Looking for something to drive these DT-770 80ohm headphones.

• Thread starter Deleted member 89137
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89137

Hey, I used to have a Fiio e10 olympus but I sold it a while ago and have just been using my stereo receiver, which gets plenty loud but I'm sure that I'm sacrificing quality using this thing with my headphones. Was looking for either a sound card with a good headphone amp, or a USB DAC for just the headphones. What's the go-to these days? my motherboard audio won't get loud enough with these headphones unfortunately (gigabyte ga-ax370 gaming 1)

I'm leaning towards USB dac more than a sound card btw...

Depending on the receiver it could already be doing a good job and without a price bracket its hard to make recommendations
Have a look at https://www.schiit.com they make great dac/heaphone amps and the prices are reasonable imo. Modi/magni combo is great on a smaller budget.

Last edited:
its a pretty low end receiver, denon avr-1513
looking to spend about $100 I guess

For $100 you could get the Fulla.
Or if you you don't mind to spend a little more you could do a modi 2 + magni 3 from their b stock deal for $59 and $89 respectively (or the fulla for $79).

drop.com (massdrop.com) also has a few interesting dac/amp but I'm not too sure if they have anything in that price range that is worthwhile.

I've no clue on how good your receiver is (I prefer vintage audio gear) but if you don't mind getting a vintage receiver for headphone amp you could get any old sansui receiver (from ~1980 or before) if you like a warm sound. Something like a sansui 1000, 1000x, 2000, 2000x, 441, 551, 661, 5050, 6060 ... can often be had on the cheap and imho will outperform any headphone amp for similar price. Just pair it with a dac/sound card.

Last edited:
My Xonar U3 (which is positively ancient and USB-powered) can handle my 250Ohm DT880s.

You don't need much. This little guy for ~US$32 is well rated for the purpose. You can spend more if you want, but really, those cans don't ask for much!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back