Looking to fire up F@H rig

Avalanche

Pendleton - Learn It, Live It, Know It
So I've got an old box with a Q6600 and two 8800GT cards. Both cards are shot, so I was looking at possibly putting a couple 500 series cards in it. I've been out of the game for so long that I don't know what PPD output for any of these cards are. I know that the GTX 460 was the bang for the buck card way back when I stopped, but I'm going to try for more as well as use the box to heat the room it will be in (heh).

Any suggestions for a 500 series card? If I recall, the 460 did about 9-10K when OCed. Is there a similar bang for the buck 500 series card?

Why no ATI?

Based on the research I've been doing, nVidia currently has the PPD/Watt advantage, as well as a PPD overall versus the ATI counterpart. Some are suggesting the 560Ti as the sweet spot right now. Any input?

Find some cheap used 480s on the FS/FT forum if you want heat and good ppd per card.

560Ti is the sweet spot but prices are still highish. You could go with what dookey said and get a couple of 480's but they are hot and power hungry. An alternative would be to try and score a couple of 460's (not the SE version), if you crank the shaders a little you will get nearly 11k per card

460's are still a nice choice, price is good too on used models

You should be able to find 768mb versions for under $100 each.

Also come summer you won't hate life with running them compared to many other options.

Hmm. I'll have to research prices on the 460s. Will there be a difference in PPD output in models with more VRAM?

Also, what is the average PPD for a 560Ti?

No, the vram will not increase the PPD. With a 560 ti, you can expect to see about 16k PPD.

My 460 SE's (768MB) pull 11k PPD. Clocks are 825/1650/1900 as set by eVGA Precision.

GTX 470s would be a good choice if you can handle the power requirements. I picked up both of mine for pretty cheap prices months ago, and they'll do 14-15k PPD each depending on the overclock.

Ended up with a good deal on 2 560Ti cards. Should be good to go now. Thanks for the input guys.

Back