Looking to buy display for competitive gaming on Xbox 360

Loondog

n00b
I'm looking to buy a display solely to play games super-competitively on my Xbox 360 (mostly Halo 3). I'm a "pro gamer" with Major League Gaming. So my main concerns are zero input lag (or as close to it as possible) and 1:1 pixel mapping so that I can play Xbox 360 games as they are meant to be in 16:19, not 16:10. Then of course, low response time and ghosting/tearing are concerns. If I could find a display with zero input lag and 1:1 mapping, I'd be overjoyed. Does it exist? I know that LG recently released a monitor with arguably zero input lag, but it didn't seem to allow for 1:1 mapping. Your help is greatly appreciated.

How do you professional game on a console? The controls are so inaccurate. Anyways, only a TN panel will fit the bill for you. The BenQ G2400 only has 1 to 2 ms input lag. It also does 1:1 at native resolution at anything below 1920x1080.

How do you professional game on a console? The controls are so inaccurate. Anyways, only a TN panel will fit the bill for you. The BenQ G2400 only has 1 to 2 ms input lag. It also does 1:1 at native resolution at anything below 1920x1080.

The XBOX games compensate for the inaccuracys, when playing alot, it's very easy to get headshots. I've played over 1000 hours on Wolfenstein for the first gen xbox and had no problems with accuracy.

In any case, what is your budget and how big do you want your display?

The XBOX games compensate for the inaccuracys, when playing alot, it's very easy to get headshots. I've played over 1000 hours on Wolfenstein for the first gen xbox and had no problems with accuracy.

In any case, what is your budget and how big do you want your display?
True, compensation comes in the forms of auto-aim and magnetism. Major League Gaming
(http://mlgpro.com) is arguably the biggest thing in professional gaming right now along side the CGS. MLG is purely console gaming, while competitions like the CGS and WCG feature both PC and console gaming. So professional gaming is definitely not limited to computer gaming.

I'm willing to spend up to about $1000 if necessary, but ideally I wouldn't have to spend more than $600 or so. As far as size goes, 19" is minimum and 24" is probably the max. 22" or 24" is probably ideal, but again, input lag, 1:1 mapping and response time are my main concerns. HDMI input and full 1080p resolution would be plusses, but they are not necessities. Thanks for your responses guys.

If you're really competitive, your best bet is to pickup a used 24" Sony FW900 CRT. 22.5" viewable widescreen, 0ms input lag, 0ms response time, 1080P support, and no "native resolution" or pixel mapping to worry about.

I'm also a 'pro gamer' and have competed and placed at many pro events over the years (CPL, Quakecon, etc). I'm very sensitive to lag and response time and extremely picky with monitors. BTW since you mentioned you play Halo 3 professionally, here's a picture of my old Halo PC team holding our CPL check: http://www.teamdemise.com/images/demise_cplteam.jpg

If you're really competitive, your best bet is to pickup a used 24" Sony FW900 CRT. 22.5" viewable widescreen, 0ms input lag, 0ms response time, 1080P support, and no "native resolution" or pixel mapping to worry about.
I realize that a CRT is probably the best answer, but for now I'm trying to find the next best thing in an LCD panel. Are there any LCD's out there that have been accurately measured to have zero input lag?

So far the only such claims I've come across are in regards to the newly released LG L227WTG-PF.

just a question, why not go for an LCD tv? like one of those 32" Sharp Gaming LCDs. I think they run about $1100 on a good day, and they will look better for console games IMO...

Is there a lag problem with these types of LCDs?

just a question, why not go for an LCD tv? like one of those 32" Sharp Gaming LCDs. I think they run about $1100 on a good day, and they will look better for console games IMO...

Is there a lag problem with these types of LCDs?
LCD TV's have the same issues as LCD monitors with lag. However, I'd imagine the 32" Sharp Gaming LCD has minimized it. The problem is though that we usually play with 20-22" TV's on the MLG circuit.

The HP w2408h has no input lag. There are review to prove it. I can't notice any ghosting. It has an HDMI and VGA input and 1:1 scaling as well as built in speakers (but you are using surround sound, right?).

Prad Review

There are a few LCD's that have zero input lag. They are 22" TN's.

There are a few LCD's that have zero input lag. They are 22" TN's.
Has anyone compiled a list of these anywhere? I've only been able to find one so far, the new LG L227WTG-PF. If there's no list anywhere, are there any other specific models you know of?

And yes, speakers are unimportant, as I'll be using headphones at all times.

I haven't seen a real review yet but the Samsung 2253BW seems to fit

Has anyone compiled a list of these anywhere? I've only been able to find one so far, the new LG L227WTG-PF. If there's no list anywhere, are there any other specific models you know of?

And yes, speakers are unimportant, as I'll be using headphones at all times.

I'd be quite surprised if these LCDs truly have "zero" input lag. I think a certain amount of that is inherent in the technology. That said, most TN panels have what is more accurately referred to as "negligible" input lag, and you'll probably want to focus on one of those.

TN panels generally speaking have <12ms input lag, the Samsung 22-inchers I believe average around 6ms. This is in stark contrast to some of the PVA panels out there that go up to 60-80ms. Of course you're then dealing with poor color reproduction, but if you are serious about absolutely minimal input lag, TN is really the only choice. S-IPS monitors generally have much less input lag than PVA but more than TN.

Back