Looking for suggestions for mounting frameless fans to a heatsink.

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
I'd like to put an old Accelero heatsink to use on a GPU, but I've hit a wall when it comes to the "air" part of aircooling.

Any ideas for securing these three fans - without the use of zipties, preferably - would be greatly appreciated.

20191001_033414.jpg

Thanks for any help.

I know a one-piece bracket w/ fans can be ordered from Arctic for ~$14. I know 120mm fans can be used. Unfortunately neither bit of information helps with mounting the fans in the picture.

You could always glue the fans on though if one was to ever die it might be a bit of a pain to get off.

Some photos of the backs of the fans might help. I'm assuming they have some kind of tri-prong "bracket" attached to the motor hub.

You might try running screws between the heatsink fins. Really small screws, like M2s, might fit. If you get pan head ones, you can place the head on the fan bracket side and pray that it clears. Then get a fender washer and nut on the bottom side, snip the screw if needed, and pray that it clears too.

I'm assuming you don't like zip ties due to the meltage. Did you know that metal zip ties exist?

Electriduct 6" Stainless Steel Cable Ties Heavy Duty Metal Locking Zip Ties - 25 pieces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00666CYS8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_r-.KDb87SRJ0M

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking close at the picture I see the mounting tabs on the underside of the fans. So the fan itself is set up.

Is that the heatsink that the fans are to ventilate ?

Are you planning on any ducting or shrouding to direct the airflow properly ?

Any reason against rubber anti vibration mounting ?

The heatsink mounting flange looks to have spare boltholes that would be a solid anchor to a framework to bolt the fans to.

A planned duct/shroud could easily integrate fan mounting points while using the HS base as it's mount.

Hobby drones use tiny rubber mounts just right for mounting computer fans.

What VanGoghComplex said.

Maybe use hot glue. The fins never get hot enough to melt it and hairdryer pushes enough heat to melt it if you ever need to change fans. Be careful to not use too much because t doesn't take much to hold a fan in place.

All that said, why not use 3x 80/90mm or maybe 120mm framed fans like Arctic F80/F90 ziptied or glued together and ziptied to fins?
dcc2a612_ysktrctb.jpg

yRQwLe4.jpg

I use Goop for this. It dries hard, won't melt, and peels off when done.

Back