Looking to build/buy work computer to run triple Qnix monitors

seaneboy

Limp Gawd
Hey guys!
Well, I can spec out a monster gaming build no problem, but it's this work computer that is bugging me. Here is what I have right now: Dell Optiplex 390, it's a mid tower, which means basically nothing to me because I still don't know wtf to do with it.... It has an i5-2500, 8 gb ram, and a crappy 300w PSU.
I'm wondering if I can salvage the cpu, mobo, and ram, and throw it in a new system..? Or, if I should just pull the plug on a whole new system anyway..?

I can justify spending upwards of $1k, especially if I'm going to get another (4) years out of it here at work, on a new machine. Basically my one requirement is that it can run the 1400p x 3 Qnix setup. And, I don't even need it to run too well! I'm just doing data entry, excel, outlook, admin type stuff anyways. Ok, maybe some Stick of Truth would be fun, but still, this is STRICTLY a work machine.

Or, perhaps I should just keep it cheap, and throw together some parts for an upgrade? I'm itching to build something, but I do have to pretend to be responsible at some point.

I even thought of building something SFF to bring to conventions with us, and show off as part of our capabilities, or at least use it to run videos, or data capture, etc.... but, I'm up in the air.

Anyone advise on ripping these parts out, versus a new system? I just read someplace that Dell is using ATX standard now, so perhaps I'm in the clear on this 4 year old machine, and can use the parts?

Not going to be able to throw the board in a new machine. It is not ATX.

You could salvage the CPU and RAM.... but why even bother?

If this is a "pays my bills" class of machine then stick with a new Dell and the associated NBD warranty. 1K should buy a pretty decent machine no problem that you can always stick in a budget GPU to support 3 monitors with.

There is a 30% off coupon for the outlet right now. I see plenty of Optiplex 3020 and 7020 machines spec'd with i5-4590s, SSDs and plenty of ram for under a grand. With the coupon that drops it under 700 for a fully warranted and supported machine. You can make that number even smaller if you want to buy your own SSD.

Just a quick example that even has a dedicated GPU:

Optiplex 7020
Processor: Intel Core 4th Gen i5-4590 Processor (Quad Core, 3.30GHz Turbo, 6MB)
Windows 8.1 Pro Free Windows 10 Upgrade
128GB 2.5 inch (SATA3) Mobility Solid State Drive
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (2x 4GB) Non-ECC
8X SlimLine, DVD+/-RW
AMD RDNHD R5 240, 1GB, HH
Dell Outlet Optiplex 7020 Small Form Factor

929 - 30% = $650 and you're done. Just toss a spare hard drive in there for bulk storage.

There are many more. Just depends on whether you want to or can upgrade a company machine.

Not going to be able to throw the board in a new machine. It is not ATX.

You could salvage the CPU and RAM.... but why even bother?

Thanks for leaning in the direction I was in.. I just hate having all these really mediocre systems around...

If this is a "pays my bills" class of machine then stick with a new Dell and the associated NBD warranty. 1K should buy a pretty decent machine no problem that you can always stick in a budget GPU to support 3 monitors with.

There is a 30% off coupon for the outlet right now. I see plenty of Optiplex 3020 and 7020 machines spec'd with i5-4590s, SSDs and plenty of ram for under a grand. With the coupon that drops it under 700 for a fully warranted and supported machine. You can make that number even smaller if you want to buy your own SSD.

Just a quick example that even has a dedicated GPU:

Optiplex 7020
Processor: Intel Core 4th Gen i5-4590 Processor (Quad Core, 3.30GHz Turbo, 6MB)
Windows 8.1 Pro Free Windows 10 Upgrade
128GB 2.5 inch (SATA3) Mobility Solid State Drive
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (2x 4GB) Non-ECC
8X SlimLine, DVD+/-RW
AMD RDNHD R5 240, 1GB, HH
Dell Outlet Optiplex 7020 Small Form Factor

929 - 30% = $650 and you're done. Just toss a spare hard drive in there for bulk storage.

There are many more. Just depends on whether you want to or can upgrade a company machine.

I'm the boss, so I can do as I please..but, I'm also a reasonable guy, sometimes. Anyway, I do really indeed just need a bill paying machine.

I was actually looking at those the other day! I know it kind of, as I've already spec'd out some builds vs. Dell buys.. it kind of stinks that they price it right around the same. But, the NBD is a big deal for us as uptime is important. I must also say, we've been doing well with them.

Ugh, I just really want to build one.. Maybe it makes sense to build if I throw my extra 290x at home into the mix? It's already got a waterblock on it.. could be interesting working an AIO into it maybe for a cheap solution?

It will probably be less of a pain in the arse to just sell off my watercooled 290x as is, and buy a GTX 960 for the new build.. Here is where I'm at now:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($193.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus H97-PRO GAMER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($107.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($102.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $941.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-10 15:39 EDT-0400

EDIT TODAY: I think I'm going to take a ride into Microcenter and buy up everything I can there. Believe it or not, they have the C70 case in there for $114 which is decent, mixed with the $159 on the 4590, and the $92 on the 250GB 850 EVO SSD.. Yeah, tax will hit me, but at least I'll be able to start my build today.

Last edited:
It doesn't take much of a computer to run triple screens and function in a work environment. The optiplex motherboard should have a pci-e slot on it. Just throw in a gpu. You might have to upgrade the psu to support the vid card. You could also upgrade to an ssd. They always make an old system feel fast. $200 should fix you up pretty well.

There are also some cheap bundles, at the major online retailers, that would do what you want for far less than $1000.

It kinda sounds like you're looking for justification to build a new machine. I say your justified. Go for it and have fun;)

Back