Looking to upgrade my z5500

revival

Limp Gawd
Looking to upgrade my z5500 that served me well for 10plus years

Dont really need surround sound just good quality sound

I was thinking of some studio monitors and and a sub

Thoughts or recommendations?

I used to have the Z5500 and they replaced Klipsch Promedia 5.1. I really didnt like listening to music in surround and I am old school and prefer to listen to music in 2 channel. Why studio monitors are you gonna use them to sample or just for listening? I scrapped the sub and just have book shelf speakers hooked up to a decent amp/dac.

I prefer my bookshelf speakers over the Z5500 setup and in my opinion was a better quality sound.

5.1 to 2.0 ? Why? You're gonna miss a lot in gaming.

I have Steelseries Arctis 5 headphones and prefer headphones for gaming especially for fps multiplayer. I responded to OP because it sounds like he is not interested in surround sound anymore but a 2.1 setup.

If you have 1000 bucks to use, you can get a decent 2.0 and a horrible 5.1.

If you want a decent 5.1 you have to spend 4-5k.

I agree with B00nie here, IMO, my two bookshelf speakers sound better than the Z5500 setup.

I was thinking of getting like a pair of audioengine a2plus or a5 or a presonus 3.5 . Then get a separate sub . would those sound better than what i have currently?

5.1 to 2.0 ? Why? You're gonna miss a lot in gaming.

A good 2.0/2.1 system will dominate a all in one 5.1 system when it comes to soundstage. A quality driver delivering sounds you won't hear out of a $2 quality center channel is a drastic improvement. Satellites in all in one systems are pathetic. Just get headphones for the price and be a happier person if you want cheap surround sound.

I was thinking of getting like a pair of audioengine a2plus or a5 or a presonus 3.5 . Then get a separate sub . would those sound better than what i have currently?

My personal belief is that a 2.0/2.1 system of quality gear will be a vast improvement. I use Mackie powered monitors and the wonderful Polk 10" subwoofer. I say wonderful cause at $100 it can't be beat pricewise in small deployments. I bought my dad Presonus 4.5's and they are equally as good. That said, I would not recommend the current mackie monitors as their quality has collapsed after the EAW/transcom nonsense. Presonus or KRK are the others I have experience with and liked. Presonus probably over KRK. I have not used Yamaha, Edifer or other popular budget friendly models so I can't suggest those in faith.

If you plan on using a sub with powered monitors, make sure the speaker/monitor you buy has an audio out jack. If it doesn't you will need a mixer with a monitor/fx send. If you buy passive, the receiver will take care of the connection.

So, to preface this, I still also have my old trusty Z5500 from like 12 years ago now? It's been so long... and they still are adequate for TV duties, don't get me wrong. Back in the day for the money, it was a GREAT bang for the buck system. It continues to serve me reliably in my living room for the time being.

I retired it maybe 2-3 years ago to the living room and happened across a couple deals I couldn't pass up: Kenwood KAM-1 receiver, 2x pairs of Advent Baby II's (late 70's, but I only run 2 on my PC setup, see the pic below, the other 2 are for my vinyl setup in my den) and a BIC Formula F-12 Sub. Optical in from my PC to the receiver, RCA to the sub (internal amp), and 16 Gauge wire to the left and right. Nothing special by any means,

I'm currently in the middle of re-foaming all 4 of the Baby II's (good old foam rot...) but anyway, I can say for sure, if you want to listen to music, 2.0/1 is the way to go. I keep the sub dialed way back, and it strikes a nice balance between the quality sound of these old speakers, just a bit more thump.

I can't tell you how much better even my "cobbled together" setup sounds VS the Z5500, no comparison at all....

Take these guys recommendations above and look into 2.0/1/ more. All I can say is you're leaving so much on the table by not upgrading.

Last edited:
Back