Looking into a ps3, longtime pc gamer

Krieger91

[H]ard|Gawd
Recently I have had my $150 Das Keyboard just die on me. I keep everything in pristine condition and this is how I get repaid. PC gaming is honestly running me ragged, I have enough bs in my life that I would like to sit down for once and not worry if a game is going to work or not.

So. What exactly is the best deals out right now? I saw on amazon a 320GB ps3 with uncharted 3 for $299.

Also, recommend me some games!

I have been thinking about

Red dead redemption
Little big planet
Killzone 3
uncharted series
Dark souls

You broke your overpriced keyboard, so you're dumping PC gaming altogether for the PS3??
Overpriced, underpowered hardware, overpriced, derivative games, and good luck with those marvelous weekly Sony firmware updates. So simple, even a caveman...aww hell.

Seriously, replace your keyboard with some cheap POS for gaming and call it a day.

You broke your overpriced keyboard, so you're dumping PC gaming altogether for the PS3??
Overpriced, underpowered hardware, overpriced, derivative games, and good luck with those marvelous weekly Sony firmware updates. So simple, even a caveman...aww hell.

Seriously, replace your keyboard with some cheap POS for gaming and call it a day.

lol I didn't break anything. The fucking piece of shit stops working two months into being used. Sorry I am not a child and I don't destroy my property, if anything I have treated it too damn well.

You've spent a couple of grand on your PC, your $150 keyboard died... now you want to swap to a $300 console? ....ummm... ok. If you wanna play PS3, go for it, but that's the weirdest reason I've heard in a while :p Tell ya what, I'll swap you a PS3 for your desktop, won't cost you a dime ;)

That's just bad luck. Das will take care of you btw. Excellent quality keyboards. I certainly wouldn't abandon PC gaming over that!

Past that, though, the PS3 really makes an ideal complement to the PC for gaming IMO. There's a number of excellent exclusives on there (any Naughty Dog game for example) that will simply never come to the PC and there's no point in missing out.

Red dead redemption
Little big planet
Killzone 3
uncharted series
Dark souls

Buy them all. God of War is another one.

Honestly, if it's something that interests you and it gets good feedback and it's never coming to the PC buy it on the PS3. You'll be happy.

That's just bad luck. Das will take care of you btw. Excellent quality keyboards. I certainly wouldn't abandon PC gaming over that!

Past that, though, the PS3 really makes an ideal complement to the PC for gaming IMO. There's a number of excellent exclusives on there (any Naughty Dog game for example) that will simply never come to the PC and there's no point in missing out.

Buy them all. God of War is another one.

Honestly, if it's something that interests you and it gets good feedback and it's never coming to the PC buy it on the PS3. You'll be happy.

It's not just the keyboard, it's the culmination of a lot of things that have been discussed to death. The keyboard is mainly a catalyst in this equation. I am really having a hard time finding the damn support email for das tbh.

Check out Amazon Warehouse deals for Used - Like New PS3s. Often you can get a brand new PS3 that has a box that got banged up for less than $200. You might have to look for a few days for one to pop up.

There are plenty of great games available, just search "top 25 ps3 games" and you'll get countless articles. Your list would provide a great start. Don't forget to play Demon's Souls before you get Dark Souls.

solution is to use your average run of the mill membrane based keyboard....they seem to last forever......mine is 4 years old and works great

You can get a good as new factory refurb 160gb PS3 for $200.

Along with Red Dead Redemption, it's worth it for Demons Souls/Dark Souls alone. Some amazing games you can't get on PC. The Uncharted games are also very polished and fun and God of War 3 is only like $20 new. All are worth it.

solution is to use your average run of the mill membrane based keyboard....they seem to last forever......mine is 4 years old and works great

I have a ps2 keyboard from at least 10 years ago, it works fine.

What.

The.

Hell.

One of the big features you'll hear about again and again in relation to mechanical keyboards is how much more reliable and sturdily built they are compared to rubber dome keyboards. I've had a rubber dome keyboard last me many years, a $5 one that last me through most of high school and university, I also have other rubber dome keyboards that had issues after a couple of months usage. I think my Mum manages to go through a keyboard a year on average. The often quoted numbers are that rubber domes have an expected life of 5 million presses, with them getting spongy much earlier, while mechanicals are typically consistent for around 50 million. The OP just got a dud, can happen to any sort of electrical device, just get it replaced and stop moaning :p

Last edited:
Just because he picks up a ps3 doesn't mean he has to completely abandon the PC. If your a true gamer, there's quite a few Sony exclusives worth playing that you won't find on a PC. I own a 360, a Wii and a PC, they'r all good systems each with their own limitations and strengths. I'd pick up a PS3 just for Uncharted and MLB the Show alone if money wasn't so tight for me right now.

Just because he picks up a ps3 doesn't mean he has to completely abandon the PC. If your a true gamer, there's quite a few Sony exclusives worth playing that you won't find on a PC. I own a 360, a Wii and a PC, they'r all good systems each with their own limitations and strengths. I'd pick up a PS3 just for Uncharted and MLB the Show alone if money wasn't so tight for me right now.

Actually a better argument is that if you're a real gamer you'll have multiple systems and we probably all do. Playing with two analogs is a different game play experience than a mouse and I enjoy all varieties. FPS's for instance suck on PC IMHO, but I've yet to see an RPG which I thought to myself "This would sucked on a PC". And yes skyrim is awesome but I base my judgments on RPG's on Baulder's Gate II (oh how i will forever search for a real successor to BGII ::sigh:: )

Its also a lot easier to sit 4 friends in front of a tv splitsceen, then it is by most peoples computer. Use each gaming systems for its strength and you wont ever be unhappy.

PS: Dont forget Twisted Metal is coming out soon.

No one is arguing that a PS3 can't be a good addition to a PC for some people... just the reasoning, you must admit, is extremely weird :rolleyes:

Actually a better argument is that if you're a real gamer you'll have multiple systems and we probably all do. Playing with two analogs is a different game play experience than a mouse and I enjoy all varieties. FPS's for instance suck on PC IMHO, but I've yet to see an RPG which I thought to myself "This would sucked on a PC". And yes skyrim is awesome but I base my judgments on RPG's on Baulder's Gate II (oh how i will forever search for a real successor to BGII ::sigh:: )

does having a

Wii
NGC
N64
SNES
PS2
PS3
Xbox 360
nearly 4 year old gaming rig

count as having all the major home systems? :D

does having a

Wii
NGC
N64
SNES
PS2
PS3
Xbox 360
nearly 4 year old gaming rig

count as having all the major home systems? :D

Depends on your definition of major. There's nothing by Sega on that list, and I'd consider at least the Genesis as being pretty major. Original Playstation is quite major too (though you could argue that the PS2 has you covered on that front).

Still not a half bad list at all.

Also, @ the OP. When you break one of your PS3 controllers and need to dump some of the games as you make the switch to the 360, just give me a tell. I might buy a few.

I'm a PC user who went to PS3 mostly for the exclusives. Honestly with the failure rate of consoles these days, the amount of firmware and game updates that are released and other issues like the PSN getting repeatedly hacked, I even had a disc die on me so I lost a game, and I treat my discs very well! It's not as simple as you probably believe.

haha. I HATE FPS's on a mouse. Just my opinion. I much prefer them on consoles. May just be because I'm a huge Halo 3 guy (practically the only reason I play xbox anymore). Had this conversation with someone else earlier too. I may not represent the majority. I think the dual analog has a nice feel to it and requires more finesse than a mouse.

haha. I HATE FPS's on a mouse. Just my opinion. I much prefer them on consoles. May just be because I'm a huge Halo 3 guy (practically the only reason I play xbox anymore). Had this conversation with someone else earlier too. I may not represent the majority. I think the dual analog has a nice feel to it and requires more finesse than a mouse.

So, what you're saying is that you need auto-aim to play an FPS?

Whats with all the PC guys trolling the console sub forum. Mods need to get in here and clean this shit up.

I feel the pain of the OP in this case.. Dealing with issues to play a game just plain sucks, and I think I realize it more and more the older I get. Wasting the time dicking around with drivers, crashes or other problematic things really puts a downer on gaming.

Not to mention when you work on the PC all day long, the last thing I want to do is play with a keyboard and mouse. I'm terrible at FPS games on thumbsticks, but I'm willing to learn to get myself off of the PC after a long 10-12 hour day in front of it dealing with crappy customers etc.

That being said, I am a hardcore PC guy, through and through, so I agree that you shouldn't necessarily abandon it altogether but rather compliment it. The last problem I ran into was with BF3 prior to their major bug fix patch, which is where I saw all kinds of crash to desktops without any errors. I did everything I thought I could - underclocked my GPU, switched drivers many times (using driver sweeper), even tried switching hardware just to play the damn game. Turns out it was all software related of course, and a lot of those crashes still happened on consoles, but there's something incredibly gratifying knowing you can just restart the console and keep playing, or just put in a disc and pick up a controller and play for that matter. The simplicity and social aspect of my friends (not to mention dramatically less hacking/cheating) always seems to be a selling point for me for consoles, but then again there's plenty of cons as well that are huge pros for the PC.

Depends on your definition of major. There's nothing by Sega on that list, and I'd consider at least the Genesis as being pretty major. Original Playstation is quite major too (though you could argue that the PS2 has you covered on that front).

Still not a half bad list at all.

Also, @ the OP. When you break one of your PS3 controllers and need to dump some of the games as you make the switch to the 360, just give me a tell. I might buy a few.

sorry DC was not in my price range and when it was, it was already dead

precision of a mouse is by leaps and bounds better on a PC, and so is a controller

I am too a long time PC gamer and recently bought a PS3 in October of last year. I primarily bought it to play with some friends who only game on the PS3. I bought Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, and MW3. I really only play BF3 and UC3 now a days.

One thing I've noticed is PS3 games have A LOT of bugs. I mean I'm loading BF3 or UC3 and the system freezes. Or you voice chat doesn't work properly in BF3 or Uncharted 3. Or I spawn without a gun in BF3 and have to reinstall the game to get it to work again. Some of these are game specific bugs, but they still stand out to me as a PS3 thing.

I've noticed mechanical keyboards do seem to fail just as much as "lesser" keyboards. The switches on either type don't seem to be the point of failure, more the electronics themselves, which are the same either way. Hve seen on several peoples keyboards random keys stop working or repeating. I still have membrane keyboards over 10 years old that still work.

Same thing with tygon "premium" more expensive tubing. It sells itself on being better, but whenever you see people talking about failed/discolored/ruined tubing, it always seems to be tygon...:confused:

I'm a PC user who went to PS3 mostly for the exclusives. Honestly with the failure rate of consoles these days, the amount of firmware and game updates that are released and other issues like the PSN getting repeatedly hacked, I even had a disc die on me so I lost a game, and I treat my discs very well! It's not as simple as you probably believe.

Depends on the company, but usually you can get a disk replaced for a small fee (as long as you ship the original).

I finished Resistance: Fall of Man and am looking to pick up the other two. It's dirt cheap, so it's worth it.
Also, if you haven't played them on the PC, Bioshock and Bioshock 2 are great..

I'm a PC gamer by default as well, but lately, I've found myself hitting the console.

Recently I have had my $150 Das Keyboard just die on me. I keep everything in pristine condition and this is how I get repaid. PC gaming is honestly running me ragged, I have enough bs in my life that I would like to sit down for once and not worry if a game is going to work or not.

So. What exactly is the best deals out right now? I saw on amazon a 320GB ps3 with uncharted 3 for $299.

Also, recommend me some games!

I have been thinking about

Red dead redemption
Little big planet
Killzone 3
uncharted series
Dark souls

Heavy Rain is also a great game for the PS3.

I have been looking at the same thing recently, love gaming on a computer and sorta left the console era around N64 and haven't looked back. Plus I have a lot of games in Steam, so it is easy to just keep gaming on the pc.

However, since I recently got a nice new 47" LCD, I have started looking at consoles again and trying to decide right now between Xbox 360 or Playstation 3. I will probably get the other one eventually but right now it seems like PS3 is more entertaining with their exclusive games then the 360.

Plus I like the fact that with consoles, you can buy cheap used games, beat them and trade them back in, unlike PC games.

Just because he picks up a ps3 doesn't mean he has to completely abandon the PC.

Bam! Stunning observation...stunning that it took 14 posts before someone finally posted the most relevant statement on this non-debate.

Yes, it's true. Just consider the possibilities...you can buy a ps3 AND keep your PC, both at the same time! No bullshit...I have ran the algorithms 12.7 million times this minute and data is holding strong!

Now, I don't want to say anything prematurely, so please don't quote me on this: I am quite confident that indeed, you can buy a ps3 and still continue to game on your PC! This is just around the corner, gentlemen...exciting time to be alive! Anybody who can prove this with video evidence, please email me so we can prepare upping it to youtube. The world needs to know!

There's no turning back! Nothing can stop the tide!! I think we can get an occupy rally out of this if we play our cards right so hold on for the ride of your life!!

Bam! Stunning observation...stunning that it took 14 posts before someone finally posted the most relevant statement on this non-debate.

Yes, it's true. Just consider the possibilities...you can buy a ps3 AND keep your PC, both at the same time! No bullshit...I have ran the algorithms 12.7 million times this minute and data is holding strong!

Now, I don't want to say anything prematurely, so please don't quote me on this: I am quite confident that indeed, you can buy a ps3 and still continue to game on your PC! This is just around the corner, gentlemen...exciting time to be alive! Anybody who can prove this with video evidence, please email me so we can prepare upping it to youtube. The world needs to know!

There's no turning back! Nothing can stop the tide!! I think we can get an occupy rally out of this if we play our cards right so hold on for the ride of your life!!

No shit, Sherlock. No one mentioned it because it didn't bear mentioning. :p

I tried both the PS3 and Xbox360 and sold both after a short time. The games are shallow, the graphics are terrible, the controllers only have a positive affect on gameplay with maybe half the games. Not to mention dreadful load times. If you have a medium-to-high end PC, the consoles will disappoint in every way possible.

Back