Looking for the best video card that is compatible with WIndows 98

Droogie128

Weaksauce
I'm planning out a 98 rig for my girlfriend. She's a retro streamer, and likes to use original hardware whenever possible. I figure a 98 rig for retro PC games would be fun. I'm just not sure what graphics card to go with. I was thinking about a Geforce 4 ti 4200, as the 4400 and up tend to have heat issues. Do newer cards like the FX 5000 series and 6000 series have good compatibility with 98?

Here is what I have found that has worked very well for me in my well used retro gaming system without spending an arm and a leg. The prices on good AGP cards have gotten kinda crazy and I discovered these somewhat by accident. The FX5200 has a bad reputation but this Asus has the full 128-bit memory bus and is faster then the Geforce 3 that I was using before it died. If you get one, definitely replace the dried out thermal compound!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-V9520...021285&hash=item4dad47d632:g:2r0AAOSw6Spe3aOh

Keep in mind these are the last Nvidia generation that supports Table Fog and 8-bit Paletted Textures. I have found on my system with this card overclocked I can play games up to 2004 or so such as Unreal Tournament 2004, Max Payne 2, Call of Duty etc at 1024x768 whcih actually looks fine on my 24" 1366x768 Samsung TV/monitor using a DVI to HDMI adapter. I am most likely CPU limited by my Socket 423 P4. I use 56.64 drivers as they seem to work best and I have tried many driver versions as I've tweaked/perfected my system. 45.23 is the other "good" Win9x driver. DOS compatibility has been great so far!

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Period specific? Voodoo3, tnt2. Those are my suggestions.
Doesn't have to be period specific, just period compatible. I'm fine going with later model stuff, as long as drivers work. In fact, I'm a firm believer in "there's no such thing as overkill".

I think I'm going to do a socket A/462 Athlon xp build for it. I had a 2500+ Barton chip back in the day, and I'd like to play with that legendary cpu again.

Yeah that should be a fun one, huge socket A fan here. Had a 2500+ Barton in an Abit NF7-S with a X1950 pro.

BTW what type of games are you running? I had little trouble running games for win98 on windows 10, except for the 16bit installer.

Back