Looking to create a new Ryzen Mini ITX build

atarumoroboshi18

Limp Gawd
Hello, I've been an Intel guy for a while and I was hoping to get your guys recommendations regarding a new Ryzen (Possibly 2600[x]/2700[x]) build in a Mini ITX case. I've got a case selected(Thermaltake Core V1 SPCC Mini ITX Cube Gaming Computer Case Chassis) and a few components on hand to add to build(1060 6GB Geforce, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, and a spare M.2 drive). What are your recommendations for a great Mini ITX mobo and other parts? I've got about a ~$400 budget for this new build, what are some good boards?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have done multiple builds with the Asrock B450 itx and have had no issues with 1400s 2400s,1600s and 2600 cpus. My Daughters PC is built around it and runs great.

I just rebuilt my secondary box around the Gigabyte Aorus B450 with a 3600. Liking that one too.

Both boards run GSkill Ripjaw V ram 3200 c16 kits fine. One 1600 I had would only do 2933. This is affordable ram too.

I have B Die 3200 c14 that also runs on both at XMP if the cpu can do it. The boards certainly can.

Suggest sticking with 65w cpus in the V1 as well as adding two 80mm fans in exhaust for the rear. It’s a decent case for the money and fairly small. The ability to use a regular ATX PSU is nice for reusing parts, downsizing a rig with just a board swap or just being generally cheaper than SFX PSUs. I’ve used it a couple of times for friends and no complaints from them. 👍

I think that all of the mITX B450 are likely fine and just as capable as anything else; it will really come down to which ones have the features you want.

The Asus ROG Strix board has 2 m.2 drives slots but if you use the slot on the back it will reduce your PCI-E slot to 8x. This is the board I currently have and it's fine but I hate the BIOS layout. The board layout is also kind of annoying (two of the SATA ports are to the left of the RAM slots and right above the PCI-E slot so if you need to use them you'll have SATA cables running over stuff.

The Asrock is the cheapest you'll find and reportedly a good board although the VRM cooling doesn't look great and the board itself is kind of cheap looking compared to the other boards.

The Gigabyte has a good look to it and a good amount of features and I generally like their BIOS setup; I'm considering returning the Asus board and picking up this one.

The MSI board has the best VRM setup according to Buildzoid. I've never had an MSI board though so I'm kind of wary of them and I know their early BIOS didn't support CPU voltage offset so the CPU was always running hot; I'm pretty sure that has been fixed now.

I have done multiple builds with the Asrock B450 itx and have had no issues with 1400s 2400s,1600s and 2600 cpus. My Daughters PC is built around it and runs great.

I just rebuilt my secondary box around the Gigabyte Aorus B450 with a 3600. Liking that one too.

Both boards run GSkill Ripjaw V ram 3200 c16 kits fine. One 1600 I had would only do 2933. This is affordable ram too.

I have B Die 3200 c14 that also runs on both at XMP if the cpu can do it. The boards certainly can.

Suggest sticking with 65w cpus in the V1 as well as adding two 80mm fans in exhaust for the rear. It’s a decent case for the money and fairly small. The ability to use a regular ATX PSU is nice for reusing parts, downsizing a rig with just a board swap or just being generally cheaper than SFX PSUs. I’ve used it a couple of times for friends and no complaints from them. 👍
I've got an ASRock b450 fatal1ty with a 1600 in a Silverstone cube with an AIO cooler and a fury nano. Haven't had any issues, thinking of upgrading soon to something like a 3600x or 3700x.

Hm, not really going for ultra powerful this time around. I'm attempting a small build with a reasonable budget. Normally, I'd get 1080s for the cards and 8700ks for the processors of my bigger power-hungry machines, but this time will be a small AMD setup. The Gigabyte mobo looks like a decent one. Any recommendations for PSUs? I'm a big Seasonic guy.

I built a similar system for my girlfriend using the ROG STRIX X470i Gaming. I also have the B450 version of it, which I would recommend as well. It's basically 99% as good and costs less.

Any recommendations for PSUs? I'm a big Seasonic guy.
The case you're using is actually pretty large and can take a full-sized ATX PSU so you don't need to stress over it too much. I like Corsair but if you like Seasonic just get one of their modular 450-600W ATX PSUs; Gold rated if it's in your budget but Bronze is fine too.

Got a coworker with a potential Ryzen 1600x he'd be willing to part with. Should I go for something like this or still go for the 2600 or higher?

I'd take a free/cheap 1600X any day over a 2600 costing more, partly since I'd replace the 2600 CPU cooler regardless. Performance should be similar. The 1600X might be slightly more finicky about memory, although I haven't seen that myself. (I have 4 Ryzen 1600 boxes and none of them had any kind of memory issues; I think I had to manually downclock by one notch on a couple of them get to memtest clean, but basically they all run at or near rated memory XMP speed.)

Oh yeah, biggest one. What's the best CPU cooler you guys would recommend? The CPU Cooler is always one of the toughest choices for me when it comes to building a new PC.

I like Cryorig M9a or for somewhat hotter CPU's, H7 but you can't find them at rational prices in the US unless you get lucky. I got mine mostly off ebay. I've had very good results with the small Thermalright (120 SBM) and the Macho series would work well. Scythe Mugen 5 is a great cooler, might be a bit overkill for a 2600 or 1600. Arctic Freezer 34 looks good but I've not used it personally. and there's Noctua of course but they are pricey.

It's not hard to find a good cooler unless you are very size or cash constrained.

Alright, getting these for the Mobo and the CPU Cooler:
Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI
Cryorig M9a

Last 2 items left to get is the CPU and the PSU.

I have a couple M9a's on (mildly) OC'ed 1600's and have been very impressed, blows the stock cooler into the outer darkness on both temps and noise. I see that they can be had at decent (under US$30) prices again, might snag one or two just on general principles to have around!

Alright. I've gone to the FS/FT and purchased a Seasonic 650RM and will be getting a 1600x for $100 from my coworker. All in all this was no where near as expensive as I was expecting and I've gone well under budget.

Edit: Oh yeah, thank you for all the advice, was very helpful!

Back