Looking for the best 27" or 30" Display for me

RickDMer

n00b
Must have:
  • Accurate color
  • Deep blacks
  • Very low input lag
  • High resolution (2560 x 1600 or 2560 x 1440)

Right now I'm looking at:
  • 27" Apple LED Cinema Display
  • 30" HP Performance ZR30w Professional
  • 30" DELL 3007WFP
  • 27" DELL U2711
  • 27" Hazro HZ27WC (If I can find one)

Could any of you guys give me some input as to which monitor you think would be best? With the Dells, are there any revisions I should avoid that are worse than the rest? I will likely be buying used.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
What sources will you use with your monitor? Anything other than your computer?

RickDMer,

How soon do you need this display? If you can hold out for a few weeks, the Samsung 27" 2560x1440 SA850 ships very soon. Early previews of the display look VERY nice and a review sample should be shipping to c|net soon, according to Eric Franklin.
http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consum...ype=prd_detail&subsubtype=sa650-and-sa850-led

Apple has no input lag and is a very nice (I love my LED Cinema Display 27"), but it is glossy which may be a problem for some depending on lighting conditions. HP and DELL monitors have an EXTREMELY aggressive anti-glare coating. It washes out "whites" and makes the panels look very "dusty" or "frosty" looking. Text has a very visible "sparkle" effect. Hazro is only sold in the UK, and warranty support may be iffy. Samsung will be using a mildly coated anti-reflective panel. Preview models are reported to have no glare (unlike the Apple) and no "sparkle" effect (unlike HP and DELL). It will also be sold in North America (unlike Hazro). Win. Win. And Win.

Last edited:
Apple Cinema display if you want deep blacks. I just switched from a U2711 to a 24" ACD, and the it's a pretty big difference in color quality. I really don't like the AG coating on the Dells.

If you can hold out for a few weeks, the Samsung 27" 2560x1440 SA850 ships very soon. Early previews of the display look VERY nice and a review sample was just sent to c|net..

I agree that one should wait a while to see how the S27A850 performs, but I think you're not being completely objective about it. First off, there's been just one single preview published as far as I know (the Xbit-labs one was just a translation of the original Russian preview conducted way back in May), and it was done with a pre-production unit. Secondly, there were draw-backs to the monitor as well, such as the really poor contrast ratio and back light sorely lacking in uniformity.

And where have you gotten your info that a review sample has just been sent to c|net? I'm honestly just curious about this, and really hope it is true!

Lastly, Hazro does ship Worldwide, I think the WA/WC models had free shipping to the states earlier, but I don't know if this is the case anymore. The company management seems to have gotten a bit better as of late too.

And where have you gotten your info that a review sample has just been sent to c|net? I'm honestly just curious about this, and really hope it is true!

Ah, you know, I think I was wrong in saying that. But Eric Franklin over at c|net did say that he is expecting a review unit very soon. So even if it hasn't shipped, I would think he should def. get it before the summer is over. And OP, imho your best bet would be the Apple LED Cinema Display 27" or wait and see how the Samsung performs.

This is the first I've heard of that Samsung. That monitor looks great.

Finally a monitor with a motion sensor on it to determine if someone is actually using it. This tech should have been implemented years ago.

I have Apple 27" also and to me there's input lag..can tell during COD4 when I switch from aiming down the site..also IMHO the IPS glow on the corners are pretty bad for a 1k monitor. It's a nice monitor but I guess I was expecting more.

Apple Cinema display if you want deep blacks.

The ACD does not have deep blacks, the black level is high, just like the rest of the 24-30" IPS panels. When placed infront of a light source the reflective nature of the glossy panel gives the illusion of deeper blacks.

Only the Hazro HZ27WA/C Review have high contrast/good blacks.

I would wait for reviews of the Samsung PLS displays, before making a decision, but stay far away from the Dell/HP's due to the aggressive AG coating and low contrast/high black levels.

Last edited:
The requirements you listed immediately makes me think ZR30W. The deep blacks is always debatable with any panel, but the ZR30W has the lowest input lag hands down. The AG coating is also mild compared to others.

the NEC PA271W can be had for near $1200 if you know where to look and will blow the other displays out of the water on picture quality, barring the awful AG coating of course.

Its input lag is around 35ms/2 frames..which is middling, but acceptable for most people.

*edit*
Provantage has that Samsung listed on "backorder" for about $900

http://www.provantage.com/samsung-s27a850d~7SAMD0RC.htm

I don't know if they just jumped the gun and guessed, or whether this is any indication of what the RRP will be.

Last edited:
Black depth is a measured value, deep blacks mean that the value is below a certain point, all of the large IPS panels except the Hazros have high black values.

Needing accurate color and deep blacks disqualifies the wide gamut, low contrast ZR30W. The NEC will only blow peoples wallets out of the water. The ACD and Hazro displays will always look much better due to the glossy screens.

Last edited:
Needing accurate color and deep blacks disqualifies the wide gamut ZR30W and NEC which both have very low contrast.

I can understand the low contrast claim, but accurate color reproduction is pretty much the only thing the NEC is about?

Yes, but having super low delta e values makes a negligible difference in real life beyond a certain point. Super accurate color does not mean anything if white+light colors look dulled and dirtied/grainy due to low contrast and aggressive AG coating.

I wish the hazro displays were avaliable in N/A!

Last edited:
Yes, but having super low delta e values makes a negligible difference in real life beyond a certain point. Super accurate color does not mean anything if white+light colors look dulled and dirtied/grainy due to low contrast and aggressive AG coating.

I wish the hazro displays were avaliable in N/A!

Welp. I was leaning towards the NEC after discovering the doublesight 27" only had 8bit internal processing.

AFAIK Hazro will ship for $71 and can process intl. cc payments now from what I could work out on their webiste... works out at about $920 for one of their 27" models.

The NEC is a waste of $, and they are all 8bit, you need a special high end Nvidia/AMD gpu for true 10 bit .

I would wait for the release of the samsung pls displays before buying....

If you've got a good eye, you can get a 3007wfp for around $400. The lowest I payed for one was $300 from a pawnshop in VA Beach.

I'm considering Hazro HZ27WA or WC. According to the most reviews, It is not only cheaper than others, but also has great picture quality.

I want a 27 or a 30" but i dont know if im willing to take the performance hit. i do have an imac 27" screen is nice, but the way im positioned with it its hard to see somethings sometimes. DECISIONS!

The ACD does not have deep blacks, the black level is high, just like the rest of the 24-30" IPS panels. When placed infront of a light source the reflective nature of the glossy panel gives the illusion of deeper blacks.

Only the Hazro HZ27WA/C Review have high contrast/good blacks.

I would wait for reviews of the Samsung PLS displays, before making a decision, but stay far away from the Dell/HP's due to the aggressive AG coating and low contrast/high black levels.

That review shows us that the black levels on ACD 27" can get low enough to register 0 on the I1D2, so how do you infer that?

You can criticize contrast ratio being less than 1000:1 but when the previous page here http://www.anandtech.com/show/3946/apple-27inch-led-cinema-display-review/5 says that the black level can get so low that the I1D2 has problems registering it, that tells me something.

Yes, due to contrast ratio being what it is this requires a super dark display, but if the contrast ratio is still around 850:1 you are going to see .14 cdm/2 blacks at 120 cdm/2 whites and in the night time when it matters, black can go super low.

I agree on waiting for better representative units from Samsung for the 24" and 27" SA850 (which I'm also very interested in) but don't criticize something that is exemplary.

That review shows us that the black levels on ACD 27" can get low enough to register 0 on the I1D2, so how do you infer that?.

Reading was taken at minimum luminance which has no place in reality because most people do not want to use a screen with <10cdm/2 brightness, and the i1D2 can't read below 0.03cdm/2.

837:1 is actually almost average @210cdm/2, but turn off the lights and the IPS glow will show its colors. I serisouly doubt the ACD can achieve 0.14 @120cdm/2, but it still easily beats the 30 inchers. If only the ACD was not such a rip off!

Reading was taken at minimum luminance which has no place in reality because most people do not want to use a screen with <10cdm/2 brightness, and the i1D2 can't read below 0.03cdm/2.

837:1 is actually almost average @210cdm/2, but turn off the lights and the IPS glow will show its colors. I serisouly doubt the ACD can achieve 0.14 @120cdm/2, but it still easily beats the 30 inchers. If only the ACD was not such a rip off!

I only took issue with the statement that it does not have deep blacks, which it definitely does and can have. Blacks matter most when it's dark and you definitely don't need 210 cdm/2 in dark rooms. Even 90 cdm/2 is fine, meaning the black level can get fairly low.

In addition with the huge backlight regulation of over 420 cdm/2 there is tons of flexibility.

Rip-off? Yes, but it fits the OP's criteria pretty well, and if reflections can be managed, it's better than having to deal with that AG coating typical of LG panels.

I personally hate Apple but this ticks the most boxes.

Another kudos for the ZR30w...Love mine and to me the colors look amazing. :)

Must have:
  • Accurate color
  • Deep blacks
  • Very low input lag
  • High resolution (2560 x 1600 or 2560 x 1440)

lol @ ZR30W recommendations. People need to learn how to read and learn about they products they buy.

"But I bought it and like it":rolleyes:

lol @ ZR30W recommendations. People need to learn how to read and learn about they products they buy.

"But I bought it and like it":rolleyes:

He also stated he wanted "Very low input lag", which for a 30" pretty much narrows it down to the ZR30w.

No such thing as "deep blacks" on ANY LCD, of course perception of "deep blacks" is subjective. I think the blacks on the ZR30w are actually quite good for a LCD.

Wide gamut color also might not be the most accurate, but it sure looks better IMO. The monitor can be calibrated as well..

We get it you don't like the Dell or the HP 30". Doesn't change the fact they are great monitors and most people like them.

He also stated he wanted "Very low input lag", which for a 30" pretty much narrows it down to the ZR30w.

No such thing as "deep blacks" on ANY LCD, of course perception of "deep blacks" is subjective. I think the blacks on the ZR30w are actually quite good for a LCD.

Wide gamut color also might not be the most accurate, but it sure looks better IMO.

We get it you don't like the Dell or the HP 30". Doesn't change the fact they are great monitors and most people like them.

For low input lag, you can't beat the Dell 3007WFP / 3007WFP-HC and from what I understand the ZR30w is just as good on that note. It's also a newer panel and a good buy as I understand it. Right now with regard to LCD's the perfect monitor for everyone and everything just doesn't exist. There are always trade offs with these things.

I wished i have $729 for SAMSUNG S27A950D Black 27" 2ms Full HD 3D LED BackLight LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DCR 1,000,000:1 (1,000:1). It has beautiful bezel and design. There is no review about Samsung S27A950D compare to Dell U2711 or Apple Cinema Display 27".

For 30" monitor, i prefer HP ZR30 and Dell U3011 for gaming, editing, and photography. Apple Cinema Display 30" monitor is excellent monitor for editing and photography but horrible for gaming.

~SNIPPED~
For 30" monitor, i prefer HP ZR30 and Dell U3011 for gaming, editing, and photography. Apple Cinema Display 30" monitor is excellent monitor for editing and photography but horrible for gaming.

I have all kinds of issues with the above statement. The U3011 has much more input lag than the ZR30 or Apple Cinema Display due to having a scaler. Also I prefer the any other 30" model over the ACD due to it's muted tones (generally flat color) and in my completely subjective opinion crappy overall picture.

Let me dig up a completely non-calibrated, non light controlled picture of them right next to each other.
101_2744.jpg

I agree about the input lag... additionally some lcd's with scalers have a very long delay on startup and resolution switching, missing post screens etc.

input-lag_dell-u3011.jpg

input_lag.jpg

input-lag_ACD-zr30w.png

....................................................................................................
Let me dig up a completely non-calibrated, non light controlled picture of them right next to each other.
...I know you said no lighting control etc.. but your picture is really useless considering that. There is a ton of light blasting the central monitor for one thing, which makes it look pale compared to both the side monitors. Also, our eyes perceive contrast differently than a camera does in relation to room lighting design in general.
acd-color.png

As I've said before, colorspace testing is usually done in dark rooms with the testing device right up against the panel. I doubt that the highest ratings are perceived as such to the human eye at viewing distance, with the panel flooded with light. That is one reason the high end nec's come with a three sided monitor hood - to reduce image degredation caused by light pollution. Furthermore, the over-aggressive AG coatings on other mfg's IPS displays have been reported to screw up the way whites look, which is a pretty common background color when doing color specific work. They also compromise fine details like text, so may compromise fine details in authored art and photos. So as you can see, the higher rated colorspaces may not be so much to the human eye in an improper/light-polluted environment and having a thick crystal/greasy glaze on top of the screen.

The acd is very lush and vibrant, imo the glossy screen enhances it. Unless you are holding up color swatches to your screen or work in magazine publishing I doubt you'll see any difference with the ACD's 83.1 % adobeRGB 1998 in real human eye viewing.

I think he's talking about the rightmost 30" having the flat picture, elvn.

...point still stands.. photos give a false impression of saturation IRL. In fact in several of my pictures over the years the higher contrast and superior color range panel in dual setups would show up as the worse of the two in the picture. You also have to tweak and calibrate your monitor of course, and with inferior to pva contrast levels you have to pick how pale or dark you want your blacks vs details in blacks being lost at some point .. which is also affected by your room lighting as far as your human eyes percieve it. I think if anything glossy makes the colors more lush and pop. An over-aggressive AG coating over the top isn't going to make it better either, especially if it makes you think you can allow light pollution from direct lighting on your screen where you might think you are "immune" to it having AG (imo).

regarding the over-aggressive AG coating on the current gen of LG ips screens .. (u2711 thread)
I don't know if it's just me, but in my environment I found the AG coating to actually be WORSE than reflections. The coating was so aggressive, looking at the panel at a slight angle under fluorescent lighting would cause a "white out" effect. It would look like there was a bright "blob" floating over the screen. LG tried to kill a fly by launching an atomic bomb.

Back