Looking into a projector for the game room

Maddnotez

Limp Gawd
I have never owned a projector and I have no idea what I am looking for besides I guess that Lumens is the key word to know?

I just want something low cost (like super cheap lol $300 or less probably) and definitely used due to the cost savings but at the same time, like many people. Want the best I can get for the money.

Definitely not looking to buy a $1k projector. This will be for the basement for me and my kid. Games, Movies, Etc.

Edit: The budget EUG looks appealing. Are these better than complete trash?

Last edited:
You want a cheap LCD.

Really.

Projectors in the US$10,000+ space still require concerted efforts towards the rooms they will be placed in to approach their potential; in the ~US$300 space you're looking at something that's mostly suited for Powerpoint.

Now, that's not to say that it won't work, but rather, you'd need to spend plenty more than you would on an LCD or OLED of equivalent size to get a projector capable of outputting a better picture and then you'd need to set up the room properly.

Don’t go less than 1920x1080 (1080p) on a projector if you plan to have a big screen. Pixel size matters when you are talking about a > 100” screen.

At the very least I don’t think you should consider less than a native resolution of 1280x720. (720p)

If you can’t afford one of these — Id advise saving until you can. You’ll be much happier in the $450 to $500 range for a MUCH better projector. ProjectorCentral.com and ProjectorReviews.com are both solid sites with good, honest reputation and recommendations.

Better colors, better contrast, better resolution, better lens for better clarity/sharpness — better everything top to bottom. Made for home theater, or gaming vs. made for a white background PowerPoint with poor/inaccurate color quality and low resolution, low quality lens blurring.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/best-cheap-projectors.htm

Last edited:
Pick up a used benq 1070 or 1075 the lamps are expensive but if you are brave you can get an ebay bulb for under $80

I used an older 1280x768 laser green + blue and red led Casio and it was fine on a 3m screen playing 1080p black and white documentary content. Phosphor is the consumable and it lasts 20k hours, so pretty good, fun to play with blue lasers and the wheels ;)
I notice the 3 colours separating if i move my eyes fast or similar but most are not suceptible to that. Colour is a big part of my business so I'm picky.. It did fine and will be not a problem for kids..
Attached a 2.5x2.5m screeny.. Excuse the subject but was all that was available at the time to test black and white for a project. xj-v2 projector test.jpg

But for a cheap projector it impressed me, would be cheap used these days. It's a Casio XJ-V2. Desktop looks ok, colours are okay but deffo more an older 'tn' experience for colour grade. Games would be fine for kids. Easy to drive... They are pretty well built and cooled and decent warranty. A good no fuss option.
Keystone was only vertical though which sucked after using pro stuff in the past.

1080p stuff is still a bit pricey especially if you want a good result.. Projectors are not cheap. Seen some amazing mems laser scanner jobbies tho... Anyone keen on 400hz and the only limit to contrast is your mems power handling.. Lol.

If you can’t afford one of these — Id advise saving until you can. You’ll be much happier in the $450 to $500 range for a MUCH better projector. ProjectorCentral.com and ProjectorReviews.com are both solid sites with good, honest reputation and recommendations.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/best-cheap-projectors.htm

$500 wouldn't be completely out of the question if I wait a bit. Probably would be better off.

Pick up a used benq 1070 or 1075 the lamps are expensive but if you are brave you can get an ebay bulb for under $80

I see these look to be fairly priced used. Thanks.

Thanks to all for all the info.

$500 wouldn't be completely out of the question if I wait a bit. Probably would be better off.

I see these look to be fairly priced used. Thanks.

Thanks to all for all the info.

The BenQ 1070 and 1075 are very nice projectors for the money. They are a few years old now but you’d likely not be disappointed with them. They have been a well received unit — were originally about $1000-$1200 at launch but have steadily dropped in price. If you find a good price on a used one - say $300ish range - go for it. 1080p, nice and bright, DLP, reasonable black levels, 3D. The new ones might be better but the 1070 is a good base platform and a lot of people own and are happy with them. They were best of class type reviewed for the inexpensive projector section when they launched.

The BenQ 1070 and 1075 are very nice projectors for the money. They are a few years old now but you’d likely not be disappointed with them. They have been a well received unit — were originally about $1000-$1200 at launch but have steadily dropped in price. If you find a good price on a used one - say $300ish range - go for it. 1080p, nice and bright, DLP, reasonable black levels, 3D. The new ones might be better but the 1070 is a good base platform and a lot of people own and are happy with them. They were best of class type reviewed for the inexpensive projector section when they launched.
In your opinion would the Epson 3020 be a better deal? CNET says they are very similar in quality but that the Ben Q 3d glasses are $100 each (not the 3d was the sole reason to buy)

I would look for something on the Facebook market place near you that is used. Lots of older 1080p projectors that people are looking to offload that you can get for a good price.

Nothing at $300 is worth buying unless it is just for temparary placement to watch some videos

This is my portable projector that my kids use in their rooms to watch on the ceiling when they go to bed and have friends over
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-PF50KA-...:9XUAAOSw0AxdsdEK:sc:USPSPriority!93727!US!-1

Example of what is for sale in my area on the market place

upload_2019-10-24_20-41-15.png

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back