Looking for suggestions for i7-7700K cooler

Z

ZigmundVoid

Hey guys. I'm getting a i7-7700K to replace the 7600 in my system. Just discovered that the 7700K doesn't come with a cooler, so I've been looking into options. There are so many. Looking for one that is quiet, and (if possible) won't require me to remove my motherboard to install a back plate. I am considering both standard air coolers and AIO-type liquid cooling (which I have never used before).

Here's my current build.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv iTX Case
Asrock H270M-ITX/AC
i5-7600 (stock Intel cooler)
2x8GB G.Skill DDR4 3000 (running at 2400 due to choice of motherboard)
Plextor PX-512M8 512GB NVMe SSD
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB HDD

Thanks,

Z

I would recommend a single fan AIO cooler like the Corsair H60. Did really well for me when I was running it with a 7700K. Also, looking at the photos of your case online, it looks like you can simply remove the back case panel and have easy access to mount a back plate if needed.

I really like my Thermalright True Spirit 140. Great performance yet quiet. It cools almost as good as the popular Noctua coolers, but costs half as much.

It's a pretty big tower cooler, though (height 175mm). It looks like it will fit in that particular Phanteks case, which can handle a 195mm tall cooler (according to reviews).

What BlueWeasel said, but if you get a TRUE Spirit 140 Power make sure it's width does not make it overhang your PCIe sockets. What RAM do you plan to use? Where on Earth are you and what websites would you buy from? With that information and how much you are willing to spend we can give you some options. ;)

It always boils down to budget, aesthetic requirements if any and case. Your case can handle 200mm or 7.9" tall cooler which is plenty for most available but should be your first consideration. Water cooling is a separate issue you are either for it or against it but height isn't an issue. Your case can handle a 240 in front or up top but not always both at the same time and it will also support a 280 up top or a 120 in the rear but not both at the same time. Keep in mind it's a small case and air flow in the top is restrictive at best depending on what GPU you have the case can and will get quite warm especially if it's a custom air cooler blower style is likely preferred with this case. If I had a recommendation it would be air cooler and good air flow fans top and front with a blower style GPU or a 240 custom loop in front of case with blocks on GPU and CPU. That said I like the Phanteks PH-TC12DX CPU Cooler for Air cooling and a good EK kit for the watercooling note the extreme edition EK kits have the best fans and you'll need them.

Back