Looking to jump into my first mini ITX build but need some help

1. What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming, Photoshop (or other intensive programs), Web browsing, strictly HTPC/Playback, etc. (If you have multiple things you want to do with the system, make sure you rank them from most important to least important).

Poker programs, which is lots of open tables (apps, memory) and some calculators. This involves CPUs calculating like prime95, and reading / writing to a PSQL database (SSD would come in handy!). This is the main use. I will also be using photoshop, and lastly gaming when I can fit it into the build and budget.

I will be traveling internationally, so if it could be transported safely that would be a big plus.

2. Will you be overclocking? (If so, are you looking to watercool?)

I would like to if it is feasible with the cooling options in the small form.

3. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?

budget is a factor but primarily performance, focusing on priorities. This is why I am not including a GPU in my initial builds. I want good performance I Can tote around mostly.

4. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)?
I live in Thailand, there is a good online shop (invadeit.co.th) and a couple of local shops but mostly everything is ordered from here.

5. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need (especially if you will need 3.5" hard drives or expansion cards as these may restrict case options).

I need at least an I7 6700 processor, 16 GB of ram, an extra SSD (I have a 500 GB Samsung Evo 850 already) for the 100+ GB database.

6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. For reused parts, list brands, model #s, and, if applicable, firmware revisions.

Just the 500 GB Samsung Evo 850 ssd.

7. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Thunderbolt? Crossfire or SLI support? How many USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s? etc. Which is more important, size of the system or having the particular feature? Make sure you indicate *required* vs. *wanted* for each feature you list.

I would like the best internet connection possible. Any features that could perhaps save a lost internet connection, or provide a backup in the event of my LAN going down, could easily pay for the motherboard. I would like m.2 support and mini-itx form. Z170 because X99 mini/micro boards are not available here.

8. What resolution output do you need? 4k playback, 1080p playback, etc for HTPC or give a vertical/horizontal resolution for gaming SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output?

Two monitors would be ideal, I have a 2560x1440 144hz 27'' monitor, want adequate performance on this.

9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc. Many modern SFF cases have either removed the optical drive or have been constructed so that removing the ODD increases the configuration possibilities immensely.

If it can fit in a carry on bag that would be swell, but if this is a huge sacrifice i can check it in baggage and dissasemble it. I don't need a optical drive, this is 2016. I would like 1 TB of HDD space though.

10. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? What tools do you have (Screwdrivers/Leatherman, Drill, Dremel, Metal snips, Soldering Iron, Bending Brake, CNC/Welding machines/Plasma cutter, etc...)?

I don't have any tools besides for a screwdriver, but I ca hire help if need be. I'm not scared to break things that can be replaced!

11. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem? HTPCs typically want to be quiet while all-out SFF gaming rigs don't care ;)

I would like it to not be a bother a foot or two away from me, some white noise is not a big deal but no screeching or high pitched noises.

12. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?

Carry on bag is great, so weight is a consideration. I would like adequate CPU cooling in any form, and the low profile options here are limited (corsair h60, argon ar06, notcua NH-L12, u12s, janix)

13. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Remember that OEM copies of Win7 have issues with new motherboards :eek:

yes 64 bit win7

14. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Immediately, in a couple weeks, 3-5 years? :p

I just sold my PC so I need it ASAP! Going to buy in 2-3 days maximum.

notes, node 202, 500, m1, phantek, evga are not available here.

For most your uses, anything modern with plenty of RAM would suffice.

Specifically for gaming, what games? This could make a huge difference in whether a discrete graphics card would be recommended.

Internet connection would be external to your computer, as long as it has the necessary network devices such as WiFi and LAN.

While the default recommendation would be the latest generation, if it would help with your gaming and you can find/afford them, the 5th gen Intel CPUs (i7-5775) have better graphics.

Aside from graphics, based on your description I would go with an Antec ISK 110, ITX board, 16GB DDR4, stock CPU cooler with Smart Fan enabled in BIOS, etc. Actually, pretty standard build. Case can support two 2.5" drives, and motherboard you choose may have an m.2. Case is pretty easy to transport - just don't forget the power brick.

hello, most laptops even run my requires games (individual poker sites, the programs that write to databases, and for games mostly CS:GO, hearthstone). The issue is when I need to run 20 of these apps at the same time, and the calculators run prime95 basically. They go so far as to recommend a 5820k and 64 GB ram. They do not have mini ITX Boards with these here however.

Any non-standard processor is very hard to come by here, they definitely do not have these. Mostly limited to I5, I7 from the last couple of generations, and only the most mainstream models, I have never even seen an "s" processor here.

I really like this case, but again the availability of cases is really limited here. The micro atx cases are only the most popular ones on the market basically, a few lian lis, thermaltakes, and then the generic ones like cooler master, corsair they have lots of. SIlverstone is in ample supply, and they have a couple of fractal design cases (no node 202 or 500). I am more or less limited to the Silverstone line (considering sugo sg13 or rvz02 / ml08b-h) or fractal design node 304, cooler master, or thermaltake core v1 / suppressor. There are a couple of other options but nothing stands out besides these.

I really am having a hard time with such a limited amount of choices, I did not even consider a case like that was out there, but it would defintiely be something I would consider if available.

Thank you for the input!

Sounds as if you need the fastest CPU you can get.
X99 on mITX: ASRock X99E-itx/ac
Unfortunately will be RAM limited, and you'll still need discrete graphics.

Let me get this out of the way: You will have to compromise.

If you want it easily portable, then you will have to cut down on performance unless you want to lug a micro ATX tower around. Can you do that? Yes. Would you want to? Don't know.

I'm thinking your best bet would be a Core i7-6XXX CPU, ITX board, 32GB DDR4, whatever SSD, smallest case. I still think the Antec ISK 110 would be a good choice if you can get it.

What you get: Small transportable case that you can take as carry-on or checked in that would also be reasonably durable.

What you compromise on: Only 32GB RAM, only 4 cores/8 threads, integrated graphics means CS:GO needs to be run at low settings,

thanks! That motherboard would be perfect, but its not available here. I am getting killed by the compromises, definitely need to make some! I have spent a painful amount of hours trying to figure this out. I do think I am limited to a portable mini ITX case, so I can carry it on, leaving out micro ATX cases. There is no 16 GB Single stick DDR4 here that I can find but 16 GB Should be fine for now.

The big problem and decision for me is the case. That antec is not available, there are so few choices here its driving me crazy. I am limited to basically these:
Silverstone SG13, Raven RVZ01, RVZ02, or ML08B-H (handle)
Fractal Design node 304
Lian Li PC-Q10 or TU100

All have issues. SG13 is light and portable, fits lots of hardware, but it runs hot and isn't build the best. This case can definitely be brough onboard as it is light and small. CPU coolers are limited to ARgon AR06 or AIO coolers (may not be a problem for transport? I have never used them before).
RVZ02/ML08-H look good, but suffer from the same CPU cooler issues , perhaps without the AIO support. The durability is questionable, and it may not fit in carry on (the dimensions seem VERY close)
Node 304: It would fit in carry on dimension wise, I believe, but it is a bit heavy. Basically would not be able to bring it carry on if weighed, and would need a special bag most likely, but the size is close and the weight is a bit high. On the other hand, that weight (not really heavy just solid) grats it durability. It fits a wider range of coolers and I can use a Noctua 12s or 14s.
Lian Li TU 100 has component issues, but the biggest putoff for me is the terrible temperatures. The PCQ10 has few reviews, I Can't figure out if it would fit in a carry on or not, but its expensive. IT looks like the m case n-1 though, and it has plenty of cooling options.

I think a 6700k processor is what I want to go with, but the cooler and cases are a tough call. Do you have any opinions of these cases with such a build? I am not too concerned about the GPU for now, I could fit a small 750 TI in any of them to hold me over for a while.

The ml08 is your best bet if you need a good GPU. Since the intake is fresh air, you will not have a problem with running an i7. However you won't be able to overclock it much. Rvz01 will give you better cooler options for overclock. You can also look at ml06. It is half the size of the ml08. It can accommodate a half height gpu, this means you can get a 750ti. I suspect with 14nm this summer we will get some very power efficient cards available. At the worst you can reuse everything in a different case.

I do not really require a good GPU, I think if I could fit an R9 380 in it would be enough, or a GTX 970. I actually plan on not using any gpu for a while now. I like the ml08 but it is apparently too big to fit in carry on where the SG13 does.
here is what I have :
PCPartPicker part list: Intel Core i7-6700, Silverstone Sugo SG13B-Q - System Build - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant: Intel Core i7-6700, Silverstone Sugo SG13B-Q - System Build - Price Breakdown By Merchant - PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($335.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($121.49)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($97.50)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($392.41)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.00)
Case: Silverstone Sugo SG13B-Q Mini ITX Tower Case ($42.00)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($102.00)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 158.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus MG279Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Other: Silverstone 140mm Magnetic Fan Filter ($10.00)
Total: $1185.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-04 04:49 EST-0500
please let me know if its okay! I could easily switch the case for the ml08 as well (taking out the fan and filter of course). I would like to keep ml08 as the case of choice but I am concerned about not being able to carry it on a plane and risk damaging parts by checking it in.

Last edited:
You can save some money by going with gskill nt series ram. The heatsinks on ram are decorative and the nt series come without them. If you can, you should wait for the corsair sf450/sf600 power supply. The Silverstone units are known to have annoying sounds. Also the node 202 is a better choice. It should fit in a carryon. The sg13 you won't have very good cooling compared to the node 202. In both cases you should get an aftermarket CPU cooler to keep thermals in check.

Back