Looking to build a SFF - Which Case?

Cbl12886

Limp Gawd
Soon, I will be buying parts to build a new computer. Since I LAN a lot at friends’ houses I want something that is easier to carry around than my heavy desktop. I will probably go with an AM2 motherboard with an Athlon 64 X2 but may go with a 939 so I can use my processor and ram from the old computer. The first thing I will be purchasing is the case and motherboard if I decide on AM2 or 939. I am looking for a case that will be lightweight, sturdy, easy to install parts, moderate cooling, and I would like it to have a handle but if not I might be able to add one. The Thermaltake Lanbox and the Lian Li V300B both look like viable options. What would be everyone’s recommendations?

Consider an Ultra Microfly, "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

the qpack chassis is good if you dont mind the looks, but i personally love mine in all ways.

Those two cases do not appeal to me. They seem cheap. I would rather have something of a higher quality. Price is not really an issue unless it is the fragbox.

-Blake

Silverstone or Falcon. I would take the Silverstone because it can hold two HDD's. I have the QPack, more bang for buck and the mobo tray slides out.

I am a Lian-Li fan, and this is my first non-LL case and I like it. But if you thought about the Li-Li, go for it. And the Li-Li mobo tray slides out.

Both the Lain Li and the Silverstone look to be good cases. I really like the falcon northwest but for $300 I could just get a Shuttle. Does anyone know of any handles you can buy to put onto the case? I really like the one on the Falcon and Lanbox. Adding one to the silverstone would make it just like them.

I know in my searches, the Silverstone looks really nice. If you haven't actually seen one in person and have a store nearby that carries it, go take a look. I was surprised at just how small it was... about 30% smaller then the Q-Pack. Likewise, its a very solid case, no tweaking in it.

Can't speak for the Lian Li, but I think I'm going to go with the Silverstone when I do my SFF.

I really like that case but I don't think any of the stores around me would carry it. The only store that might have it would be compusa. I am real curious if anyone has added an handle mod or painted any of their SFF cases. Actually is there any information about painting cases or adding handles here on this forum?

I have to put my vote in for the Lanbox, seeing as how I own one and can attest to its quality. Alot of people will trash Tt but in this instance they really have a well thought out and quality made product. I'd say pound for pound my Tt Lanbox is better quality / design than my Silver Stone TJ07. Let me know if you have any questions about the Lanbox, seeing as how a lot of people don't have one still, as its a fairly new case.

I really like that case but I don't think any of the stores around me would carry it. The only store that might have it would be compusa. I am real curious if anyone has added an handle mod or painted any of their SFF cases. Actually is there any information about painting cases or adding handles here on this forum?

Check out the Case Modding thread, I'm sure you'll find some answers there

http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

mastrmndv2 - What is the size difference between the Silverstone and the Thermaltake? Was the installation of components in the Thermaltake easy? Are there any restrictions on graphics cards or other parts?

Any chance an ocz 520 power supply will fit in the tt as I have one to spare?

I know in my searches, the Silverstone looks really nice. If you haven't actually seen one in person and have a store nearby that carries it, go take a look. I was surprised at just how small it was... about 30% smaller then the Q-Pack. Likewise, its a very solid case, no tweaking in it.
I dunno where you get your "math" from. But the QPack is 1391 cubic-inches and the Silverstone is 1370 cubic-inches. Just ribbin' ya because I saw a chance to ;), no harm intended.

@Cbl12886 - The Li-Li case is strange with the side drive bays. As that would screw with how I have my desk set up. So the Li-Li is dropped from the list you gave. Go with the Lanbox as it has what you want and it does look nice. I am sure the build of the case is sturdy. If I were to upgrade my wifes SSF case, I'd go with the QPack again (just for matching sake).

If I lived in a dust-free environment, I'd get the Li-Li... for some reason the last one I had acted like a hepa-filter for my house.

@auspexd - Looking at the size of the PSU, I think the OCZ will fit that TT case. But one of the [H] members made a chart that shows what can fit in what.

Is there any Intel Micro ATX motherboards coming out that will be SLI. I dont HAVE to have SLI but I would like it if I wanted to upgrade to two gfx cards.

Yes, that is SLI but it is not an intel board. That is skt 939 which is getting old. I would rather go with AM2 or 775.

WTF, that microATX isn't a micro ATX. I checked the model number and it's a full ATX. That blows.

Did you decide on the case? And if they do come up with an SLI uATX, just sell, the old one and buy another. That's what I had planned on doing.

Well he kind of sold me on the Lanbox but after looking at the specs on newegg I am not so sure. The thing is a lot bigger than the other SFF computers. It is 11.8'' x 17'' x 11'' and is weighing in at 16.6 lbs. That is a whole 10 lbs. heavier than the Silverstone case.

After components, it will get to about 25. But if it's a solid case, does the weight really matter?

Well, when you LAN every week, once or twice, hauling around a tower that weighs a ton is a pain.

I saw one of those straps you can use for your SSF case, it's detatchable. If you like that solution, then the Other two might be a viable option.

sorry to come into your thread out of no where.. but i was wondering.. is there a sufficient way to mod (any) sff case to be able to fit a standard atx mobo?

Well my two finalists for cases are the TT Lanbox and the Silverstone Sugo. I might end up just getting the TT because it has a handle. When transporting a pc through doors and in and out of a car all the time, having a handle will able me not to drop it. I have had some close calls with my current desktop.

The LANBOX is fairly heavy. I'd get the SG01 and get the Sugo pack to carry it in.

Yeah, I was looking at that Sugo pack. It looks pretty cool. I am going to browse the forum for the two cases and see how they look setup and make my decision. I will probably be ordering the case and motherboard this weekend.

mastrmndv2 - What is the size difference between the Silverstone and the Thermaltake? Was the installation of components in the Thermaltake easy? Are there any restrictions on graphics cards or other parts?

The Sugo and Lanbox are roughly the same size. The Lanbox is slightly larger to accomodate for the 7in monitor flip out option. The installation of the components is VERY easy thanks to the modular design on the Lanbox. I have a 6600gt installed in the Lanbox right now and it easily fits. I'm not sure if an 8800gtx would fit but I'm pretty sure it will because there is a large gap between the 5.25 drive bay and the vertical mounted 3.5. A slot just big enough to let a longer graphics card slide in there.

I know many of you are worried about the weight of the Lanbox. Be sure to make note that the silver model is made out of all aluminum and weighs much less than the black model, which is not made out of aluminum, save for the faceplate. I have the silver model with the handle and FULLY loaded it weighs roughly the same as my old 17 in lcd monitor.

BTW just figured I'd let everybody know that in a room where a watercooled oc'd opteron idles at 32 degrees C in a Silverstone TJ07, my little venice is idling at 28 C non overclocked. The internal motherboard temp is also reading at 28 C, northbridge is at 34 C (might have to replace the stock heatsink on the foxconn). I think these are pretty impressive numbers for stock fans on a non modded Lanbox. Keep in mind I am using an opty 4 pipe heatsink on the venice ;)

The Thermaltake VF1000SWA Silver Aluminum is 9.3 lbs and the Silverstone SG01-BW Black Aluminum is 6.6. Since I prefer black over silver, I will be going with the Silverstone unless someone can really dissuade me. The Silverstone also comes with side windows which I like. If I really want extra portability I will defiantly go with that case.

I do not plan on using a 8800 and do not plan on spending that much for a case.

@Skott - When I find a Core 2 Duo SLI uATX mobo, I'll grab that case. Looks nice. Hell, I might get it now... if I get it, anyone want to buy my QPack? ;)

Edit I take that back:
-SLI configuration may occupy the space of 1-2 hard drives.

@Skott - When I find a Core 2 Duo SLI uATX mobo, I'll grab that case. Looks nice. Hell, I might get it now... if I get it, anyone want to buy my QPack? ;)

Edit I take that back:

its a good case...just expensive. I'm using it right now and if you work on your computer a lot it is a God send :)

Also, I got the Silverstone ST50EF-Plus Short Cabled 500w PSU today and it is nice. The short cables make it perfect for a SFF case. I'm surprised someone hasn't thought of this earlier (although I admit Ultra did have a short cabled X2 kit)

The problem with building a new computer is there are so many choices. Now I am thinking of going with the qpack because it is cheap and already comes with a power supply. With any case I get, I plan on painting it a nice blue or red. Since the case is lightweight and it has a handle, now I just need to know of any real problems the case has. To me it looks like a good choice. The only thing I can think of is I might have to replace the power supply. It will come out cheaper than the Silverstone or the Thermaltake anyway. BTW are there any good tutorials on painting either here or online?

The Ultra Micofly looks like a good option if its 400W power supply is good enough for running midrange items.

I couldn't be happier with the Siverstone than I am. I'm running a full-sized PSU in this baby, so easy to work with, tons of room, classy looks, lightweight, etc...

Back