looking for wireless router with firewall that can block/allow IP addresses or URLs

x509

2[H]4U
Title says what I need help with. The typical consumer-priced wireless router from say Netgear doesn't do this.

Recommendations for/against would be appreciated.

Hmm, my Asus RT-N66 does URL/Keyword blocking:

7J23vkv.png

The only thing is that they normally won't support filtering with HTTPS because they won't do MITM; or support SNI.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmm, my Asus RT-N66 does URL/Keyword blocking:

7J23vkv.png

The only thing is that they normally won't support filtering with HTTPS because they won't do MITM; or support SNI.

Sounds good. Can you filter on incoming or outgoing only?

Uhm... you only access URLs outgoing also, anything that apparenly uses gzip (quite a lot of sites) doesn't work according to Asus's disclaimer.

@x509:

Inbound filtering would happen by your firewall, such as NAT/access rules...that's not really a web filtering concern. I guess I don't see a use-case scenario where you block inbound URLs...??

@x509:

Inbound filtering would happen by your firewall, such as NAT/access rules...that's not really a web filtering concern. I guess I don't see a use-case scenario where you block inbound URLs...??

@Cmustang87. You are right, :eek: and shame on me, an old networking guy, :rolleyes: for getting this one wrong. I would like to be able to blacklist IP addresses or address ranges.

As others said, anything that runs openwrt will do it. If you want something a little fancier check out pfsense with pfBlockerNG

Another very affordable option is the ubiquiti edgerouter lite, although I don't know if this can be done in it's gui (if that matters to you).

Back