ff_disk.jpg

Somebody returned it, they quickly saw the top pic and didn't notice a strange cd inside (happens when u rush) and thought all was well and tada u get a cd-r. Not rocket science. :p

EDIT: Or maybe their source of that certain title was bad. Remember the motherboard and bad caps that was just a bad source? Well things happen.

Yep it wasn't the company producing and selling bad software. It was probably someone who bought the game.. and returned the game with CDR inside.. it was overlooked and shipped out.

Haha, even went so far to use Durabrand. That's one of the worst, if not THE worst, CDR brand ever.

But yeah, a return that's not checked thoroughly seems plausible especially if they have a B&M store. I've heard far too many cases where people try to return bags of sand and the like inside PC boxes to B&M stores and succeed.

it was packaged, so at the very least they resealed it. If you are goign to repackage something for resale you might want to at least check that the CDkey is still there. One might notice the obviously non-standard CD-R as you would have to open the jewel case to check that in this isntance.

I've also gotten no response from gogamer with regards to this topic after ocntacting them.

I'm perfectly willing to believe they got a bad supply and didn't check it, but that doesn't get them out of responsibility for reselling it.

I'm not looking to crucify gogamer, but in my experience most good web based companies get successful to a point and then become utter crap. I haven't ordered from gogamer in several months, so this is mostly just me posting to find out if it's an isolated iincident or gogamer jumping the shark.

It's $7, I don't like being ripped off, but I'm not going to spend a whole heck of a lot of time worrying about it. however, in a given year I'll spend a few hundred dollars at gogamer if the publishers crank out the games I want to buy, and that I do care about having ongoing problems with.

Probably some kid who wanted to make a few bucks so he stole the disc, copied it and put it back and took the disk to a used game store

Check this out...

Went to Best Buy this weekend and Picked up a Copy of NCAA 2005 for the Xbox... Got home opened it up (Had the Xbox Seal on it and everything, Felt like Manufacture Shrink Wrap) and inside was a Blank CDR... I was like WTF Best Buy is never going to believe me.. But they did exchange it... I have no Idea how someone pulled that off...

G

I know the return thing, but this is gogamer. It isn't me walking down to some brick and mortar store buying restocked items. It was a 48hour madness sale, which usually means gogamer has a warehouse full of something that needs to be cleared out, not someone ebaying the bargains from the used video game bin.

Ummmmm...what's wrong with Durabrand??? I use them along with others and I've never had any probs with them...work with my TDK cd-rw and my Aopen dvd-rom...work with my other older computers...what's wrong with this brand of blank cd media???

gthompson20 said:
Check this out...

Went to Best Buy this weekend and Picked up a Copy of NCAA 2005 for the Xbox... Got home opened it up (Had the Xbox Seal on it and everything, Felt like Manufacture Shrink Wrap) and inside was a Blank CDR... I was like WTF Best Buy is never going to believe me.. But they did exchange it... I have no Idea how someone pulled that off...

G

3 words ... Shrink Wrap Machine.

They dont cost that much.

theNoid said:
3 words ... Shrink Wrap Machine.

They dont cost that much.

Yeah but this wasnt like the heat sealed shrink wrap... it was the heavier folded at the corners like every other game type wrap...

G

gthompson20 said:
Yeah but this wasnt like the heat sealed shrink wrap... it was the heavier folded at the corners like every other game type wrap...

G

some dipshit at the factory/disc press place swapping em out before they get wrapped?

I went to buy need for speed porshe edition @ compusa when it first came out. I got home to find an empty Jewel Case. When I returned it and explained what happened, I walked up to the counter with the replacement box, and opened it in front of the service rep. Same thing, no cd. We went over and found 4 of the 7 boxes had the CD's ripped off.

People get upset with the return policies at bestbuy and compusa. It's this kind of crap that make those policies happen.

One of my coworkers bought a usb key drive from BestBuy and it appeared to be in all the original packaging. It still had some college girls information and photos on it. Unfortunately, not any really INTERESTING photos though. ;)

You know when you have a legit or other reason to return a piece of software.. They take it from you and put it in a bin. Then you go get a replacement.

Well that bin they put it in doesn't go in the trash. They send that software back to their source who sends it on to the publisher (usually). They just repackage it and send it out again as a new game. This whole thing just sounds like poor quality control somewhere in the process. I doubt gogamer even knew it was a used game. They probably picked it up being told it was new/budget title.

Klade said:
You know when you have a legit or other reason to return a piece of software.. They take it from you and put it in a bin. Then you go get a replacement.

Well that bin they put it in doesn't go in the trash. They send that software back to their source who sends it on to the publisher (usually). They just repackage it and send it out again as a new game. This whole thing just sounds like poor quality control somewhere in the process. I doubt gogamer even knew it was a used game. They probably picked it up being told it was new/budget title.

Well, if they picked it up, it wasn't in the us market, the packaging is incorrect. Given the past history of gogamer, I'd probably blame this on a buyer being lazy rather than a real attempt to defraud customers outright. But that being said, they still havent returned my email on the subject.

However the person in charge of legal matters at irrational games seems to be interested an in theory is sending me a call tag for the disk. As a person who makes their living writing software, I'm not keen on pirating in general, so i dropped them a line about it.

You know The Sims Online? I was selected to beta test it a few years back. However, when I got the disc, it had a humongous crack in it. I bought Sonic Adventures when I first got a Dreamcast from like BB or some other B&M, and there was only a third of the CD left. :D

Things like this happen. I didn't really care about The Sims Online beta test, so I didn't persue that. However, I went straight back to BB and they gave me a new copy, no questions asked.

I'm sure that GoGamer would at least want to know about this, and will definitely either refund you or send out another copy for you. All my experiences with them have been fantastic.

Back