Looks like a Paid Subscription Service Coming to PSN

dwk

Gawd
ps3network.jpg

Could the end of free online gameplay for the PlayStation 3 be upon us, or is a new optional service on the way? In a recent Media/Investor conference, a slide that related to the PlayStation Network stated that there will be a “new revenue stream from subscription.”
Link: Here

This could be good or bad IMO. Good that they might get cross game chat bad that it will cost money. One thing it might do is create competition and lower the fees for live.

Maybe it refers to a netflix type of subscription that allows for watching movies at X$ per month?

And not necessarily a monthly fee for general PSN access or online game playing.

That is *really* ambiguous. That could be talking about QORE or media subscriptions.

Or a music/movie streaming or a comix reading through PSN which was supposed to come in Japan etc...

And a question for op how paid psn be more competitive than free PSN to live ?

That is *really* ambiguous. That could be talking about QORE or media subscriptions.

Not really when Modern Warfare 2 sold twice as many copies on the 360 than the PS3 and most people's reason for that is the online experience is better on the 360 and this could be said about other games too. I know that all of my multiplayer games I buy for the 360 and for my singleplayer only ones I wait to see which version is better before I buy it. It has shown Sony that a lot people don't care about paying for an online service and is a huge untapped revenue for them.

Not really when Modern Warfare 2 sold twice as many copies on the 360 than the PS3 and most people's reason for that is the online experience is better on the 360 and this could be said about other games too. I know that all of my multiplayer games I buy for the 360 and for my singleplayer only ones I wait to see which version is better before I buy it. It has shown Sony that a lot people don't care about paying for an online service and is a huge untapped revenue for them.

Or it could be the 360 install base is much larger than PS3s? Just a thought ;) Reality is there are no dedicated servers, so the experience will be more or less the same on either platform (it all depends on who you're playing with).

the online experience is IDENTICAL when in game. Other than the amount of 360 players vs ps3, which i saw 250k online PSN last night playing. Its really a moot point. People buy it for the system that they have friends buying it for.

the online experience is IDENTICAL when in game. Other than the amount of 360 players vs ps3, which i saw 250k online PSN last night playing. Its really a moot point. People buy it for the system that they have friends buying it for.

from what i head the fact the PSN uses any blutooth head set lead salot of people to buyt he cheapest one possible which leads to quality problems. Friends tell me they have to mute some people on there PS3 simply cause when that other person talks they sound like crap.

As I dont have a PS3 yet I cant acctually comment on this though.

They've already said that online play will remain free... it's other stuff they want to charge for.

Maybe cross game chat will be the first, who knows.

from what i head the fact the PSN uses any blutooth head set lead salot of people to buyt he cheapest one possible which leads to quality problems. Friends tell me they have to mute some people on there PS3 simply cause when that other person talks they sound like crap.

As I dont have a PS3 yet I cant acctually comment on this though.

Because XBox Live is the pinnacle of voice quality or something? Have those same friends ever used XBL, because I can assure you its no better on the other side of the bridge :p

This seems like the similar argument to "PSN gaming is worse because a lot of people are on wireless"

This is geared towards developers and why to choose PSN to dev games for. They are saying their subscription service allows games to have such and it would be a revenue stream for the dev company.

This is not at all suggesting PSN will start costing money.

Because XBox Live is the pinnacle of voice quality or something? Have those same friends ever used XBL, because I can assure you its no better on the other side of the bridge :p

This seems like the similar argument to "PSN gaming is worse because a lot of people are on wireless"

I agree there. Live has nothing to brag about, their voice quality sucks just as much. I mute everyone anyway though.

At least with PS3 they give you choice. Instead of 2 options: Awful $30 wired headset or awful $100 wireless headset.

Rental service? Come on Sony, I know you can win, you've done it before. Just do something truly awesome, just one more time.

Its not though. It is much easier to connect with and invite your friends on the 360.

I dont buy multiplayer games for my ps3

Playing online with live is a lot better than on PSN, I have both systems and live is easier to hop into a game with a friend. I have a hard time getting into matches on the PSN. All my multiplayer multiplatform games are on the 360, while most of the single player exclusives are on the ps3.

The service was rumored a long time ago to be this:

Pay $amount a month, get unlimited downloads on anything.

Sony isn't going to be like M$ and make you pay for the core online service. Everything will be there- if they even decided to implement this, which I doubt, it's going to be a rental/leasing service.

Meh, if it's pay to play I'll stick to my 360 which offers are more better variety than PSN.

Back