Looking for that good Orinoco WiFi Card

M

MrSmegzabush

I had a PCMCIA card for my lappy that worked fine until my roomate lost it. After beating him repeatedly, i sat down and read that orinoco makes the best WiFI cards out there. Catch is that you have to get the classic model. Im not sure if they still make them or not but however i do need a good wifi card. And if anybody knows how to find the "older and better" orinoco card could you help me out please?

Edit: Would this happen to be the one that is so great

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45000&item=5700265033&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
any orinoco gold card. the silvers are good too, just lower encryption capabilities. look for lucent, avaya, and dell cards too, because they just repackage orinoco cards. i have a lucent one myself.

good luck!

is anyone aware if orinoco makes a usb b/g card. I have the usb b gold card and it works awesome. I pick up about 7 different AP's from my room in my apartment complex while my roomate one room over using netgear can only pick up about half of the AP's I see.

I'm willing to spend the extra dough for the awesome stability I've had with orinoco.

My friend got a ORiNOCO card and it took me ALL FREAKING DAY to get it working, its a gold, I used the proxim classic gold to get it working, it seems somwhat more stabler than my Dlink but not as fast (I only used it for a few minutes and what not, no real hard testing) and with using netstumbler it didn't see the APs that I know I can see as strong, although it had a steady 100% connection with my AP (something my dlink never does) I didn't do distnace testing.

All I can say about setting up the card is this: when you are going to install the control program, make sure that it isn't newer than the drivers and matched with the drivers, secondly if the drivers you are installing is giving you the fits or isn't taking, try going to windows and open up the device properties and clicking the uninstall button, then install the drivers.

I used to use the Orinoco Gold cards, but I always had problems with Windows hanging when I booted up with it in. I went with the Cicso 350 card and never had a problem again. I wouls say ditch the Orinoco if you can and go with the Cisco. Of the cards I have used I think they are the best (used: Orinoco, Linksys, Netgear, Buslink, Cisco)

I have an Orinoco classic gold and haven't had a problem with it yet. Only thing is if you use it with linux, you have to patch it to get it into monitor mode. Only takes 2 seconds though.

Back