Looking for user feedback on the Asus Maximus Impact mITX board

dmoney1980

Gawd
Hey there!

I'm looking for some feedback from owners of the Asus Maximus VI Impact mITX board. I would like some feedback on the following:

1- Wireless card performance, specifically the AC wireless signals. This is a great feature that Asus includes with this board, but I've heard mixed reviews (constant signal drops) out there.

2- Space for HSF. How big of a HSF do you have on this board? Can a run of the mill 120mm tower solution fit without blocking the PCIE slot, or does this board work best with an AIO water kit.

3- Last but not least is boot / post times. I have a SSD but it bugs me to see motherboard reviews that show products with 20+ sec post times. How does this board measure up?

Any other specific thoughts or insights would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Stock cooling for the processor for now, I needed to get up and running quick.

1. It's alright, I haven't installed the Asus drivers (just Windows 8.1 built in drivers) and I get a 216 to 300 megabit connection from my old WNDR 3700 netgear router on 5GHz. The router is two walls removed from my PC. Placement of the antenna is important, if I move the antenna around the signal can decrease to 108 megabits. I haven't had a connection drop in the two weeks I've had the motherboard.

2. Can't really say, some people seem to have compiled compatible coolers in a forum thread on the ROG forums. : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37141-Maximus-VI-Impact-Supported-CPU-coolers.

3. Definitely sub-20 second to Windows 8 with fast boot and my 512GB SSD. I haven't timed it but I could do this when I get home.

All fans are independently controllable which is super excellent, lol, but the auto fan control leaves a lot to be desired because it's based on some nonsensical CPU temp. The cpu temp is kind of accurate at idle, but under load it only goes up to around 45 degrees, whereas every other temp monitor rightfully detects core temps in the region of 60 to 70 degrees! Still, I'm just glad not to have to do the ole Molex 7V trick haha.

I haven't used the onboard sound, as I use a USB DAC.

It has a hardware implementation for iPhone charging while the PC is off, which is great. So you could plug in a mobile device after the computer has been shut off and still get it to charge. Some motherboards require you to have plugged in the device before turning off the PC..like the Z87N-Wifi I had before this.

I have not overclocked it..yet. I may once I stop being lazy and install my AIO water cooler (Seidon 240M).

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Stock cooling for the processor for now, I needed to get up and running quick.

1. It's alright, I haven't installed the Asus drivers (just Windows 8.1 built in drivers) and I get a 216 to 300 megabit connection from my old WNDR 3700 netgear router on 5GHz. The router is two walls removed from my PC. Placement of the antenna is important, if I move the antenna around the signal can decrease to 108 megabits. I haven't had a connection drop in the two weeks I've had the motherboard.

2. Can't really say, some people seem to have compiled compatible coolers in a forum thread on the ROG forums. : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37141-Maximus-VI-Impact-Supported-CPU-coolers.

3. Definitely sub-20 second to Windows 8 with fast boot and my 512GB SSD. I haven't timed it but I could do this when I get home.

All fans are independently controllable which is super excellent, lol, but the auto fan control leaves a lot to be desired because it's based on some nonsensical CPU temp. The cpu temp is kind of accurate at idle, but under load it only goes up to around 45 degrees, whereas every other temp monitor rightfully detects core temps in the region of 60 to 70 degrees! Still, I'm just glad not to have to do the ole Molex 7V trick haha.

I haven't used the onboard sound, as I use a USB DAC.

It has a hardware implementation for iPhone charging while the PC is off, which is great. So you could plug in a mobile device after the computer has been shut off and still get it to charge. Some motherboards require you to have plugged in the device before turning off the PC..like the Z87N-Wifi I had before this.

I have not overclocked it..yet. I may once I stop being lazy and install my AIO water cooler (Seidon 240M).

Thank you for the feedback! One of my main concerns was wireless performance. I think that boot / post times could be tweaked in the BIOS in order to make it shorter. Regarding fan controls, I think Asus boards have the best setup out there

I just measured the boot time from button press to the Win 8 logon screen: 14 seconds.

edit: I also have, I think, enabled a 1 second delay at post so that I can hit Del to enter the bios, not that it's necessary because there's utility called DirectBios or something that you can click in Windows and it will reboot the PC into the Bios.

I'd say 14 seconds is right in line with most boards, better even considering the extra add on cards with this board. Thanks for the info again

Anyone use Aquacomputer active xcs VGA backplate with M6I?

I am doubt that active backplate will wedged with ram tenon

Back