Looks like cubic boron arsenide crystals are the next thing for cooling

Such thermal conductivity is a factor of 3 higher than that of silicon carbide and surpassed only by diamond and the basal plane value of graphite.

Not sure if these guys are talking about entire cooling systems or just the TIM. I am assuming just the TIM since it would be kinda nuts to build entire heatsinks out of this stuff.

There has been some diamond-based TIM out for a while now. It routinely gets outperformed by TIMs like Kryonaut & metallic .

"grown through modified chemical vapor transport technique"

Sounds vaguely similar to vapor deposition used to build up worn bearing surfaces.

3D printed CBA air cooler NICE!

"Kinda nuts" water cooling was kinda nuts with folks trying to find high flow aquarium pumps and 10' long 8" dia. abs pipe for a bong for their COMPUTER !

Last edited:
There has been some diamond-based TIM out for a while now. It routinely gets outperformed by TIMs like Kryonaut & metallic .
Yeah, I have a tube of that around somewhere, it's kind of useless (and it gets pretty hard if you leave it too long).

Looking through the paper doesn't mention any real world applications, just that they grew some crystals and tested the thermals. I doubt we'll be smearing arsenic crystals over heatsinks anytime soon, but they might get used under the heat spreader.

"Kinda nuts" water cooling was kinda nuts with folks trying to find high flow aquarium pumps and 10' long 8" dia. abs pipe for a bong for their COMPUTER !

I've seen a couple outtacontrol setups about a decade ago:

One guy tore apart a dehumifier and stuck the evaporator into a bucket of water/antifreeze. Then he piped the chilled coolant to an eheim pump via a 1/2" ID neoprene pipe, from the pump it went straight to the waterblock. Of course the chip pins (before the days of the LGA chip) were greased and the whole thing was covered in neoprene to keep the frost off the electronics. He was getting a good -14c coolant temp with that redneck chiller setup.

Then there were the chillers that used peltiers to cool the antifreeze. It would get below 0C, but not nearly as good as that phase-change chiller. It was tough finding decent PSUs to drive those because the chillers used at least 2 pelts. We had learned the hard way that when a tec was mounted directly to the chip and the tec died, it usually took the chip out with it in a pretty spectacular fashion. Using them on a chioller though gave us a few seconds to shut things down before ourt pcu was cooked. Of couse we were delidding our chips - no point doing any of this with heat spreaders in place.

Back