Looking to upgrade my video card

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

I got an Intel Yorkfield Q8200 w/ 4 GB RAM and a Corsair 520 PSU. I will be picking up a slightly used Black Widow Thermaltake 850W modular PSU for cheap locally and I'm wanting to upgrade my dual 8800GT video cards to something more powerful. I got about a $300 budget and looking at the GTX 465 or 470 but I'm concerned that my CPU will be a bottle neck for them. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
just do a mild oc on that cpu, go with a gtx460 and keep your current Corsair power supply.

did you mention what res you want to play at?

I got an Intel Yorkfield Q8200 w/ 4 GB RAM and a Corsair 520 PSU. I will be picking up a slightly used Black Widow Thermaltake 850W modular PSU for cheap locally and I'm wanting to upgrade my dual 8800GT video cards to something more powerful. I got about a $300 budget and looking at the GTX 465 or 470 but I'm concerned that my CPU will be a bottle neck for them. What do you guys think?

I would not recommend that Black Widow Thermaltake 850W PSU. It is part of the TR2 RX line, which is of very uncertain quality. The 850W TR2 RX could have been an older-design CWT PSH-based unit or (more recently) an HEC-built unit.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. What would a mild OC be for this CPU? 2.5Ghz?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. What would a mild OC be for this CPU? 2.5Ghz?
I have no experience with that cpu but you should be able to hit 2.8 just by raising the fsb to 400.

again what res are you going to play at though??

i have almost the same setup q8200 on a msi g31m3v2 with a gtx 460 1gb. my cpu does not bottleneck my gpu except in BFBC2, but i still get pretty good framerates (avg 45) at max settings 1680x1050. depending on what res you play at a 470 may be overkill, but a 465 is a piece of crap and should be avoided. the 460 is faster, cooler and quieter.

I would not recommend that Black Widow Thermaltake 850W PSU. It is part of the TR2 RX line, which is of very uncertain quality. The 850W TR2 RX could have been an older-design CWT PSH-based unit or (more recently) an HEC-built unit.

I concur. That PSU better be free in order to be worth using.

I concur. That PSU better be free in order to be worth using.

I meant that the good samples run really well while the bad ones of that same model (even from the same actual manufacturer) shut themselves down for no apparent reason. That's why I call their quality "uncertain".

i have almost the same setup q8200 on a msi g31m3v2 with a gtx 460 1gb. my cpu does not bottleneck my gpu except in BFBC2, but i still get pretty good framerates (avg 45) at max settings 1680x1050. depending on what res you play at a 470 may be overkill, but a 465 is a piece of crap and should be avoided. the 460 is faster, cooler and quieter.
that cpu most certainly limits a gtx460 at 1680x1050 especially in games that don't use more than 2 cores. just because you don't realize it doesn't mean its not happening. now there's is nothing that wont be playable but still quite a bit of performance is lost compard to having a faster cpu.

just do a mild oc on that cpu, go with a gtx460 and keep your current Corsair power supply.

did you mention what res you want to play at?

Do the most insane yet stable overclock you can, dont do a modest overclock, people have gotten 3.6 on air. I'd hoot for over 3.2 ghz overclock on your cpu. The more you overclock it, the less chance it has at bottlenecking you when you run your games at higher resolutions.

Do the most insane yet stable overclock you can, dont do a modest overclock, people have gotten 3.6 on air. I'd hoot for over 3.2 ghz overclock on your cpu. The more you overclock it, the less chance it has at bottlenecking you when you run your games at higher resolutions.
that cpu only has a multi of 7 so I doubt very many people are hitting well over 500 on the front bus when overclocking those cpus. he would probably need better memory and certainly a better cooler for speeds above. I suggested 400x7 as a very easy overclock that would require no skill, probably no voltage change and allow him to keep the stock cooler. that would probably eliminate 90% of any bottleneck that would occur while using a gtx460 at 1920.

1680x1050 is the resolution that it'll be used at.

Should I get the 768MB version or the 1GB version? I'm going to assume since I'm not going to be gaming on high resolutions that the 768MB version will be the best bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
1680x1050 is the resolution that it'll be used at.

Should I get the 768MB version or the 1GB version? I'm going to assume since I'm not going to be gaming on high resolutions that the 768MB version will be the best bet.
the amount of vram is not the only difference. the 1gb card has 256 bit for more memory bandwidth and more rops. for your cpu and res though the 768mb model is the better choice IMO especially since it can usually be found for MUCH cheaper. the only way I would suggest a 1gb model for you is if you find a really good deal. no matter which one you go with make sure you oc to 2.8 like I mentioned earlier to help get as much out of the card as possible.

I am open to upgrading the CPU, if the current platform can handle such an upgrade.

It's an ASUS P5N-D 750i SLI motherboard. Can I get a better CPU to better utilize the video card upgrade or will I need to upgrade the mobo/ram as well? If the latter, then I'll do that later not worried about it now.

I am open to upgrading the CPU, if the current platform can handle such an upgrade.

It's an ASUS P5N-D 750i SLI motherboard. Can I get a better CPU to better utilize the video card upgrade or will I need to upgrade the mobo/ram as well? If the latter, then I'll do that later not worried about it now.
I would not spend any money on upgrading the cpu for that platform. the cpu you have now is pretty decent anyway and all you need to do is oc it. at 2.8 it will give you almost all of what the gtx460 768mb is capable of at settings you are likely to run. in other words unless you are running just medium and below settings then a faster cpu than yours at 2.8 isn't going to do much of anything in 99% of cases.

I would suggest saving up for a GTX 460 in SLI, they scale really really well.
that makes no sense in the context of this thread though. he is not looking for something like that and his cpu would be a pretty large limitation for that level of gpu power and overhead.

I would not spend any money on upgrading the cpu for that platform. the cpu you have now is pretty decent anyway and all you need to do is oc it. at 2.8 it will give you almost all of what the gtx460 768mb is capable of at settings you are likely to run. in other words unless you are running just medium and below settings then a faster cpu than yours at 2.8 isn't going to do much of anything in 99% of cases.

That's what I was thinking. We'll just get a 460 for now then save up to upgrade the platform at a later time.

Back