Looking for tablet for mom

berky

2[H]4U
My mom was originally looking to get a webcam so she could skype with me to see her grandson a little more often. I suggested about a tablet instead so she could do it from anywhere she could find a wifi connection, and also use it for other things.

so, I think she's convinced and now i'm looking for something with the following req's.

1. 10" highly preferred; would maybe consider 7", but I need her to get one in her hand to ensure she would like the 7"
  2. Cheap as possible (under 250-300ish), but must be a quality tablet; not going to get her some chinese ripoff tablet that breaks or has all sorts of problems
  3. since skype was the primary objective, must have front camera and be of decent enough quality for my son to be able to see what he's looking at
  4. obviously must be able to handle processing skype and have wifi (3g/4g not required, and probably not wanted due to extra cost)
  5. should have pretty good battery life, but isn't the most pressing requirement
  6. she'll probably also use it for web browsing, email, reading books, etc. very basic usage
  7. shouldn't need much storage, but ability to add external (CF) storage a plus

so, that's about it. any suggestions?

thanks.

Got a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab from QVC with flex pay for my mom. It has internal 16Gb and a MicroSD slot. She Skypes, does Facebook and kills a lot of pigs with it. She loves it.

My cousin has a Toshiba Thrive that she won't let go of. It's cheaper than the Samsung but still very nice.

iPad 2, but if you can afford it, the iPad 3. Mom doesn't need an Android device. Set her up with iCloud. If she has an iPhone, Photostream will make transferring pictures easy. Nothing beats the quality of photos on the iPad 3. You can send them to her using iMessage (if you have an iDevice) or you can just skype. Your mom will love the extra resolution of the iPad 3. Don't underestimate the value of the enhanced resolution for everyday use. A tablet is ALL about the screen. You can buy the 3G/4G version, activate it, then turn it off. Use it when needed or on travel. The GPS chip only comes with the 3G/4G model (sadly). The LTE on Verizon is amazing and common.

so it almost sounds like my proposed budget is unrealistic for a 10"?

for 250-300 you can get a lot of tablets such as acer, transformer, toshiba in that range

For your budget, you can look for refurbs, sales, prior gens or *maybe* you can get Skype on an HP TouchPad from eBay (not sure if it has good books though; you can't put Android on it since it doesn't support the camera). Otherwise look into the 7-inchers.

for that budget, shoot for a used ipad 2 or a new nexus 7. iOS would be a lot easier for her to learn and use (unless shes into tech stuff). my mom has a droid razr, and.......... /facepalm

Your mom probably doesn't care about specs and all that other crap.

iPad.

If she is a tech person, Nexus 7. I know it is hard for some people to believe here, but not everyone wants to fuck with every little setting.

she's definitely not a "tech" person, but I have her using Linux Mint on her desktop and she does just fine with it.

She currently has a blackberry phone, and I personally think they are harder to learn than both iphone and android.

anyway, i can't justify the cost of an iPad unless I found a super great deal on one.

for android, if she tells me she's ok with 7", i definitely think the Nexus 7 is the way to go. If not, I'm not not sure what to go with. I'll certainly consider an iPad 2, but I doubt that's the best way to go simply because I am her tech support and my knowledge of apple products is limited.

So, here's the recommendations I have so far:

Nexus 7
iPad 2 (used/refurb) (i'm not getting her a refurb, and I'm hesitant on used)
Acer xxxxx ??
Asus Transformer
Toshiba (I assume thrive... but those excite's do look pretty sweet)

Also, how important is it to get a cover for it?

If you live in a city that has an Apple store, you can sign her up for a training session. They are free.

Honestly, the only two things that ought to be on your list at the nexus 7 and the iPad. All the rest are just so wrong headed that you'd be better off just waiting until the iPad Mini or whatever it will be called appears. This should happen by 9/12.

Go with an ipad 2. If she isnt tech savvy then she wont apreciate a hq display or android. iPad 2 = high quality and easy to use

If you live in a city that has an Apple store, you can sign her up for a training session. They are free.

Honestly, the only two things that ought to be on your list at the nexus 7 and the iPad. All the rest are just so wrong headed that you'd be better off just waiting until the iPad Mini or whatever it will be called appears. This should happen by 9/12.

you seem to be very adamant about the ipads. i really don't see much of a difference between android and apple in terms of usability. I'd like to know what exactly is so much easier? I had an iPhone 3 a long while ago and now I have an Android. I just don't think there's HUGE differences... at least not with how my mom would use it.

you seem to be very adamant about the ipads. i really don't see much of a difference between android and apple in terms of usability. I'd like to know what exactly is so much easier? I had an iPhone 3 a long while ago and now I have an Android. I just don't think there's HUGE differences... at least not with how my mom would use it.

Let's put it this way.

Outside of the Nexus 7, the Android tablet metaphor is closer to that of a desktop; you have a taskbar, and apps on the desktop are shortcuts that you have to manage separately. While I won't claim that it's all that difficult, it's not really as much of a break as it could be. Compare that to the iPad: that icon grid might not be very customizable, but it makes app launching and management extremely fast and simple. There are elements of complexity if you want, like the notification drawer and multitasking -- but they stay out of the way if you don't know they're there.

However, Android apps on tablets face the opposite problem: they're often just phone apps with no optimization at all. Google's mobile VP Andy Rubin has actively despised the idea of tablet-first apps, and Google Play has no way to sort between tablet- and phone-native titles. You're looking at over 225,000 iPad-native apps versus just a few thousand tablet apps for Android. Which do you think is likely to have the apps that make your mom happy?

The Nexus 7 is a pretty solid tablet, but a large part of that (other than the killer price/performance ratio) stems from Google simply dropping a lot of those ambitions of competing directly with the iPad. It's a much more phone-like UI, and the smaller screen size means Rubin can't sabotage his own platform as much; an unoptimized phone app will still work decently. In a sense, it's Google circumventing its own weaknesses rather than curing them.

My one hesitation on smaller tablets might be timing. Apple may have a 7.85-inch iPad out in September. Given that it's likely to cost $249 to $299, that model theoretically kills two birds with one stone, doesn't it? It'd be bigger than the Nexus 7 if the (increasingly probable) rumours are accurate, and cost the same or only slightly more while offering a superior app ecosystem.

I just bought a Acer Iconia A500 from Walmart.com for around $230.00 with free shipping. It is a refurbished but mine appeared to be untouched. I promptly OTA to ice cream sandwich and have been very pleased with it. Walmart has a no questions ask return policy just return it your nearest store for money back if not satisfied. Really can't go wrong.

I own a Ipad2 and three Android tablets. Both have there strong points. I happen to prefer Android. But calling something wrong headed is well wrong wrong headed. :mad:
Fanboy

The iPad is simpler to use and set up. Less configurable and less that you need to set up. For a mom, especially. And she can go to an Apple store and get training on all of the other stuff that might be confusing.

The iPad is simpler to use and set up. Less configurable and less that you need to set up. For a mom, especially. And she can go to an Apple store and get training on all of the other stuff that might be confusing.

And then you will need to set her up with iTunes which in my opinion is such a joy to use. As I said I own a iPad2 that is a godsend for my son with autism. Android has nothing to compare for that purpose. But for day to day use I think it's a mistake to dismiss Android tablets out right. My wife is definitely not tech savvy and she loves her Iconia A100.

I own a Ipad2 and three Android tablets. Both have there strong points. I happen to prefer Android. But calling something wrong headed is well wrong wrong headed. :mad:
Fanboy

Dude....read my sig....I'm no fanboy. Go look in the thread in this subforum on the Google Nexus 7. I simply think that for a mom, most moms, the iPad is a better choice. Forgive me for trying to help the guy's mom out.

I just bought a Acer Iconia A500 from Walmart.com for around $230.00 with free shipping. It is a refurbished but mine appeared to be untouched. I promptly OTA to ice cream sandwich and have been very pleased with it. Walmart has a no questions ask return policy just return it your nearest store for money back if not satisfied. Really can't go wrong.

If you are pleased with an A500 compared to the other tabs out there, you simply have low standards. That device is heavy, has a poor screen, short battery life, and ICS is just clunky. It is not a good device to promote Android.

If you are pleased with an A500 compared to the other tabs out there, you simply have low standards. That device is heavy, has a poor screen, short battery life, and ICS is just clunky. It is not a good device to promote Android.

OK I also have a TF101 Transformer I purchased it when it was newly released is that more to your liking? I know you are just trying to help his mother so am I. For average day to day use there absolutely nothing wrong with either a A500 or a TF101. The opening post stated he wanted a ten inch tablet for not alot of money. You suggested a tablet obviously over his budget. And one that was not a ten inch. Many people use the ones that I mention everyday with no complaints just check out XDA. For the prices they can be had for at this time unless you are truly picky or a hardcore user which I doubt his mother is i find they work very well. Notice I also mentioned they have a no questions asked return policy if she is not happy. As far as my standards I know what works for me. As I said I have a IPad2 and just cannot enjoy it no matter how much I try. You could be right she very well enjoy a ipad. And that is great but so say something is wrong headed is stupid.

OK I also have a TF101 Transformer I purchased it when it was newly released is that more to your liking? I know you are just trying to help his mother so am I. For average day to day use there absolutely nothing wrong with either a A500 or a TF101. The opening post stated he wanted a ten inch tablet for not alot of money. You suggested a tablet obviously over his budget. And one that was not a ten inch. Many people use the ones that I mention everyday with no complaints just check out XDA. For the prices they can be had for at this time unless you are truly picky or a hardcore user which I doubt his mother is i find they work very well. Notice I also mentioned they have a no questions asked return policy if she is not happy. As far as my standards I know what works for me. As I said I have a IPad2 and just cannot enjoy it no matter how much I try. You could be right she very well enjoy a ipad. And that is great but so say something is wrong headed is stupid.

So you point to XDA an example of happy users like his mom? Do you know how much the A500 with ICS FCes? What happens when he encounters the file system on an Android tablet? Or she has to spend all her time trying to find apps when the load? Android is clearly for those who wish to spend a lot of time tinkering with their stuff. I think if she was inclined as someone who would want android, she'd have one by now. I don't give a hoot about what you say, you're wrong. And iPad is better for her. So what if it is a little more expensive, it's for his mom. He can make an exception and get her the best. Just because you don't enjoy an iPad 2 doesn't mean jack, there are millions of users out there who simply disagree with you.

So you point to XDA an example of happy users like his mom? Do you know how much the A500 with ICS FCes? What happens when he encounters the file system on an Android tablet? Or she has to spend all her time trying to find apps when the load? Android is clearly for those who wish to spend a lot of time tinkering with their stuff. I think if she was inclined as someone who would want android, she'd have one by now. I don't give a hoot about what you say, you're wrong. And iPad is better for her. So what if it is a little more expensive, it's for his mom. He can make an exception and get her the best. Just because you don't enjoy an iPad 2 doesn't mean jack, there are millions of users out there who simply disagree with you.

Fine fine I have no force closes with mine. Maybe it is user error on your part. I hope both he and his mother both enjoy whatever they decide to purchase. You are a fanboy and nothing else. As I said earlier both have there strong points. Simply dismissing android outright I think is a mistake. I wish them well. As for you grow up.:D

Fine fine I have no force closes with mine. Maybe it is user error on your part. I hope both he and his mother both enjoy whatever they decide to purchase. You are a fanboy and nothing else. As I said earlier both have there strong points. Simply dismissing android outright I think is a mistake. I wish them well. As for you grow up.:D

Not user error at all....ICS is well known to FC all the time and is also laggy. Quit lying.

Not user error at all....ICS is well known to FC all the time and is also laggy. Quit lying.

Again I use mine everyday and do not have any problems. Also my son has to use his ipad2 for communication and it works wonderfully. Why would I lie? I don't own stock on Google. If you will look on Amazon or Walmart.com at the reviews most by far are positive. I am done playing. Again whatever the gentleman buys for his mother I hope they enjoy. Have a good evening. Now don't call me a liar again.:mad:

Grab one of the asus transformers on groupon? right now. Its like $300 w/ the keyboard dock.

Thanks for all the suggestions... I'm still torn.... at least until she can get her hands on a 7" to let me know if she'd be ok with that size. The new iPad mini sounds like a nice compromise between size and price, if it truly is in the 250-300 range. I know many people still are recommending the iPad 2, but I can't find any under 300, even used (they are all non-buy-it-now prices that will likely go over 300). Since my mom has limited funds, I really don't want to go over 300. a few bucks would be ok, if it was very close, but I have to set 300 as the max.

I'll also say that I could definitely convince her to wait til the fall if that would be best. Right now, that's how I'm leaning. With the iPad mini and potential for the Nexus 10, I may have to just wait for now.

I don't think Android is any harder to use than Apple. My mother likes the Nexus 7, she isn't going to use loads of apps. Internet, Youtube, Iplayer, email, weather would be all she would ever use.

I think I'll give her mine when the Nexus10 comes out. I prefer a bigger tab, (I have a phone for checking stuff). But that's another thread...

Dude....read my sig....I'm no fanboy. Go look in the thread in this subforum on the Google Nexus 7. I simply think that for a mom, most moms, the iPad is a better choice. Forgive me for trying to help the guy's mom out.

The iPad is a good recommendation, but it doesn't really fit his price point.

Android tablets are downright trivial to use.

Tablets in general are far easier to use and figure out than PCs or laptops.

If your budget is 400, then Acer's Tegra 3 or the Transformer Pad 300 is pretty good.

Or a touchpad from craigslist haha.

I didnt have any problems with an Acer A500 those are very reasonably priced I would check that out.

As far as ease of use, all tablets are pretty much the same. You must teach a person 2 new tricks, pinch, long press, once they learn those and to try them they can get around just fine. Those apply to any tablet on any company.

The rest only matters to people who are going to do more advanced things. Put icons to, email, web etc on the home screen and there is nothing more to do / learn.

I didnt have any problems with an Acer A500 those are very reasonably priced I would check that out.

As far as ease of use, all tablets are pretty much the same. You must teach a person 2 new tricks, pinch, long press, once they learn those and to try them they can get around just fine. Those apply to any tablet on any company.

The rest only matters to people who are going to do more advanced things. Put icons to, email, web etc on the home screen and there is nothing more to do / learn.

that's what i've always thought as well. she will only use it for a few basic things. she doesn't need to customize anything, and apple/android both work without customization.

i'll check out the a500 as well.

does anyone know anyone that has, or does anyone have themselves, a toshiba thrive? i've read a few good things (and a few bad just like anything else) and i've seen them go for around 200 on ebay.

I quite like my Blackberry playbook for "a few basic things" and I expect them to get cheaper soon (like this week or next) when the updated Blackberry Playbook comes out... ?

But I think most folks prefer Android or Apple simply for the abundance of apps compared to the BBPB.

that's what i've always thought as well. she will only use it for a few basic things. she doesn't need to customize anything, and apple/android both work without customization.

does anyone know anyone that has, or does anyone have themselves, a toshiba thrive? i've read a few good things (and a few bad just like anything else) and i've seen them go for around 200 on ebay.

Why would you get her a heavy a500 with a relatively poor screen when you can get her a Google Nexus 7 for $200? Even an a200 or a100 would be better, but the Nexus is the Android tab to get, especially for someone you claim doesn't need a lot of features.

Why does she need a 10-inch screen anyway? I guarantee you if you get her an a500 it will become a useless brick. If you have to have 10-inches, consider a Le Pan 2.

If you can't afford to save up for an iPad, or wait for a mini, then the Nexus is what you want. It is the best Android experience you can get. Now. And she will use it because it is light and snappy with an attractive screen. Believe me, these features make a difference.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why would you get her a heavy a500 with a relatively poor screen when you can get her a Google Nexus 7 for $200? Even an a200 or a100 would be better, but the Nexus is the Android tab to get, especially for someone you claim doesn't need a lot of features.

Why does she need a 10-inch screen anyway? I guarantee you if you get her an a500 it will become a useless brick. If you have to have 10-inches, consider a Le Pan 2.

If you can't afford to save up for an iPad, or wait for a mini, then the Nexus is what you want. It is the best Android experience you can get. Now. And she will use it because it is light and snappy with an attractive screen. Believe me, these features make a difference.

Because he said he wanted a 10 inch screen? lol , no one disagrees the nexus is a better value but sometimes people want certain features. This is how things roll with all these laptops, tablets and phones. My parents bought the epic 4g even after the S2 was out because they wanted the hardware keyboard.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I LOVE my Thrive, especially now that it got ICS a couple of days ago. But it's kind of a geek tablet with full size USB, HDMI, and SD ports - it's a bit chunky - a little chunkier than the original ipad.

1saleaday had them for $199 yesterday.

If the focus was on skype, shouldn't you focus more on the front-facing camera quality? I seem to remember the Nexus's camera was kind of mediocre...?

I'd say the "safest" bet would be to wait a bit for a deal on the original Asus Transformer - it's a well-supported / well-vetted tab and it's been under $200 a couple of times recently.

I'm amused by all of the suggestions of $300-$400 tablets like an ipad 2 when he was looking for something slightly pricier than a standalone webcam at closer to $200.

Because he said he wanted a 10 inch screen? lol , no one disagrees the nexus is a better value but sometimes people want certain features. This is how things roll with all these laptops, tablets and phones. My parents bought the epic 4g even after the S2 was out because they wanted the hardware keyboard.

She will quickly fall out of love with the a500. It's a greek toy. She is going to
want something light and snappy. She likely doesn't know what she wants if she is
new to tabs. Heavy is not a feature that most women like.

I get your point about your parents wanting a keyboard on the phone, but they had a place to start from as they had a prior phone.

Back