Looking for "workhorse" laptop...

Skipper007

Limp Gawd
I'm currently loking for a replacement for my Seanix SL226A, which was a decent laptop except for the battery life... until the LCD panel cracked (no signs of exterior damage present, BTW). I still have very little idea what caused the problem, as the screen hasn't taken any hard hits that I'm aware of and the screen flex when opening and closing (I assume this is bad for the panel) is about average for a 15.4 inch widescreen. Handling was all what I'd consider "normal use", and I'm pretty careful with my gear. Might have gotten it repaired if it was covered by the three year extended warrenty I paid for, but LCD panel damage isn't covered even if it cracks for no apparent reason, and the repair cost isn't worth it to me.

Right now, the only theory my dad and I have is that the glass part of the LCD panel (LCD panels, as far as I know, are built by sandwiching liquid crystals between a plastic layer and a glass one) cracked due to stress, which might have been due to screen flex. Which, unfortunately, seems like it could be a problem with most of the designs I've seen around.

Basically, I'm looking for a laptop that has a bit more screen protection then half a millimeter of cheap plastic like 99% of the BS laptop designs I see at stores do. I imagine 13 and 14 inch models are probably more durable then 15s too. I want something with good build quality and preferably 3-4 hours of REAL battery (not just rated). My dad's T series Thinkpad fits this perfectly, but unforunately, it's WAY out of my price range. I'm looking pretty much at base model machines here, just need 512MB of RAM although a good sized hard disk and DVD burner would be nice.

Only other consideration is that I have to be able to get it in Canada.

Back