Looking For Suggestions For My Proposed Build Please

phorkz

Limp Gawd
The Build
Screenshot (10).png

Notes
  • PSU and GPU i already have from a previous build, these are locked in, yes i am aware the PSU is overkill. Will be changing to Nvidia 3xxx when released.
  • Do not wish to switch to an AMD CPU, yes i am aware of the value per dollar of AMD currently.
  • Do not care for RGB, prefer performance over looks.
  • Machine to be used for gaming, 2560x1440 resolution, 165hz. Possibility to switch to 4K in the future.
  • Games this will be used for vary wildly.However Cyberpunk2077 and similar caliber titles will be the most played.
  • Prices are from Australian stores, so will seem expensive(because they are) to those of you from other countries.
  • Looking to OC the CPU to 5-5.1GHZ across all cores, air cooled gpu will be slightly OC'd aswell
  • Actually plan on having 6 case fans(NF-S12A) for intake, not the listed 3, couldnt fit them in the SS. NF-F12 will be for radiator.
  • Not sure on the Mobo, i do not need wifi.
  • Looking to build within the next 3 months.
  • Will be using this machine for possibly 6-8 years. Hence the 'overkill'(still using 3770K @ 4.5ghz)
  • I appreciate your time spent helping me with this, thank you.

Last edited:
" Will be using this machine for possibly 6-8 years. Hence the 'overkill' "
Ok now it makes a bit more sense to spend the extra to get the latest and greatest processor. But Just for arguments sake have you considered what is the likely usage needs of the processor?
A good processor sure. But the video board is the key to good gaming. Will your needs demand the very top end processor or could you step down a level or two or maybe 6months and use something almost as good that will still provide way more than you need but at a much cheaper price. Of course part of that discussion is money an object to be worried about or does this basically have an unlimited budget.
You might want to update you bullets with what games you are looking to use this with.

Also, have you considered a board with more than one processor?
Is 32GB going to be enough? Make sure there are some extra slots available for future expansion since you want this to last 6-8 years.

I'm sure there are others with even more specific advice but you have a great start. And its great you are asking! Been there done that with people who go purchase and then holler that it doesn't do what they wanted completely.

" Will be using this machine for possibly 6-8 years. Hence the 'overkill' "
Ok now it makes a bit more sense to spend the extra to get the latest and greatest processor. But Just for arguments sake have you considered what is the likely usage needs of the processor?
A good processor sure. But the video board is the key to good gaming. Will your needs demand the very top end processor or could you step down a level or two or maybe 6months and use something almost as good that will still provide way more than you need but at a much cheaper price. Of course part of that discussion is money an object to be worried about or does this basically have an unlimited budget.
You might want to update you bullets with what games you are looking to use this with.

Also, have you considered a board with more than one processor?
Is 32GB going to be enough? Make sure there are some extra slots available for future expansion since you want this to last 6-8 years.

I'm sure there are others with even more specific advice but you have a great start. And its great you are asking! Been there done that with people who go purchase and then holler that it doesn't do what they wanted completely.
Thanks for your reply.

I have updated the OP with a little information relating to the types of games. Cyberpunk 2077 will be the main thing for awhile, with other AAA titles that are similarly demanding being the norm too.

Cost is not really an issue within reason, this build is sitting in my cart at $3k aud without the PSU and GPU.

I have not considered a board with two CPUs at all, if anyone has more information on this option I am interested in hearing it. I am not sure if 32GB will be enough, maybe I should purchase 2x16GB (instead of 4x8gb I have listed)sticks for now and grab two more down the line if required?

As for the usage needs of the processor, I believe with 8 core consoles coming out very soon, that game devs will be utilising more cores more regularly, this has influenced me enough to get the 10900k over the 10700k(along with my long term usage plans).

Will be using this machine for possibly 6-8 years. Hence the 'overkill'(still using 3770K @ 4.5ghz)

Don't do this. 6-8 years is far too long to expect a gaming system to be relevant. Throwing cash at it doesn't make it any less true. Scale back a bit, plan to get 3-4 years out of it, and any more is a bonus.

That the 3770k and other systems from around that time have been useful for so long is an aberration, and not a good benchmark on how long to expect new a system to last. Were it not for AMD tripping over its own feet, and Intel sandbagging in response as well as having its own issues, you would have had to upgrade years ago. Things have been picking back up in the last couple years, and in a few more I think the changes stand to be at least as substantial as what happened between the 3770k and now.

I have not considered a board with two CPUs at all, if anyone has more information on this option I am interested in hearing it. I am not sure if 32GB will be enough, maybe I should purchase 2x16GB (instead of 4x8gb I have listed)sticks for now and grab two more down the line if required?

As for the usage needs of the processor, I believe with 8 core consoles coming out very soon, that game devs will be utilising more cores more regularly, this has influenced me enough to get the 10900k over the 10700k(along with my long term usage plans).

32 GB RAM is a lot for gaming. With very few exceptions games rarely make use of >16 GB. You can get 2x8 GB now, and if future games do make use of more, get another set when needed.

You don't need two CPUs for gaming. You don't even need 10 cores. Currently most games target 2-4 cores. The new consoles will have eight cores (with one of those reserved for the OS IIRC), as noted, but it always takes a couple years or so for devs to really get a handle on and take advantage of the new hardware features. Most games are very "linear" (for lack of a better term) and finding things to optimize and spin off into new threads and processes isn't always easy or even worthwhile. I'd get the 10700k instead.

In order to support more cores, you're looking at High-End Desktop (HEDT) systems. Intel 'X' CPUs and AMD Threadripper. The increased core count comes with a large jump in cost and a decrease in clock speed. They can be used for and are often sold as gaming systems, but really that's not their strongest suit. Also, at least on the Intel side, they're often a generation behind. To support multiple CPUs you're looking at hugely expensive CPUs in just as costly high-end workstations that are built for stability and specific business uses, not gaming. Things like CPU and RAM overclocking, voltage tweaking, etc. aren't typically supported.

Don't do this. 6-8 years is far too long to expect a gaming system to be relevant. Throwing cash at it doesn't make it any less true. Scale back a bit, plan to get 3-4 years out of it, and any more is a bonus.

That the 3770k and other systems from around that time have been useful for so long is an aberration, and not a good benchmark on how long to expect new a system to last. Were it not for AMD tripping over its own feet, and Intel sandbagging in response as well as having its own issues, you would have had to upgrade years ago. Things have been picking back up in the last couple years, and in a few more I think the changes stand to be at least as substantial as what happened between the 3770k and now.

32 GB RAM is a lot for gaming. With very few exceptions games rarely make use of >16 GB. You can get 2x8 GB now, and if future games do make use of more, get another set when needed.

You don't need two CPUs for gaming. You don't even need 10 cores. Currently most games target 2-4 cores. The new consoles will have eight cores (with one of those reserved for the OS IIRC), as noted, but it always takes a couple years or so for devs to really get a handle on and take advantage of the new hardware features. Most games are very "linear" (for lack of a better term) and finding things to optimize and spin off into new threads and processes isn't always easy or even worthwhile. I'd get the 10700k instead.

In order to support more cores, you're looking at High-End Desktop (HEDT) systems. Intel 'X' CPUs and AMD Threadripper. The increased core count comes with a large jump in cost and a decrease in clock speed. They can be used for and are often sold as gaming systems, but really that's not their strongest suit. Also, at least on the Intel side, they're often a generation behind. To support multiple CPUs you're looking at hugely expensive CPUs in just as costly high-end workstations that are built for stability and specific business uses, not gaming. Things like CPU and RAM overclocking, voltage tweaking, etc. aren't typically supported.
Appreciate your response, thank you.

If you don't mind, would it be possible for you to throw something together on PCpartpicker for me to have a look at? Either way thank you, I will take what you have said on board.

From a practical standpoint, you would have a hard time telling the difference between a 10700K and a 10900K during general gaming/usage anyway, and the same goes for having 32gb over 16gb RAM, it doesnt really matter.

WITH THAT SAID, I am also running a 3770K (bought it for $230 on launch day at microcenter) and this board, so I completely understand the need to have the most badass main rig you can get :D

Nothing wrong with that, if youve got the budget for it I say go all out, especially if you keep systems for 6 - 8 years.

I’m probably going to get flamed for this.

I have recently done a whole lot of reasearch and come to the conclusion that you don’t go AIO if you want your system to last more than 3-5 years. The pumps work hard, and water evaporates through the pipes. This is not to say they can’t last longer, just that it seems that they generally don’t, certainly warranties don’t cover them more than 2 years typically.

Go high end air. Seeing as you seem to like Noctua, the NH-D15 is the direction I would lean

The alternative is an aliexpress (barrow/bykski) custom water cooling system running a DDC or D5 pump and car coolant (25% coolant seems to be optimal). You can get the parts shipped for about $100 more than your intended AIO

Last edited:
I get the idea of wanting the most you can get now. However, I think the 10900k is a bit overkill. You can definitely overclock the 10500k and the 10700k quite a bit. Given the thermals involved, running a high overclock on the 10900k is going to be more of a challenge. Just my thoughts on it. Though, you would hear no complaints of that were my system! A good build today can still game for several years. As the GPU is generally the primary driver, upgrading this in time will greatly benefit you.

No, that's not the case, water doesn't evaporate, but the water block needs repaste after that period of time and the pump doesn't work hard if you have the ability to adjust the speed for idle and load speeds when the temperature rises.

But certainly keeping a system for that long, an air cooler is a much better option

if that is so, why is an air cooler a better option? - Note you'd probably want to repaste most things in a 5 year timespan, though in my experience it completely depends on the paste you use.

Last edited:
I’m probably going to get flamed for this.

I have recently done a whole lot of reasearch and come to the conclusion that you don’t go AIO if you want your system to last more than 3-5 years. The pumps work hard, and water evaporates through the pipes. This is not to say they can’t last longer, just that it seems that they generally don’t, certainly warranties don’t cover them more than 2 years typically.

Go high end air. Seeing as you seem to like Noctua, the NH-D15 is the direction I would lean

The alternative is an aliexpress (barrow/bykski) custom water cooling system running a DDC or D5 pump and car coolant (25% coolant seems to be optimal). You can get the parts shipped for about $100 more than your intended AIO
My 3770K(4.5ghz) has been using a 240MM Corsair H100 from 2013 and is still currently running fine with good temps. I have re-pasted once in that time period.

Frankly then I think I'd stick with a brand that has a long warranty on the cooler if going AIO - eg NXZT (6y) or Corsair(5y). Rather than a Thermaltake (2y) or Arctic (2y)

Back