Looking to get new air cooler for OC

justin82

Limp Gawd
Im looking to get a new HSF for OC'ing, I have an old pretty beat up XP-90 that im looking to replace. I have seen a lot of THESE in the forums lately are they worth it? Any other recommendations. I want a good balance of cooling and noise. Thanks

U have an XP-90 and want a new HS???... well what ever you want.
You should definately get the Thermalright SI-120.:D

Those new zalmans are aight. Whats wrong with your xp-90 though? I doubt you'll see more than a 2c diff with whatever other models you look at.

I think you should just stick with your XP-90 ...unless... the noise is too loud with a 92mm fan. You will see a minimal difference with a new HS that one is very good. The only big difference will be the sound.

coolkishan said:
I think you should just stick with your XP-90 ...unless... the noise is too loud with a 92mm fan. You will see a minimal difference with a new HS that one is very good. The only big difference will be the sound.

If you look at his sig he is using a vantec tornado :p He is probably deaf hehehehe

its been thru 3 diff computers and its pretty beat and banged up. dust and shit on it wont even come off w/ soaking it in alcohol. Im not looking for super heavy OC or anything. plus I have a DFI SLI-DR so the XP120 is out of the question for my usage.

As is said get Si-120 clears up compatibility issues with XP-120 thats why they made it

justin82 said:
plus I have a DFI SLI-DR so the XP120 is out of the question for my usage.

now thats just misinformation. i will tell you right now that the xp120 fits on the DFI SLI-DR/Ultra-D/nf4-D whatever you wanna say. it just makes installing ram in the first orange slot a bitch. the heatpipes dont mess up SLI or anything, youll be fine with it.

but for a new HSF, my vote goes for the BigTyphoon or the Scythe Ninja. they are quiet and cool VERY well.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
but for a new HSF, my vote goes for the BigTyphoon or the Scythe Ninja. they are quiet and cool VERY well.

Typhoon comes with an excellent and VERY quiet fan......I am most impressed with it after using a Zalman 7700Cu (still decent) and even a mini water cooling rig....

ok, so i hear, scythe ninja (i heard the shogun was better?) big typhoon. which has best performance with the easiest install.

Big Typhoon is the best cooler on the market in terms of cooling performance.
It's also cheap and quiet, but a PITA to mount from what I've heard.
Of course that shouldn't be a big issue unless you're always swapping CPUs.

I went from a XP-90 to a CNPS9500 and it made a decent increase in performance.

I can't really tell you how much though in temps as I also switched motherboards at the same time and I've never known two motherboards to report the same temps between the two. I can say that my overclocks increased by changing my mobo and heatsink.

AppaYipYip said:
The Zalman 9500 is the best you are going to get for air cooling! You will not be disappointed! :D :cool:

My install pic thread

Those two, the 9500 and the typhoon, are so close in performance, that your particular setup would be what makes one "better" than the other. There is no "best". Period.
:D

TheRapture said:
Those two, the 9500 and the typhoon, are so close in performance, that your particular setup would be what makes one "better" than the other. There is no "best". Period.
:D

Sure there is! Whichever setup I pay my hard earned money for is the "best"! :p :D

Hey DO NOT forget Swiftech.

They still have some Kick butt HS that can match and beat at times, anything that is on the market.
Check out the
MCX64-V
and the
MCX6400-V

pairdice said:

They still have some Kick butt HS that can match and beat at times, anything that is on the market.
Check out the
MCX64-V
and the
MCX6400-V

yea if you push bathroom fart fan amounts of air on them

pairdice said:

Check out the
MCX64-V
and the
MCX6400-V

Are they heatpipe coolers?

TheRapture said:
Are they heatpipe coolers?

no, they use helicoid pins, which are really tightly wound spring looking things, they add surface area to allow for better cooling. its really a neat idea, ive always wanted to get one to have fun with.

pairdice said:

Check out the
MCX64-V
and the
MCX6400-V

QFT. Swiftech is pretty aweome. I've got one on my Pentium 4 rig, and it has been nothing buy amazing. When you add the right fan to it, you get just about the best single CPU cooler money can buy.

Alternately, the CM Hyper 48 is pretty good. They keep my Opterons nice and cool. They are thermally controlled fans, and most of the time they operate at medium RPM's. I've never seen them kick into high, except during the first part of the post sequence. When you set them to run on full speed, they are capable of exceptional cooling, at the cost of being rather noisy.

For the noise and size factor, I don't think there is an air cooler out there that beats a good heatpipe cooler. It is simple thermodynamics....

TheRapture said:
For the noise and size factor, I don't think there is an air cooler out there that beats a good heatpipe cooler. It is simple thermodynamics....

The CM Hyper 48 is a heatpipe cooler. I've got two in my box now cooling 2.8GHz Opteron 254's. My temps are around 36c idle and 46 or so under load.

The MCX64-V and MCX6400-V are definitely "Must Have [Hardware]" for the enthusiast Athlon64/FX crowd

Normal users who do mild overclocking or prefer low temps AND low noise, the MCX64-V is the heatsink for you. Serious overclockers and enthusiasts will prefer the MCX6400-V coupled with the fan of their choice. The MCX6400-V is the first heatsink we have seem in a long time that could handle anything you could throw at it and I say that with confidence. If we know Swiftech like we think we do, we wouldn’t be surprised to see a Peltier version of this heatsink in the near future -Steve Lynch

pairdice said:
The MCX64-V and MCX6400-V are definitely "Must Have [Hardware]" for the enthusiast Athlon64/FX crowd

Normal users who do mild overclocking or prefer low temps AND low noise, the MCX64-V is the heatsink for you. Serious overclockers and enthusiasts will prefer the MCX6400-V coupled with the fan of their choice. The MCX6400-V is the first heatsink we have seem in a long time that could handle anything you could throw at it and I say that with confidence. If we know Swiftech like we think we do, we wouldn’t be surprised to see a Peltier version of this heatsink in the near future -Steve Lynch
thermalright rapes the MCX6400-V, its not up to newer heatsinks, infact i think it was even had by that old SP94/97

I have an sp-94 and its fine...lol but man just get si-120 forget swiftech and all other companys thermalright OWNZ

agreed. im gonna hafta bring in a picture soon if it doesnt clean up.

listen to the ozzimark...hes wise beyond his years.

throat.sized.jpg

CCUABIDExORxDIE the XP-120 is only better than the XP-120 by 0.5degrees approximately. And anyway that link you gave only shows XP-90 and XP-90c there is no mention of XP-120 or SI-120 so get your facts straight. But i do agree with you that the scythe shogun is better but its also MASSIVE in comparison and you have to have a lot of space. So all in all the SI-120 would be the most practical choice

coolkishan said:
CCUABIDExORxDIE the XP-120 is only better than the XP-120 by 0.5degrees approximately. And anyway that link you gave only shows XP-90 and XP-90c there is no mention of XP-120 or SI-120 so get your facts straight. But i do agree with you that the scythe shogun is better but its also MASSIVE in comparison and you have to have a lot of space. So all in all the SI-120 would be the most practical choice

you bring up good points, but think about this, say your case isnt too wide, with the side panel on, assuming you have a window, the SI-120's height no longer becomes an advantage, its a disadvantage, as it puts the fan so close to the window that it is starved for air. and if you read the WHOLE review the 3rd and 2nd to last pages have a line up of all the coolers, barring the Big Typhoon and SI-120. there is an XP120, there is the Sonic Tower, there is the Scythe Ninja and a whole plethora of other hsf's. so get your facts straight...and read everything i link you to.

Back