Looking to upgrade from single GTX 570 for 120hz. Suggestions?

JMFitzy85

Weaksauce
Hello,

First Post here for me but I've been a long time lurker and have searched through a lot of similar threads and read some of the reviews on the site as well.

I know these threads are pretty common and I do appreciate you guys taking the time to answer me back.

I recently purchased a 120hz monitor (Asus VG278H, 1920x1080) and I'm currently running a single GTX 570. The games I'm currently playing (DOTA 2, DMC, Path of Exile) haven't had issues running over 120 FPS naturally, but I recently started playing Far Cry 3 and while I understand this is a demanding game I'm not able to consistently push the frames I would like.

I had SLI'd 570's previously and still was only able to achieve about 70-80 maximum in most of Far Cry 3's areas. No longer have them SLI (Gave card away to a friend) I would like to upgrade and most likely go SLI again in the future but would also consider ATI's offerings.

Looking to spend about 800 if it's on two cards, and would most likely if need be SLI or CFX at a later date. Trying to push 120 in games of Far Cry 3's caliber.

Power Supply is a 750 watt gold rated seasonic. Sorry for the long post, thanks for your suggestions in advance!

To get 120 fps in Farcry 3 you will have to run with MSAA 2x or even turn off MSAA. thats with HD 7970 Ghz CF or 680 SLI.

Best bang for your buck would be 7950 CF or GTX 670 SLI and overclock them both. Neither the 7970 or the GTX 680 offer a lot more over their little brothers despite the high cost increase (and that gap is smaller when everything is overclocked). In either case, pushing 120FPS in something like Far Cry 3 will be difficult. IIRC, the SSAO they use is terribly inefficient, so really you'll just be dumping money into poor coding.

Back