Looking to buy a decent LCD TV

kur1j

Gawd
I am looking to buy a 42 to 52 inch (more in the 46" range) sized TV. Looking to spend $1000-$1500.

LG 47LC7DF 47"
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3303807&Sku=L49-4702

Response Time: 5ms
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 8000:1
$1379.99

Philips 47"
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3901431&body=MAIN#detailspecs

Display Area: 47"
Response Time: 5 ms
Signal Compatibility: 1080p
Dynamic screen contrast 29000:1
$1499.99

LG 47LB5D
47"

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3523394&body=MAIN#detailspecs

Native Display Resolution 1920 x 1080p
Dynamic Contrast Ratio 10,000:1
Response Time (Grey to Grey) 5ms
$1499.99

Toshiba 46RV530U

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3649448&body=MAIN#detailspecs

Response Time: 8 ms
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 10,000:1
$1399.99

Sharp LC-46D64U LCD HDTV - 46"
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3322807&CatId=3650
Image Contrast Ratio : 2000:1Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 10000:1Pixel Response Time 4 ms$1499.99

Westinghouse 47" TX-47F430S
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889234012

Response Time: 8ms
Image Contrast Ratio: 5000:1
$1299.99

All the TV's I have listed are 1080. From the looks of it the Westinghouse looks like one of the best deals or is. Do any of yall have any suggests?

What I don't understand is some TV's look better than other even though they have the SAME EXACT specs. It really is weird to me. I was looking at two TV's at bestbuy and they had the same exact specs except one had a 8ms response time and one had the 5ms response time. The picture on the 8ms tv looked better. I don't know why either. It just looked like it had a nice glossy pretty picture the other TV looked more dull but still looked good.

What I don't understand is some TV's look better than other even though they have the SAME EXACT specs. It really is weird to me. I was looking at two TV's at bestbuy and they had the same exact specs except one had a 8ms response time and one had the 5ms response time. The picture on the 8ms tv looked better. I don't know why either. It just looked like it had a nice glossy pretty picture the other TV looked more dull but still looked good.

Unfortunately, you can't trust what they look like in BestBuy. They sometimes use different inputs or cables on different tv's. It is also rumored that they tune the color settings on some tv's to make them look better because they want to sell more of that one. There is also a lot of things besides what is usually covered in the specs that is important. The quality of the deinterlacing chip in the tv is important. And there is also a chip I think that controls the aspect changes for when the tv is getting a signal that is not it's native resolution. These types of things are extremely important and aren't usually covered in the specs. Really the only way to know if it is a good product is to do ample research online and see what owners of the product actually think on the different forums and so on.

P.S. There is also a dynamic contrast ratio and a real contrast ratio. The real contrast ratio is always much, much smaller. However, it is also much more important then the dynamic contrast ratio. Usually the dynamic contrast ratio is what is listed in the specs because that is a higher number and they want to make the tv look as good as possible.

For PQ I'm going for either the Samsung A550 at 60 Hz w/ 8 bit panel or the A650 at 120Hz at 10 bit panel but the Toshiba xxRV530U is another choice for me cause I read that it is better for gaming. avsforum.com can help you out a lot.

Well there are SO many different TVs out there with everyone basically saying X tv looks amazing. I am assuming this is because the market of HDTV is relatively new to the mainstream. To me it has been fairly hard to find one hands down a better deal.

I think I have narrowed it down between the

LG 47LC7DF 47"
http://www.compusa.com/applications/...7&Sku=L49-4702

Response Time: 5ms
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 8000:1
$1379.99

Sharp LC-46D64U LCD HDTV - 46"
http://www.compusa.com/applications/...807&CatId=3650
Image Contrast Ratio : 2000:1
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 10000:1
Pixel Response Time 4 ms

Anyone have any input on the LG? My main thing is the picture quality. The cable company said they wouldn't be able to get out and setup my cable for HD for another 1-3 months (I have NO idea why) I keep calling them and they keep saying between 1-3 months. Just kinda looking for which TV will provide the best up scaling quality of regular cable TV for sports, mainly football.

Unfortunately, you can't trust what they look like in BestBuy. They sometimes use different inputs or cables on different tv's. It is also rumored that they tune the color settings on some tv's to make them look better because they want to sell more of that one. There is also a lot of things besides what is usually covered in the specs that is important. The quality of the deinterlacing chip in the tv is important. And there is also a chip I think that controls the aspect changes for when the tv is getting a signal that is not it's native resolution. These types of things are extremely important and aren't usually covered in the specs. Really the only way to know if it is a good product is to do ample research online and see what owners of the product actually think on the different forums and so on.

P.S. There is also a dynamic contrast ratio and a real contrast ratio. The real contrast ratio is always much, much smaller. However, it is also much more important then the dynamic contrast ratio. Usually the dynamic contrast ratio is what is listed in the specs because that is a higher number and they want to make the tv look as good as possible.

Did you ever go to bestbuy to confirm this? Whenever I go to look at TVs I look in the back of the TVs to check out the connections and make sure its consistent (example - they are usually connected via coax cable or component cables). Usually they are all connected the same way. You can then go to the menu on the TV you are interested in and restore to factory settings if you believe that the settings have been tampered with. Shouldn't be too hard ;)

Hmm

When I worked in BB's home theater department I sometimes tweaked the video settings of the really nice tvs just because it was fun and i wanted to see how decent it could look. Of course I didn't do that for all the screens, that would take forever...

Sorry that didn't really help your question, just wanted to point out that most of the time no adjustments take place on retail screens

WTF....no Samsung?
And the Phillips is the best of that bunch if it's the new 970 series.

Btw, Kur1j, you might get a shock when you watch SDTV on a 46-47in LCD{DVD will be better}, but Plasma's are better with SDTV/DVD.

WTF....no Samsung?
And the Phillips is the best of that bunch if it's the new 970 series.

I can't even find the 970 series on the Phillips website.

The 47PFL3603D is about the only one in my price range. Phillips likes to play the marketing game (Look at the contrast ratio of the TV I listed 29000:1, which is pure marketing BS).

As for a samsung the I see the LN46A550 and I am looking into that a little more.

Maybe it is just the way I took your comment but it kinda seems that the you are leaning more towards the branding of a TV than I would. Personally not to keen on a Samsung as I have had 2-3 different CRT monitors from them and all of them are in the trash now. But I will give them a fair shot.

Btw, Kur1j, you might get a shock when you watch SDTV on a 46-47in LCD{DVD will be better}, but Plasma's are better with SDTV/DVD.

Is there something I don't know about the 46-47" LCD's? I understand that it won't be HDTV but are you getting at it won't hardly be watchable? From my understanding it won't look terrible if you get a TV that does a decent job of up scaling. This will also be temporary as I will be getting HD service as soon as they let me.

I would consider some Samsung and Sony LCDs if I were you. The Samsung A550 is a nice LCD, and the A650 is even nicer, I have owned both.

I wouldn't even consider the Westinghouse if you can buy a nicer brand, as I used to own one of those as well, and the picture quality doesn't even compare.

I have also owned the Sharp GP1U set, and as far as I am concerned, it didn't look as nice as the Samsungs.

Kur1j.

Atm, two of the best LCD's are Samsung and Sony, but I've been hearing some good things about the new Philips range and I personally love the styling.....thing is, I'm in Australia, and you're in the US, so I don't know whether the new Philips is on the shelves in the states as yet.
Don't worry about the BS behind the contrast ratio, but generally speaking, the higher the number, the better the black levels, and black levels are more important than resolution on 40-47in TV.

Both Sony and Samsung's top models have excellent blacks, and Samsung have been producing some of the best LCD's for the last 18months.

I've yet to ever hear of anyone who's particularly happy with SDTV on 46-47in LCD, and the scalers can only do so much+ LCD loves HDTV and performs so much better with it, whereas a 50in plasma does a reasonable job with SDTV and quite respectable with DVD.

Well I don't like buying totally random brand names (never actually heard of westinghouse). But don't mind buying something from any company that I have actually heard of.

I am taking a better look into the A550 and the A650. Yeah the Philips that you speak of don't seem to be around in the US yet.

Well it would be stupid of me to Price Match as I would be paying 100+ in taxes. Frys as it at 1399 and 20 dollars shipping.

If I Price Matched it it would be 1500+

Make sure there's a good return policy with whatever you get. (And check immediately for bad pixels, bad uniformity, miscoloration, etc.). You have to do the final quality control yourself on these mass produced things...

(With LCDs, I very much prefer to buy locally to facilitate an easy return...)

I'd also see reviews on CNET, Home Theater Mag, Ultimate AV, etc...

Make sure there's a good return policy with whatever you get. (And check immediately for bad pixels, bad uniformity, miscoloration, etc.). You have to do the final quality control yourself on these mass produced things...

(With LCDs, I very much prefer to buy locally to facilitate an easy return...)

I'd also see reviews on CNET, Home Theater Mag, Ultimate AV, etc...

You sure have got that right on being able to return it.
When it comes to returns I have not seen a better return policy than Costco's return policy. You have 90 days to return and no reason needed!! Can anyone beat this? I have ordered from Costco's website and returned 2 months later and got ALL my money back including shipping!! WOW... now thats a return policy that wants to make sure you are happy with your purchase. Try that with BB, Frys or CC...

Back