Looking to go to 10gb at home; should I do multi-gig switch?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking to get 10gb running at home. I'm confused whether I should get one of those multi-gig switches that does 1/2.5/5/10 or just a full-blown 10gb switch.

Which way do you guys go and what do you recommend?

Probably looking 8-12 port; probably through Amazon (or is there a better retailer/e-tailer?).

Backbone is Cat6 cabling throughout the house.

Me, personally, I have the QNAP 12-port since it has SFP+ and RJ45.

https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-QSW-120...AP&qid=1570649758&rnid=2941120011&s=pc&sr=1-3

I'm using Aquantia AC107 NICs in my comps.
https://www.amazon.com/Aquantia-NIC-5-speed-Ethernet-Network/dp/B07C5VLVFF/ref=sr_1_1?crid=255WU1D82WJ4V&keywords=aquantia+aqc107&qid=1570649847&s=electronics&sprefix=aquantia,electronics,287&sr=1-1

I'm happy with it so far.

PullFrom.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How long are your cat6 runs?

10G is not rated to work over cat6 at 100 meters. I think it will only work at 40 meters, tops. If you need to go longer, you need to upgrade to CAT6a.

How long are your cat6 runs?

10G is not rated to work over cat6 at 100 meters. I think it will only work at 40 meters, tops. If you need to go longer, you need to upgrade to CAT6a.

It's a 2-story townhouse... at most, maybe 100-120 feet, which is at most 30 meters. But good call!! Definitely will keep in mind for future runs.

You might as well do the 10g switch instead of multi-gig, better support, more options

Netgear and FS have 'cheap' 10GB switches

You could pull armored fiber

Are you going to need 10GB everywhere or just between a few machines?

I was going to snag one of those 16-port managed netgear 10GbE switches but am vacillating on whether to stay cat 6a or just go fiber in the walls.

I was going to snag one of those 16-port managed netgear 10GbE switches but am vacillating on whether to stay cat 6a or just go fiber in the walls.
Fiber is nice if every device has SFP+ ports which isn’t the case in the consumer world. I would stick to 1/10G-baseT for the home devices. I would save the fiber for switch uplinks, server stuff ( Twinax for sub-7m Connections is nice too), although you can run fiber to a desktop if you have a NIC with SFP+ plus ports in it, but I wouldn’t bother if you can get a mobo with a 10G port already. If you want to do it the right way, have your wall runs terminate at a patch panel, which you can patch your switch to.

Back