Looking to upgrade my Xonar DX.

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
I've kinda got the upgrade bug at the moment and want to upgrade sound card first. Currently have the Xonar DX. What's a worthwhile upgrade right now? I've been out of the loop as far as most pc components are concerned so I have no idea what the current gems are. Headphones I use are the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. I mainly play games on this rig, but do also listen to music & the only movies I watch are youtube clips, twitch etc.

Any recommendations? As far as price goes, I'd like to stay Below $175

Last edited:
Honestly no, or at least a difference you will notice. One of the fancier more expensive Xonars of course would be but I don't think it will be that much better than what you have. You may want to consider going to an external DAC if you really feel the need to replace.

I've kinda got the upgrade bug at the moment and want to upgrade sound card first. Currently have the Xonar DX. What's a worthwhile upgrade right now? I've been out of the loop as far as most pc components are concerned so I have no idea what the current gems are. Headphones I use are the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. I mainly play games on this rig, but do also listen to music & the only movies I watch are youtube clips, twitch etc.

Any recommendations? As far as price goes, I'd like to stay Below $175

I run the same setup :)

Honestly, I can't see any sound card that would be considered an upgrade.

Yeah, there are certainly "better" cards spec wise, but I doubt you'd hear the difference on a ATH-AD700. The next step up is really to soundcards with a headphone amp, and your current headphones won't really benefit from it. I can speak to this, as a ATH-m50 user running with a Xonar Xense.

Stay away from the Asus Phoebus. Look at the sticky in this forum to see why.

Back