Looking to buy an 'Ultrabook' type laptop, need advice!

diesiel

Limp Gawd
There are so many options it gets a little frustrating trying to pick one.

The specs i'm interested in are as follows

- At least an i5 Processor

- At least 128 gigs of ssd

- 6 gigs of ram

- 13.3 inch screen

- Good build quality (wont break within a couple months)

- Good battery life

- Good screen

- If possible, semi decent sound quality

Any suggestions?

price range up to 1000 i guess, even willing to buy used as long as condition is good.

Weight i havent put too much thought into, im okay with a medium weight if its nessissary

you're pretty much describing a MB air or pro.

i don't see a lot of good-build-quality cheap ultrabooks.

There's a lot of options in this price range. There's going to be a lot of new machines coming out with Windows 8. Not trying to push Windows 8 on you but with it only about 6 weeks away I'd hold off and see if there's something their that might tickle your fancy. You should be able to downgrade to Windows 7 is 8 is not to you're liking. I'm just saying that it might be worth your while to see what's all going to be available in the near future unless you're in a rush.

I'm not a fan of windows 8 so i'll be using a windows 7 lappy. Id rather get it sooner than later, though. Any concrete suggestions?

Dell has the XPS 13 which looks like it might fit your needs. Asus has a couple Zenbooks as well. Those are the two I'm most familiar with and shouldn't cause you any headaches.

To be honest I don't think you'll find anything better than a 13 inch MBA, the keyboard/trackpad are just way better than Windows ultrabooks and it's probably the only Apple product which is good value for money when compared to the alternatives (especially when you take into account resale value).

You may be able to find the previous generation of Asus Zenbook for around 800-900. I like it a lot more than the MBA.

I'll echo the other posters: Zenbook Prime UX31A-R5102F
The downfall of the Zenbook is the non-upgradeable anything. You get 4GB RAM and whatever SSD they put in it, and that's it.

There's also the UX32VD Zenbook, with upgradeable RAM and HDD...but only the top UX32VD model comes with a 1080p screen, the lesser models are all 1366x768, and the top model costs ~$1300 before you start upgrading things.

Maybe also consider the Thinkpad X230. It's not a true ultrabook by intel's definition, but I think it has a strong feature set for the price.
For $700 from Lenovo's Barnes & Noble site:
12.5" IPS screen w/Premium panel upgrade
i5-3210m
4GB RAM - Add more yourself, RAM is cheap, unless you're buying it from a computer maker.
320GB HDD - Remove this, replace with SSD of your choice, SSD upgrades are overpriced from the manufacturer.
<3lbs, .75" thick
Thinkpad quality and keyboard

I'll echo the other posters: Zenbook Prime UX31A-R5102F
The downfall of the Zenbook is the non-upgradeable anything. You get 4GB RAM and whatever SSD they put in it, and that's it.

There's also the UX32VD Zenbook, with upgradeable RAM and HDD...but only the top UX32VD model comes with a 1080p screen, the lesser models are all 1366x768, and the top model costs ~$1300 before you start upgrading things.

Maybe also consider the Thinkpad X230. It's not a true ultrabook by intel's definition, but I think it has a strong feature set for the price.
For $700 from Lenovo's Barnes & Noble site:
12.5" IPS screen w/Premium panel upgrade
i5-3210m
4GB RAM - Add more yourself, RAM is cheap, unless you're buying it from a computer maker.
320GB HDD - Remove this, replace with SSD of your choice, SSD upgrades are overpriced from the manufacturer.
<3lbs, .75" thick
Thinkpad quality and keyboard

This really isn't a good reccomendation anymore. Thinkpads were once good but far from it now. Im not talking about the keyboard, but the build quality. It is much worse on their last two lines, just do a quick google search to reveal a plethora of problems with them. They went from absurdly good build quality, to borderline scams in some cases.

I almost bought it as well. I'd go for MBA if you really want a laptop of those specs, but I sold mine and got a quite impressive acer 11.6" netbook/ultrabook for school since I already have a powerful desktop and don't need a $1300+ laptop.

This really isn't a good reccomendation anymore. Thinkpads were once good but far from it now. Im not talking about the keyboard, but the build quality. It is much worse on their last two lines, just do a quick google search to reveal a plethora of problems with them. They went from absurdly good build quality, to borderline scams in some cases.

I almost bought it as well. I'd go for MBA if you really want a laptop of those specs, but I sold mine and got a quite impressive acer 11.6" netbook/ultrabook for school since I already have a powerful desktop and don't need a $1300+ laptop.

How about instead of suggesting I "do a quick google search", you list out some specific issues?

Because my "quick google search" on "thinkpad x230 build quality" reveals:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6477&review=lenovo+thinkpad+x230
Build and Design

At first glance, the ThinkPad X230 has only a few minor changes from the X220. The location of several ports has been shuffled around, but you've still got the same tried and true boxy design combined with durable magnesium alloy and plastic construction covered in matte black rubberized paint. Lenovo continues to provide essentially a full-size keyboard on a 12-inch ultraportable notebook, but that larger keyboard comes at the expense of space for the palm rests. Although typing is very comfortable on the X230, your wrists don't have abundant space with your fingers in the traditional typing position.

The X230 continues Lenovo's trend of "business rugged" laptops even with its Lilliputian proportions. This ThinkPad is Milspec tested (physical shock, thermal shock, altitude, dust, vibration, humidity, heat and cold) for proven durability. Bottom line: you can toss the X230 in your car or let the flight attendant jam it into an overhead compartment without worrying something will break. Like most ThinkPads, the X230 will take the beating and keep working.

Maybe the first result wasn't what you meant?
http://www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-reviews/lenovo-thinkpad-x230-review/
The ThinkPad X230 is classic Lenovo – matte black, basic, rugged. There’s nothing about it that’s striking besides the size of the laptop. The 12.5-inch display implies that this laptop is not going to be large, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. Because of its thin display bezels and small chassis the ThinkPad X230 is hard to distinguish from most 11.6-inch and 12.1-inch laptops with a glance.

Handling the laptop reveals typical ThinkPad quality. The metal display hinges are firm and don’t allow for display wobble. Keyboard flex is virtually non-existent, and the palmrest area is as solid as marble tile. The only potential disappointment is the lack of a lid latch, a feature found in some ThinkPads.

Don’t look at the X230 with the impression that this is an Ultrabook. It’s not. There are Ultrabooks that are thinner and lighter, but don’t offer the same level of quality as the X230. The X-series is still a unique product. There’s no other laptop of similar size that offers equivalent build quality.

Hmm. Well, certainly the third result from our quick google search will suss out the truly terrible build quality you've alleged...It's even titled blasphemy!
http://pcper.com/reviews/Mobile/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Review-Blasphemy
Lenovo may have changed the keyboard but, in all other respects, the X230 is not a departure from traditional ThinkPad aesthetics. It’s a matte black slab with no ornamentation besides a small chrome Lenovo logo on the lid and another small matte-silver ThinkPad logo opposite.

Though smaller and lighter than most laptops on the market, including many ultrabooks, the X230 does not take part in the thin-wedge fad that has taken over the market. It’s a blocky piece of kit that’s about as thick at the front as at the rear, though the first inch of the chassis does taper slightly to provide the user’s hand a place to grip the laptop when it’s laying on a flat surface. Even the standard six-cell battery, which we received with our review unit, bulges slightly from the bottom of the laptop. The larger nine-cell also extends from the rear.

I was somewhat disappointed to find that the X230 does not include a latch (the T420 did) but the X220 also lacked this feature. This minor quibble aside, build quality is what users have come to expect from the brand. The chassis does not flex, the display is among the most rigid available and the hinges keep the display firmly in whatever position you place it (which also makes the laptop hard to open with one hand).
Strike three for the guy who is impressed by an Acer.

How about instead of suggesting I "do a quick google search", you list out some specific issues?

Because my "quick google search" on "thinkpad x230 build quality" reveals:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6477&review=lenovo+thinkpad+x230

Maybe the first result wasn't what you meant?
http://www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-reviews/lenovo-thinkpad-x230-review/

Hmm. Well, certainly the third result from our quick google search will suss out the truly terrible build quality you've alleged...It's even titled blasphemy!
http://pcper.com/reviews/Mobile/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Review-Blasphemy

I agree, frowning on Thinkpad build quality while touting Acer's is an oxymoron.

Typing this up on a Thinkpad X220. 3.5lbs, full 35W processor, upgradeable components, HDD can be hot swapped, very good IPS matte screen and 13 hours of life with the 9-cell battery.

I took the laptop apart over the weekend to slap in a Crucial M4 mSATA. It's definitely a very quality build. The keyboard is extraordinary, the trackpoint is awesome and the laptop is as sturdy as a rock. There is an aluminum sheet behind the keyboard that acts to stiffen it as well as providing drains so when you spill something on your laptop it won't fry but drain to the bottom through little outlets. The only flex I've seen is by the ThinkVantage button but that's nothing to worry about as you never press it anyway :p There was a good and even spread of TIM on the HSF and even at full load it doesn't get that loud unlike Ultrabooks which all throttle and most sound like jet airplanes.

The only issue I have with this laptop is that the trackpad isn't great. It's kind of cramped. Thankfully the trackpoint is awesome and I prefer it over a trackpad anyway (multi-gesture support is a windows 7 issue and not a manufacturer one)

It's thicker than an Ultrabook but it weighs just as much or less than many Ultrabooks, provides a better quality screen, wayyyyy better keyboard, way better battery life and you get to upgrade your own components and it's cheaper. Buy the Thinkpad, It's just a fantastic laptop

- I can confirm the overall build quality. It is superb. I can only open the lid with one hand because the 9-cell battery keeps the laptop from flipping over but if you've got a 6-cell battery it certainly would. The hinges are super sturdy and made of steel. You need 1 hand to lift the lid and one to hold the laptop in place. The metal sheet beneath the keyboard is very strong and I can't force it to bend even if I tried. The palmrest area doesn't get hot and beneath it are housed the expresscard slot on the left (which you can set up as an external GPU if you want to use this as your gaming machine). The expresscard slot is also encased in a metal casing that doesn't contort or bend and provides support for the handrest. On the right side are the mSATA and WiFi cards. They fit is tight and they provide you with an extra screw in case you didn't purchase a WWAN or mSATA card.

I haven't taken the screen apart yet but the torsion is minimal. The colors are vibrant and the screen gets very bright at 15/15 setting. Viewing angles are typical IPS. The screen can be tilted back 180 degrees so using the laptop in bed is a dream. There is no uncomfortable position, and with the low weight and IPS display you're not going to find yourself constantly readjusting because it's heavy or you can't find the perfect tilt or angle.

The hot swap HDD is awesome. You can take it out, put it in your PC and throw your movies on there then put the HDD back. It's secured by a lock on the bottom of the laptop and a screw that holds a small flap over it. They fitted the HDD casing with a pull-out tab so it's easier to remove as well. The sides of the HDD bay are rubberized and it also has a rubber backing to reduce any sort of potential damage from a fall. The top of the lid has a rubberized finish as well making it easier to grasp and less likely to fall out of your hands. Really, even if it does you're not going to be worried that it's dead. It's more likely to survive a fall than almost any laptop on the market.

What the hell is the person above smoking? Poor build quality? Say what?

One more thing: it's beautiful looking. I was a bit hesitant because the pictures weren't doing it any justice. It looked bland and thick and kind of ugly but I figured that for the money I'm getting more processing power, a better screen, and better battery life for cheaper than most Ultrabooks. I was looking for something portable and durable that I can use everyday and I was leaning towards a couple Ultrabooks -- namely the U410, XPS 13 and the Acer TimelineU. The X220 is lighter than all but the XPS13, offers a better processor and a better screen than all of those. On top of that the build quality was superb so I figured I'd go for the Thinkpad despite it being "ugly." Boy was I wrong. It's beautiful to look at. Very minimal design, black and sleek. I have the 9-cell that juts out at the back and raises the laptop up a bit (definitely recommend it) but it's still very thin. I have to say, I now actually prefer the look of the Thinkpads to most other laptops on the market. Understated and it just makes sense. Nothing flashy, nothing showy.

Last edited:
wow, just checked back on this thread and saw tonnes of new posts.

thanks alot for the info guys, ill be reading over it now

I love when people just read into the glowing reviews about the ThinkPad, no better than an Apple fanboy. Learn to use Google. 90% of these people who review this laptop just go with the same ignorant thinking you people have that let Lenovo get away with this shit:

I've seen people have complaints some parts are loose, wiggle, stuck instead of the known rock-solid build quality of Thinkpads..

the led cover being loose is a big issue, as is the fact that the computer appeared not to rest flat on a flat surface (assuming that user's flat surface is actually flat).

I received my x230 today and it has three issues:
Left mouse button makes noise as if there is something crinkly behind it (similar to the noise if you wad up tissue paper or wax paper). Sometimes it's just a pop (like popping bubble wrap but not nearly as loud). It sometimes eventually stops, but then returns after using the right button or not using the left button for awhile.
One stuck pixel so there is a white dot just to left of center on the screen (12.5" Premium HD display). Too bad it's not on the edge where I can ignore it.
Windows 7 Professional: Windows Update fails to update all items finishing with an error and rolling back the applied hotfixes and finally it froze updating windows from one of the successful patches. This can be resolved but after #1 and #2 I decided to not try.

I just received two new X230's. One of them exhibits the left mouse clicking noise which you describe. I might have that's just the way it was, but since I had the other system to compare it to I realized it wasn't. Like you, I'm disappointed with the quality and this is not my frist issue with sloppy Lenovo quality - I posted on the forums a few months ago about a bad keyboard I received on a T420s

I purchased my Lenovo x220i about 3 days ago and found several problems (of course I didn't damage, drop it, or whatever):

a) the HDD symbol on the screen bezel is not printed clearly
b) the screen bezel starts separating from LCD
c) the lid is not really straight.

Hi. After much saving up and research I bought a top-of-the-range x220 four months ago in the US ($1,200). A couple of days ago a crack (see picture) appeared in the casing on the right side. Now, I can state with absolute confidence that the laptop has never been misused, dropped, bumped, or anything like that. I also have a super-padded crumpler laptop bag for it when I take it anywhere.

I have the same experience as TotalityNZ. The base is sturdy enough (minus the palm rest, NEVER raise it holding it on expressport side, it could break.), but the lid is a pure joke.
The keyboard and touchpad wear VERY fast too. Shiny spots appeared after a mere 2 months of light typing and taking care of it. Even on cheap laptops, I've never seen such a fast wear, let alone HP business and its durakeys. The battery is solid once locked, but it does still wobble.

Overall, like you, I am very disappointed by the x220 build quality, and reports of the opposit baffles me. I don't know if they ever used a real ibm thinkpad before, if they are fanboys or if there's really a difference in quality between different batches...

1. After using my new Thinkpad X230 for a couple of weeks, one of the keys broke and came off from the keyboard (under normal usage). I could clip it back on but it still keeps coming off. Super annoying and it's new!

Update: I've just lost another key! Please note that my typing habits are completely normal and I've never had issues before with any keyboard (I've used a lot).

After four months my x220 developed a crack in the "rugged" housing. I've also been having a nightmare getting warranty service. I've been at it since 1 February and still they are trying to blame the crack on me even though they have found no evidence (they checked it at their lab).

Nice "durable magnesium alloy and plastic construction"

Also the build is generally tacky. The screen bezel was a bit warped from day 1, ie. not flush with the screen at the bottom. The non-slip black paint comes off quickly and the stickers are skew in a few places. I ignored these issues but the crack was the limit.

Look at the reviews on the native lenovo.com page and you'll see that this laptop has sub par build quality to previous generations and that the new keyboard design is being poorly received by those who are used to a standard that Thinkpad's have held the better part of a decade.

Literally dozens and dozens of more issues, and more widespread ones too (like white marks appearing on the 'premium' IPS screen, top part of lid coming off, etc.) All that with Lenovo's abysmal customer service. Btw, these aren't just one case issues, I've seen many of these complaints MULTIPLE times.

re: "the guy who loves Acer", they actually have improved significantly recently. And even if they didn't, this model I have right here completely trumps the build quality of both the x220, x230 and recent ThinkPads that I've tried & returned. Says something about Lenovo when Acer (lolol so bad) can beat it in build quality.

So much for the military grade, learn to use Google next time. I didn't even scratch the surface for the plethora of problems.

I agree, frowning on Thinkpad build quality while touting Acer's is an oxymoron.

See above. Too much poor blind consumerist posts in this thread.

Last edited:
Adrenaline, they sell loads of Thinkpads every year. In fact, they're one of the only laptop manufacturers that's actually selling more this year than last year while nearly all the others are selling fewer numbers. Do you really think that if they had serious issues with reliability they'd be doing that well? HP has reliability issues, not Lenovo Thinkpads.

Secondly, you can google search issues with any consumer product and find poor reviews. Apparently Porsche can't build a proper car, the Zenbook sucks, and seemingly the Dell Ultrasharp is a horrible monitor. Of course, none of these things are true but because they affect a small population of consumers with said product they must be, right?

You're talking out of your poophole. The only thing you've mentioned that has any truth in it is that Acer's build quality has improved. It has improved but as far as quality laptops go, the X230/X220 are still on top of the pile. They're still the #1 favored business laptop and they still receive raving reviews.

Honestly, go check even their own forums. Their own fans think and know that the latest generations have decreased in quality a lot, something to do with selling to a chinese company a few years back I think. I've also seen this first hand, dealing with a T61 and a X220/X230. It's a lot different. Like I said, I can find a LOT more problems, and even more disgusting ones that aren't acceptable. Their own loyal fans are switching to the MBP line because of the poor quality recently.

There's a huge thread on notebookreviews, and 90% of them have a problem where the computer isn't stable on all 4 feet, instead it wobbles on 3, ONE example out of the many. Never heard of that on a laptop this expensive and that common. Don't even look at the tablet version of the X230, the cheap and poor quality is astounding. I don't know how my previous post wasn't enough to show you that it isn't just a small % having problems, like I said - I've seen a LOT of those problems multiple times. Getting a crack in the chassis is one of the more common ones, how is that acceptable? I can hold a regular laptop that way and not get a crack, and that's just "cheap plastic".

I also don't think these are small issues when I picked up both these models to try out and a lot of the issues were on the laptops I used. How is that not widespread? I honestly wanted to get an X220, it seemed like the perfect laptop as I didn't want my MBA anymore, but the quality isn't there anymore. Making excuses is just enabling Lenovo to make shitty products.

Last edited:
Honestly, go check even their own forums. Their own fans think and know that the latest generations have decreased in quality a lot, something to do with selling to a chinese company a few years back I think. I've also seen this first hand, dealing with a T61 and a X220/X230. It's a lot different. Like I said, I can find a LOT more problems, and even more disgusting ones that aren't acceptable. Their own loyal fans are switching to the MBP line because of the poor quality recently.

There's a huge thread on notebookreviews, and 90% of them have a problem where the computer isn't stable on all 4 feet, instead it wobbles on 3, ONE example out of the many. Never heard of that on a laptop this expensive and that common. Don't even look at the tablet version of the X230, the cheap and poor quality is astounding. I don't know how my previous post wasn't enough to show you that it isn't just a small % having problems, like I said - I've seen a LOT of those problems multiple times.

I also don't think these are small issues when I picked up both these models to try out and a lot of the issues were on the laptops I used. How is that not widespread? I honestly wanted to get an X220, it seemed like the perfect laptop as I didn't want my Mac anymore, but the quality isn't there anymore. Making excuses is just enabling Lenovo to make shitty products.

What the hell are you talking about?

Here are some actual reviews by people who own the product
http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/668524-x230-t-owners-thread.html
http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/568751-thinkpad-x220-i-t-owners-thread.html

And nearly all of the reviews were overwhelmingly positive, receiving recommended buy notations.

Like I said, you can find reviews about any product and spin it into a negative but you can't shake the fact that the overwhelmingly majority of reviews are positive. And I'd take a Thinkpad over any Apple laptop. If you can point out a laptop in its price range that has a reinforced frame (remember I own the product and I've taken it apart and seen it for myself), great screen, small and light with great battery life and a proven track record then please let me know, otherwise quit spreading FUD.

If you think businesses would buy thousands of these at a time because of their poor build quality then you must be clinically insane.

I don't doubt there could possibly be some good batches out of very many bad ones, or just people not looking for problems because they automatically think it's "thinkpad" which is what Lenovo wants.

There's nothing more I can say, a reinforced frame that cracks with ease, breaks apart easily and paint rubbing off, a great screen that develops white marks on the screen (very common) and has ghosting (x220), etc.

If you honestly think this is just another case of 'picking out' the negative reviews, that is sad. I accumulated those problems within 5 minutes in the 2nd post. I really just don't care anymore though, it's not my loss.

There's nothing more I can say, a reinforced frame that cracks with ease,

It doesn't crack with ease. I opened it up myself and tested it. The frame actually sits behind the keyboard and nearly all the reviews I've ever read regarding the product have claimed that it doesn't just have a great keyboard with no flex but perhaps the best keyboard on a laptop of its size ever...

breaks apart easily and paint rubbing off, a great screen that develops white marks on the screen (very common) and has ghosting (x220), etc.

And you're ignoring all of the professional reviews and the user reviews that state it's a fantastic screen with no ghosting.

You're picking out bad apples with worms and claiming they all have worms. This also coming from a guy who buys an MBA when Apple has recently slipped in its reliability rating behind Asus and Toshiba? You're opinion isn't just worthless, it's below that.

- business don't buy thousands of laptops prone to failure. Time is money and reliability ranks above all else. A broken laptop is an employee that can't get his/her work done.

My MBA, while I had it briefly, had a lot better build quality - not taking into fact the aluminum vs plastic durability. I got rid of it for other reasons.

Difference is, I look for what is best without any brand loyalty, unlike you. Ignorant people like you is what lets Lenovo do this.. just keep on makin' excuses ;)

If you read the post on the last page you'd notice that this is my first Thinkpad. I've had Acers, HPs, Dells, Gateways and just this year a Toshiba. My sister owns a new MBA. I buy a new laptop every year or two then give away or sell the old one. This thing is easily the best I've ever owned.

Secondly, aluminum frame doesn't mean it's strong and sturdy. The Toshiba Z835, while a spiffy little Ultrabook, would bend and the screen would crack due to the thin and warping aluminum. Ultrabooks also offer 17W TDP processors that throttle under load and can't hit their peak turbo for more than a millisecond, have a whining fan noise due to the cramped interior and thin intake and exhaust and don't offer swappable parts due to proprietary SSDs, soldered RAM and soldered CPUs (all of the CPUs are soldered to the PCB in MBAs and all Ultrabooks. It's part of the socket/platform). The battery life in a given Ultrabook is also poorer than a full-fledged laptop despite the lower wattage CPU and the MBA is no exception. Non-swappable battery (Li-Polymer too, might I add, so it's more expensive if you do want it replaced) and cramped surroundings means lower battery life.

That is why I said "not taking into the fact" - any plastic laptop will win in a fall compared to aluminum. But the craftsmanship was a lot better than the thinkpad I had.

That is why I said "not taking into the fact" - any plastic laptop will win in a fall compared to aluminum. But the craftsmanship was a lot better than the thinkpad I had.

So it's not more rugged or durable and wouldn't survive a fall like a Thinkpad would. Not exactly a startling revelation...

But the craftsmanship was a lot better than the thinkpad I had

Just because it's shiny doesn't mean it's better built.

So sad. It's okay man, another laptop can be better than yours in areas.

I agree with your ultrabook comments, it is why I sold mine. Tha being said, I don't want to take anymore chances on thinkpad to see if I get a good one, who'd want to with their 15% restocking fee?

Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself, and I don't expect I'll be dropping my laptops, like I never have in the 6+ years that I've had one. Thus, the MBA was a lot better than thinkpad everywhere else. I also wouldnt be surprised if the thinkpad cracked upon falling more than an older acer these days.

You should let the masses of people who buy and are buying Thinkpads over Acers know. They'd want to hear some of the rather enlightening things you've managed to pull out of your butt.

Will do, after all they're deluded by the constant unwarranted praise from fanboys like you. :D

Will do, after all they're deluded by the constant unwarranted praise from fanboys like you. :D

True.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6056&review=lenovo+thinkpad+x220
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/18/lenovo-thinkpad-x220-review/
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-x220.aspx
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/1/3055686/lenovo-thinkpad-x230-review
http://pcper.com/reviews/Mobile/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Review-Beauty-And-Blasphemy/Conclusion
The rest of the laptop is simply excellent. Lenovo&#8217;s ThinkPads have always impressed me, but the X230 goes a step further. It&#8217;s the best ThinkPad I&#8217;ve ever used and, by extension, one of the best laptop&#8217;s I&#8217;ve experienced.
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230.htm
Last year, the ThinkPad X220 won our Editor's Choice award, and it passes the crown on to the new ThinkPad X230. Yes, there are thinner and sexier looking ultraportables, but none pack the processing power, IPS display and that unbeatable keyboard.

But there's the off-chance that random internet man knows more than people who review laptops and gadgets for a living...

I've had several ThinkPads over the years and overall they have treated me well. I currently have an x220t convertible tablet that is currently my main personal laptop that I've had since June 2011 and it's been a great machine. The build quality is solid, I did drop it once and the left corner at the bottom chipped a bit, nothing a little super glue could fix though of course the damage is visible, and there's some fading of the black paint on the side of the screen. But I've lugged this this around a lot over the last year and so wear and tear was going to happen.

So it's been rugged, the biggest issue for me with it has been some inaccuracy of the pen around the edges but that was mostly fixed with a firmware update. The track pad isn't the best in Windows 7 (in Windows 8 the track pad is actually quite a bit better I think with some support for gestures) but the keyboard is fantastic. They went with a chicklet style on the x230 for some reason, I have no idea why Lenovo wanted to mess with such and awesome keyboard but I hear that it's about as good and now is backlighted.

I think that overall people have been very happy with the x220 and x220t and the x230 and x230t have received very good reviews. If you think ThinkPads are iffy, that's fine but I simply don't see that being the consensus view of them.

Seriously, I would love to get a good x230 or better yet x220. But I've tried both already random pick and they both had some serious issues. Ive also seen many many users saying thinkpads weren't what they once were and have many build quality problems nowadays.

Blind fanboyism isn't going to fix it, there is obviously an issue here that I've seen both first hand and through many users. It also shouldn't be inconceivable to realize Lenovo could send a better batch of built laptops to popular review sites.

Seriously, I would love to get a good x230 or better yet x220. But I've tried both already random pick and they both had some serious issues. Ive also seen many many users saying thinkpads weren't what they once were and have many build quality problems nowadays.

Blind fanboyism isn't going to fix it, there is obviously an issue here that I've seen both first hand and through many users. It also shouldn't be inconceivable to realize Lenovo could send a better batch of built laptops to popular review sites.

So what serious issues did you have? I'm not being a blind fanboy, I simply reported what my experience has been with the x220t and plenty of people have had good experiences with this particular device.

I wasn't referring to you, I found your post quite informative. On both x230 and 220, it wouldnt sit flat on the desk, one of the keys were coming off, the coating was peeling, I could see a clear space between LCD and bezel, bottom left creaked and reportedly cracks with pressure since its thin (express slot), and general lack of attention to detail. It also had some Booting issues which is common apparently.

It doesn't seem up to par for its price let alone a thinkpad. Could be why the coupons are so common.

If they didn't have the 15% restocking fee coupled with bad customer service, I'd want to try again.

Take a look at the new Vizio CT14, basically a PC version of the macbook air. You can get it with i3 up to i7 depending on your price point.

Some high points are aluminum unibody construction and a bloatware-free windows install.

Here's a link to the basic model.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you in a rush? If not the Microsoft Surface Pro might be right in your price range, and it's coming out next month according to most reports I have seen. Full Ultrabook+tablet-in-one = winning :D

Back