Looking to get a new case, need suggestions

Strykar

Limp Gawd
My current is a Ultra Dragon and it's a little louder than I'd like. I want to make the move to 120mm, currently have 3 vantec stealth in the case which aren't too big of an issue though.

The case is just.. bland and incredibly heavy. I can get over the weight issue if the replacement is very quiet though.

Main issue being, I have an X-Fi platinum and need to be able to use the remote with the new case without it looking horrible in the meantime

I really wanted a P180, but hate how they look with the door open, love them with it closed.. too bad the remote's IR signal can't go through the door (or can it?)

Cases I'm considering: (feel free to throw in some recommendations, critique :) )

Thermaltake Armor

Gigabyte Aurora

Lian Li PC-7 B+

And for funsies, the P180 I was considering.

TIA guys!

Wonder how much shipping would be on your old case, probably so heavy it wouldn't be worth it. What color is it? I could be interested, where do you live also? I know this isn't fs/wtb forum, just wondering.

I have a Thermaltake Armor. Heres a small rundown..
First off, its very roomy, lots of space to put stuff. The front supports 3 120 fans, if you have the room. I'm currently running 2 120mm fans in the front, not enough room for a 3rd. You'll have to buy another iCage (around 25 dollars I think) to properly get another 120mm in there, or you can probably rig up some sort of ghetto mod yourself. Theres a lot of room behind the mobo tray as well, for whatever wires you feel like hiding. The back supports a 120mm fan, and a 92mm fan. The PSU mounted sideways is a little weird, but I personally like it. Theres also a blowhole fan thats a 92mm.

I do have three major problems with this case though:
- I couldnt really get the magic of the toolless PCI thing to work, so I just unscrewed it and took it out. Id rather have stuff screwed in rather than rely on a plastic snap in thing.
- I'm using the bottom hard drive cage for 3 hard drives, and taking it out proved to be a pain in the ass. I have a 7800gtx, and since the video card basically spans the entire motherboard, I ended up having to remove the video card to get the HDD cage in and out.
- The front little flaps are stupid. They just swing about, and mine squeak. They arent on any kind of door mechanism, just two big flaps on hinges. I really want to just unscrew them and take them out.

Overall I think its a fine case, it has some great airflow. The front mesh things have dust filters in them, which is great for me because my room is really dusty... anyway, good luck with your purchase, whatever you choose ;D

I like the Lian Li v1000/1200/2000 series cases :p but there a little more than what you put there :p

id say aurora or armor out of those :)

travis712 said:
Wonder how much shipping would be on your old case, probably so heavy it wouldn't be worth it. What color is it? I could be interested, where do you live also? I know this isn't fs/wtb forum, just wondering.

It's black like in the link and I live in NC.

Normally i would say the P180. But since you are concerned about weight i would say the LianLi case.

also have you looked into a Antec P150? Although i dont think your Xfi will match it though

Weight isn't as much of an issue as how horrible I think the P180 look with their door open.. I love them with it closed. I'm way too picky I guess :( P150 is too bland for my taste and It needs to be black.

Back