Looking to upgrade my home network

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
I currently have a DIR-655 wireless router, and I think it is on its last leg. I have been getting frequent connection drops, and the speed seems slower than it was when new.

I have a pretty small apartment, about 1,000sf so rang is not incredibly important at this point, but I would like to buy something now that will last a while.

Here is what I am thinking

WAN
|
V
Motorola surfboard
|
V
SuperServer 5015A-EHF (running untangle or IPCop)
|
V
Cisco SR2016T 16-port gig switch
|
V
Cisco WAP-4410N Access Point

Clients include roku, xbox, 2 iPhones, 3 mac laptops, 2 desktops, 1 WHS box and some random desktops when friends come over or that I am working on for someone else.

I have some older cisco hardware laying around that I use as a lab, but I would like to go fully gigabit for my "prod" network, and keep the older cisco gear (2621 routers, 2900xl, 2950) as my lab setup.

I would like to keep the total spend below $1k (tax refund). Anything left will be dumped into more storage and a new case for the WHS box.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd dump the cisco switch and AP, and go with a Dell powerconnect 2747, then buy an asus RT-N16 and dd-wrt it and make that your AP. You would save a ton of cash.

Try searching ebay for powerconnect 2716, it looks like they can be had for about $50 shipped. I'm not too sure what you would want for wireless, but I know I'm happy w/ my Cisco aironet 1200, it does ABG, and I paid about $50 for it on ebay.

2724 sorry. It's a 24 port managed switch.

Thanks, the 2624 and 2724 look like a great value in the $50-100 range on ebay. I think I will go with one of those.

Still need to figure out the wireless piece. I have installed one of those 4410-N WAPs and was happy with it, so I may stick with that for now.

Thanks

Back